The Student Room Group

french gcse CA help plzzzz

Hi I am so worried about my french gcse I am astarting my writing CA and in year 9 I basically mised a year of learning as I had a bad teacher and class so know close to nothing. Could u tell me what I need to get a A* PLEASE HELP as my teacher will jot help us and can someone tell me in a CA is the teacher allowed to check your work and correct you
Reply 1
This really depends on your exam board. As far as I know teachers are allowed to read your work and give general advice but not any specific pointers.

I would suggest starting off with the basic three tenses and making sure the foundation of your ca is secure. Make sure ideas are fully developed and flow on well from each other. This will in most cases guarantee you a C and even a B grade.

After that, look at including the conditional, simple future and imperfect tenses.

Use different pronouns.

Learn adverbs, adjectives and connectives, but don't overdo it.

Use idioms.

Vary how your sentences start.

If you are confident with this you could explore the subjunctive tense, but I suggest you focus on the stuff above first.
Reply 2
Original post by hksikh2000
x

Reply 3
Original post by hksikh2000
Hi I am so worried about my french gcse I am astarting my writing CA and in year 9 I basically mised a year of learning as I had a bad teacher and class so know close to nothing. Could u tell me what I need to get a A* PLEASE HELP as my teacher will jot help us and can someone tell me in a CA is the teacher allowed to check your work and correct you

Generally, I think teachers are allowed to check your work before the assessment but they can't give written feedback. To get an A* you need to use as much vocab as you can, three or more tenses (past present, future, perhaps imperfect and conditional) and lots of different sentence structures. Try to show off in the exam but always stay on topic- that was the fault I made in one of my speaking assessments. But, the most important thing is be confident- you're more likely to make mistakes if you're worried (again, something I did in one of my speaking assessments). Good luck with your assessment!! :smile:
Moved to the foreign languages forum :smile:
Normally they can check work and give general suggestions but aren't allowed to give specific corrections e.t.c.
Make sure what you do is solid and accurate.
Make sure it makes sense.
Use a range of tenses (accurately) and vocab
Use reasons and opinions to expand sentences (and use connectives)
Use a range of people
Make sure you learn it really well
Practice copying it out before hand under timed conditions
Hope it goes well :smile:
Definitely practice writing it out.
To learn it, visit 'Memorisenow.com'. It's really good.
Make sure you understand what you're saying in English. It sounds obvious, but a lot of people write really complex stuff and then expect to remember it in the exam when they can't remember it in English.
Use as many tenses as possible - Present, passé compose, imperfect, simple future AND future, conditional.
To really impress the examiner, use moods like the subjunctive.
Be interesting - I think your teacher will mark it but if it doesn't stand out then it'll get a mediocre grade.
When you think you've finished your draft, go through it with highlighters and highlight all of your opinions, reasons, complex vocabulary and tenses. If it isn't really colourful at the end then add stuff.
Make sure you don't repeat yourself too much, even in the small words. One of my criticisms at A-level is that I use 'beaucoup' too much. It's an easy fix.
Hope this helps, really good luck! :smile:

The teacher can't mark your draft for the CAU, but it's useful (and less time-consuming) to use paragraphs that your teacher's already corrected if they fit with the task. You need to use lots of extended sentences, as many tenses as you can and a wide vocabulary. Good luck :smile:

It's important to give lots of opinions with explanations (at least 2), using phrases like -
à mon avis = in my opinion
d'après moi = in my view
je crois que = I believe that
je pense que = I think that
parce que = because
à cause de = because of
car = because

And need some good phrases/idioms to include to make it A* standard -
j'essaie de + infintive = I try to ...
d'un côté ... / de l'autre côté ... = on one side / on the other side
après avoir + past participle = after having ...ed
il pleuvait des cordes = it was raining cats and dogs (literally: it was raining cords)
je vais faire la grasse matinée = I am going to have a lie in (literally: fat morning)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Thank you all so much I have done it and I think it went ok, please could you possibly help with my other post about english thankss xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending