The Student Room Group

Are students living in poverty?

Scroll to see replies

Council Tax = tax support). 0
Bedroom Tax = 0
Water charges = £30
Cheapest Phone & Broadband = £35 (not cheapest, I want fibre optic.)
TV Licence = 0
Electricity British Gas prepay meter = I pay every £25 every 3 months so £8 a month
Gas British Gas prepay meter = I pay every £25 every 3 months so £8 a month
Travel = I pay £800 a year bus pass, so 66 a month [note my pass is only valid from September - July]
Mobile Phone: £20 a month
Rent: 0

Total per month : £201

Income = £240 wages + £475 loan = £715

Money left for food = £514.

But I put all of my student loan (except the £800 I take out for my bus pass) and £50 a month into my savings account... so really I live off £89 a month = £22.25 a week.
Original post by Rakas21
Money left for food = £48 per week

You won't be eating caviar with that. :lol:

I'm a student and I live like the pampered ******* I am.
Original post by felamaslen
You won't be eating caviar with that. :lol:

I'm a student and I live like the pampered ******* I am.

A good healthy diet only requires about £20.

I should add that i get a £1k bursary on top of that.
Original post by Rakas21
A good healthy diet only requires about £20.

I should add that i get a £1k bursary on top of that.

I'm quite lucky; I get a £2k bursary as well as some money from grandparents.

But yeah, if you shop wisely you can eat quite cheaply.
Original post by Reue

I don't believe that either students or those on benefits are living in poverty unless it's self inflicted.

Not really. Not by the time you include things like having to top up your rent, paying council tax, etc. on £72 a week.
Reply 25
Original post by OU Student
Not really. Not by the time you include things like having to top up your rent, paying council tax, etc. on £72 a week.

Those on £72 a week wouldn't be paying either of those
Original post by Reue
Those on £72 a week wouldn't be paying either of those

Yes, they would. No-one of working age gets their full council tax paid and if their rent is higher than what the local council will pay, they have to pay the excess.
Reply 27
Yes, they would. No-one of working age gets their full council tax paid and if their rent is higher than what the local council will pay, they have to pay the excess.

When I last checked a few months ago; my local borough council offered up to 100% discounts for low income households. And if their rent is higher, perhaps they should move. I've little sympathy for those on benefits and still living in central London or other high rent areas. as it seems the London councils have little sympathy either now that they've begun allocating housing outside of the city instead.
Original post by Reue
When I last checked a few months ago; my local borough council offered up to 100% discounts for low income households. And if their rent is higher, perhaps they should move. I've little sympathy for those on benefits and still living in central London or other high rent areas. as it seems the London councils have little sympathy either now that they've begun allocating housing outside of the city instead.

:eek:

That's certainly unusual. I've never heard of anything like that, I was looking up council tax stuff just the other day, nowhere did it say it was possible to get a 100% discount on council tax.
Original post by parentlurker
Think this is fantasy too. Even poor students dont always get enough to cover their accommodation and food, most students have loans. This is not free money, they have to be repaid.

However I agree that the fuel costs seemed very high, even for prepay meters. Many suppliers have discount schemes for those in fuel poverty too.

Whelp, call it fantasy all you like but I just went and did it, and know all of my friends went and did it too :dontknow:

If you're struggling financially at uni and getting the max loan: You're doing it wrong.

Sorry to sound harsh but it is a huge amount of money, and it's pretty impressive that consistently students go out and spend it all on clothes and gadgets every loan day then have the nerve to say students are poor. The reality is it's the first time they've had to budget and they're **** at it. :lol:
Original post by Reue

In some places, they're having to pay anything up to 25% of their council tax - like where I am. And move where? There isn't always somewhere cheaper to move to. And then there's the costs of moving...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 31
In some places, they're having to pay anything up to 25% of their council tax - like where I am. And move where? There isn't always somewhere cheaper to move to. And then there's the costs of moving...

so they're having to pay up to £25 a month, £6 a week? Buy 2 less pints down the pub on a Friday.

Im not convinced there isn't anywhere in the country which does not have social housing avaliable for rates without requiring a top up above the council's contribution.
Original post by Reue
so they're having to pay up to £25 a month, £6 a week? Buy 2 less pints down the pub on a Friday.

Im not convinced there isn't anywhere in the country which does not have social housing avaliable for rates without requiring a top up above the council's contribution.

There is social housing. But even as someone who disabled and lives somewhere unsuitable, I am facing anything up to a 10 year wait...

Not everyone on benefits drinks. I don't.
Reply 33
There is social housing. But even as someone who disabled and lives somewhere unsuitable, I am facing anything up to a 10 year wait...

Not everyone on benefits drinks. I don't.

so you're living in poverty? :s
Original post by Reue
so you're living in poverty? :s

I never said that. I am talking about how it really is for many people - they are having to pay some council tax regardless of their income, they may have to pay some of their rent, etc. They may not be able to afford two pints down the pub on a Friday.
Reply 35
I never said that. I am talking about how it really is for many people - they are having to pay some council tax regardless of their income, they may have to pay some of their rent, etc. They may not be able to afford two pints down the pub on a Friday.

Well if it's not you, how do you know these many people are living in poverty?

Please ask some of them for a breakdown of their expenses and post it here so we can take a look. I reckon you'll not find a single one who might claim to not have enough money for food and yet doesn't have a phone contract or buy alcohol etc.
Original post by SophieSmall
:eek:

That's certainly unusual. I've never heard of anything like that, I was looking up council tax stuff just the other day, nowhere did it say it was possible to get a 100% discount on council tax.

It's up to individual councils now, where I'm at uni those on low incomes don't pay anything for council tax still (as well as students) where as my home council charges one of the highest rates.
Part time student, working full time.

Council Tax = £70/mo
Bedroom Tax = £0
Water charges = £0
Phone & Broadband = £45/mo
TV Licence = £12/mo
Satellite = £80/mo
EDF Electricity = £40/mo
EDF Gas = £40/mo
Travel = £0

Total = £287/mo (£3,444/yr).

Income = £60,000 (est.)

Money left for food = £56,556

This is incredibly elementary mind and doesn't account for all other expenses, property and taxes that I owe both in the UK and France, especially as your set plan is actually worryingly constraint, it's designed to aim people to go for X when they should be going for Y.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Also please include a comment in how society could help you? Thank you for a insight into your lives.

I'm okay cheers.
Original post by Reue
Well if it's not you, how do you know these many people are living in poverty?

Please ask some of them for a breakdown of their expenses and post it here so we can take a look. I reckon you'll not find a single one who might claim to not have enough money for food and yet doesn't have a phone contract or buy alcohol etc.

Majority of Job Seekers with Iphones have got Broken Iphones off Ebay and fixed them. Some Job Seekers have had presents gave to them and some have resulted to crime whether it be stealing or buying stolen goods.

You wouldn't believe what heroin addicts do. They will steal anything and sell it dirt cheap. As long as they get their fix that is all they care about.

Now as for alcohol it is dirt cheap anyway. You can go to Lidil and get a can of Larger for 50p or 2 litre bottle of Cider for £2. Sure your get homeless benefit claimants resulting to drinking booze but put yourself in their situation right now. The average temperature of the country is around 5c outside at night. If you don't have something warm to keep your insides hot it won't be long till you end up dead on a park bench.

Also a lot of poor people are more inclined to break the law. When it comes to growing Cannabis its a win - win situation for most poor people. Get a crop worth a couple of grand every 4 months or go to jail and get free food & accommodation.

It is so easy to make negative comments about vulnerable people. Its harder stepping in their shoes and living their life.

But the question is if Job Seekers is enough? I talk to a lot of Job Seekers regular because I know that I could loose my job any day and be in their position.

The I'm alright jack attitude or Screw you I've got mine attitude has got to stop.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 39
Majority of Job Seekers with Iphones have got Broken Iphones off Ebay and fixed them. Some Job Seekers have had presents gave to them and some have resulted to crime whether it be stealing or buying stolen goods.

How on earth can you begin to say that a majority of them have been fixes? Any evidence?

You wouldn't believe what heroin addicts do. They will steal anything and sell it dirt cheap. As long as they get their fix that is all they care about.

I do believe it. And as I said: self-inflicted poverty.

Now as for alcohol it is dirt cheap anyway. You can go to Lidil and get a can of Larger for 50p or 2 litre bottle of Cider for £2.

Again: self-inflicted

Also a lot of poor people are more inclined to break the law.

You've gone from defending them to making sweeping generalisations.

When it comes to growing Cannabis its a win - win situation for most poor people. Get a crop worth a couple of grand every 4 months or go to jail and get free food & accommodation.

What's this got to do with benefit poverty?

It is so easy to make negative comments about vulnerable people. Its harder stepping in their shoes and living their life.

It IS easy because the maths is easy. It's even easier when you have been on benefits and have been in their shoes. It's even more easier when you've been in their shoes but not had any benefits to rely on either.

But the question is if Job Seekers is enough?

Yes

The I'm alright jack attitude or Screw you I've got mine attitude has got to stop.

Why? You've yet to show me any evidence or reasonable arguments suggesting that those on benefits are unable to feed themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending