The Student Room Group

Are all the white Brits secretly bitching about immigrants?

So today I had to endure a 30 min conversation while waiting for the bus with a middle aged couple about how leicester is "not safe" and "too multicultural" and how they'd rather things were like when they were growing up.

A conversation sparked by them asking me if they missed their bus.

I don't know. They didn't strike me as racist or bigoted but their comments were slightly disconcerting and made me wonder if all white brits have these thoughts.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't know. Are all non whites you see at these bus stops going away and generalising about all white people? If so it seems only fair, and if not then maybe, just maybe, it's silly to judge people by their skin colour in this day and age.

:hat2:
Reply 2
I've had similar experiences at a bus stop. Just twice in the past year though. In both cases white pensioners ranting at Asian bus drivers (going as far as "monkey" name-calling and spitting (on the ground) in one case, honestly I think maybe the woman was a bit deranged).
Reply 3
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
I don't know. Are all non whites you see at these bus stops going away and generalising about all white people? If so it seems only fair, and if not then maybe, just maybe, it's silly to judge people by their skin colour in this day and age.

:hat2:

Fair enough.
Reply 4
Original post by llys
I've had similar experiences at a bus stop. Just twice in the past year though. In both cases white pensioners ranting at Asian bus drivers (going as far as "monkey" name-calling and spitting (on the ground) in one case, honestly I think maybe the woman was a bit deranged).

The thing is they weren't ranting. They were making slightly out of the line comments under the guise of jovial small talk. To me it seemed like they were not racist or at least aware of their prejudiced views.
No, I tend to bitch about people bitching about how immigrants are "taking all the jobs" (they aren't, they do the jobs the English refuse to do ffs).....…
Reply 6
yes
because two white brits think it
all white brits think it
definitely
Reply 7
Original post by Celise Waan
The thing is they weren't ranting. They were making slightly out of the line comments under the guise of jovial small talk. To me it seemed like they were not racist or at least aware of their prejudiced views.

Yes, I realised after posting that my examples were hardly "secret".

I think what you describe is ok to be honest, unless they were using racist or offensive language. They have a right to voice their concerns even if they are non-PC. I think it is potentially very damaging to suppress people's opinions or dismiss them as racist, because in that case they will fester, people will become bitter and disengaged and that process may actually turn someone who started out with concerns dismissed as racist into a racist. Better to discuss it out in the open IMO.
I'm white and I love Leicester. I loved growing up somewhere where multiculturalism was just a part of everyday life. I didn't even realise how ethnically diverse Leicester was until I moved to uni in York and was shocked by how white the majority of people are. So no, not all white people think like those two people you overheard at the bus stop.
Reply 9
Original post by llys
Yes, I realised after posting that my examples were hardly "secret".

I think what you describe is ok to be honest, unless they were using racist or offensive language. They have a right to voice their concerns even if they are non-PC. I think it is potentially very damaging to suppress people's opinions or dismiss them as racist, because in that case they will fester, people will become bitter and disengaged and that process may actually turn someone who started out with concerns dismissed as racist into a racist. Better to discuss it out in the open IMO.

Alright but my question is why ask me the time and if they missed their bus if they hold these bigoted beliefs why even engage in small talk with me?
Original post by Kaiju
yes
because two white brits think it
all white brits think it
definitely

Also, those Muslim folk. Out of that 1.6billion people, that guy with the beard who lives round the corner was saying he hates white people at bus stops. Therefore all 1.6billion of them do.

And that Irish man, I saw a drunk one on the tv the other day. They must all be drunk.

Also that chinese kid was really good at maths, apparently they all are.

It's funny how often these arguments repeat themselves across the forum. I often find it strangely comforting, knowing that deep down we all have some things in common, such as being able to see racism in others and not see it in ourselves.
Reply 11
Also, those Muslim folk. Out of that 1.6billion people, that guy with the beard who lives round the corner was saying he hates white people at bus stops. Therefore all 1.6billion of them do.

And that Irish man, I saw a drunk one on the tv the other day. They must all be drunk.

It's funny how often these arguments repeat themselves across the forum. I often find it strangely comforting, knowing that deep down we all have some things in common, such as being able to see racism in others and not see it in ourselves.

So you're saying I'm racist?
Reply 12
Alright but my question is why ask me the time and if they missed their bus if they hold these bigoted beliefs why even engage in small talk with me?

Were they older / retirement age? This happens a lot to me, older people trying to make conversation.
Reply 13
Original post by llys
Were they older / retirement age? This happens a lot to me, older people trying to make conversation.

No they were in their late 40s. We all came out of the hospital together. They appeared well educated in fact when I told them I go to leicester uni they were eager to tell me they had graduated from their.
Reply 14

exactly this.
I'd probably find the hypocrisy infuriating if I wasn't such a narcissist

honestly, for a place full of A* students TSR plays host to some really backwards thought patterns.
Reply 15
So you're saying I'm racist?

I don't think he's saying you're racist but the suggestion that because two white people said it, all of us probably think it is borderline prejudice.
If I compare it to asking "I saw two black guys steal a bike, so are all black males thieves?" you'd probably call me out for talking nonsense.
Reply 16
No they were in their late 40s. We all came out of the hospital together. They appeared well educated in fact when I told them I go to leicester uni they were eager to tell me they had graduated from their.

Well, maybe they were just feeling chatty, or did you feel like they were trying to put you down? If they were chatty in a friendly way, but prejudiced in some of what they said, I would put it down to ignorance or nostalgia (in the case of "I wish it was more like when I grew up") rather than racism.
Reply 17
Original post by Kaiju
I don't think he's saying you're racist but the suggestion that because two white people said it, all of us probably think it is borderline prejudice.
If I compare it to asking "I saw two black guys steal a bike, so are all black males thieves?" you'd probably call me out for talking nonsense.

Stealing is not really comparable to being accused of being racist though. thiefs are universally bad so the racist thing is that you're associating black people with something negative. Where as racism in some places it's perpetuated and I feel the exchange at the bus stop demonstrated that, they had the advantage since it's their country. I don't know. I felt attacked even though the comments weren't directed at me and they seemed interested in my studies.
Only reason were here its cuz they practically begged our great gran or gran parents to come over when they needed people to work for them. It didnt matter that they took over india (then pakistan and bangladesh too) and stole from there. Just cant win with them..
tbh the immigrants that work hard and pay taxes are okay. The ones that come over here to sponge and take advantage of our silly benefit system are the ones that need to be done something about (that goes for the white brits that sponge off it too). We need to change how the benefit system works so people dont take advantage of it and contribute towards taxes and running this country.
Yeah, I'd go as far as to say more than half of the population harbours views like this, although it's not always immediately obvious. Generally, though, it's the older and middle aged folks; the younger people tend to be a lot more accepting (From my experience) so it's getting a bit better I'd say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending