The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

Applicants 2015

Concerned about entry requirements? Worried about the pesonal statement? Halls or private accommodation? Ask us! We are here to help! We can offer advice and support to anyone considering QMU as their university choice for September 2015. Post your questions here, or private message us for more information.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there,
I am a EU perspective undergrad student currently applying at QMU.
When would be the appropriate time to think about applying for
accomodation? Is there a guarantee that I get a place in halls?

Greetings :smile:
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Original post by aulaami
Hi there,
I am a EU perspective undergrad student currently applying at QMU.
When would be the appropriate time to think about applying for
accomodation? Is there a guarantee that I get a place in halls?

Greetings :smile:

Hi there! Our accommodation applications will open from April 2015, the process is all done online and will be allocated on first-come basis. Therefore it is recommended you apply once you have been made an offer. We will prioritise students based on year of study, geographical factors etc. so it is highly likely you will be made an offer to stay on campus. Further details on the prices etc. can be found on our website: www.qmu.ac.uk/accommodation and this is also where you apply from.

I hope this helps!
Charlotte (TSR Official Rep)
Reply 3
Can anyone give any information on the location of uni and accomodation? Applied for biological sciences :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Concerned about entry requirements? Worried about the pesonal statement? Halls or private accommodation? Ask us! We are here to help! We can offer advice and support to anyone considering QMU as their university choice for September 2015. Post your questions here, or private message us for more information.

Hello!
I am interested about the application sent by UCAS. For example, if I send it now how long it will take till I receive an answer?
Thank you very much!
Original post by rosie111
Can anyone give any information on the location of uni and accomodation? Applied for biological sciences :smile:

Hey! Our campus is located on the East side of Edinburgh, right next to the train station at Musselburgh which takes 7 minutes to reach the city centre. We have lots of facilities nearby: accommodation, sports facilities, library and students' union on campus; large shopping area 15 minute walk away at Fort Kinnaird with lots of shops, supermarkets, restaurants and shortly an Odeon cinema; Musselburgh is around 20 minutes walk from campus and has many pubs and cafes as well as supermarkets and other amenities.

Accommodation on campus is available for all of our students, we have a total of 800 bedrooms. More details and pictures can be found on the website: www.qmu.ac.uk/accommodation if you wanted to 'see' a room. The majority of students will stay on campus in first year, as it's so close to the teaching building but Edinburgh city centre is still easily accessible, and then may look to stay in the city for their second year. The Students' Union has some helpful guides for looking at private accommodation, and knowing your rights as a tenant, so check out www.qmusu.org.uk for more info.

Hope this helps! Charlotte (TSR Official Rep)
Original post by Iulia7
Hello!
I am interested about the application sent by UCAS. For example, if I send it now how long it will take till I receive an answer?
Thank you very much!

Hi there! The UCAS application deadline is 15th January and it is after this date when we start to make our decisions, as we review all applications submitted by the deadline together. Because we review the applications so thoroughly it can take time, and how long until you hear back will also depend on how competitive your course it. For some programs, you could expect and answer by mid February, but for the really competitive ones (with 700+ applications) it may be March at the earliest. There's not a set decision timescale, and when there are a number of closely matched applicants the decisions are really difficult, but the UCAS deadline for us to respond by is 31st March, so you will hear by then at the latest.

Sorry I can't be more specific - we process applications as quickly as possible but we also want to give everyone a fair chance and this takes time.
Hi, do you have a list of societies?
Hey - yes we do! Our Student's Union webpage has a current list of registered societies qmusu.org.uk
As societies are student-led they can change, and you can start your own if you have a particular hobby/interest not currently represented! The SU will provide money to help you set up a society. The opportunities are endless!
How many people apply to your Bsc psychology course? And when do you expect roughly to present offers for this and the joint psychology/sociology course
I sent my UCAS application on 11th December 2014 to study Diagnostic Radiography at QMU from September 2015. I have received confirmation from QMU that they have received my application. I was wondering when does QMU start inviting student to interviews?? I'm far to excited....can't wait.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CiaranFarren
I sent my UCAS application on 11th December 2014 to study Diagnostic Radiography at QMU from September 2015. I have received confirmation from QMU that they have received my application. I was wondering when does QMU start inviting student to interviews?? I'm far to excited....can't wait.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there! Thanks for choosing QMU :smile: We will begin making decisions after the deadline (tomorrow) however it is a lengthy process to read every application so you would usually hear from us after the start of February at the earliest. Interviews will take place mid-March. Best of luck!
Charlotte (Official TSR QMU Rep)
Original post by Millies1997
How many people apply to your Bsc psychology course? And when do you expect roughly to present offers for this and the joint psychology/sociology course

Hi! For our Psychology course we will typically have 300+ applications for around 40 places, so there is a bit of competition. As mentioned before, we review all applications submitted thoroughly so you should expect to hear any time from the start of February. The joint course will be similar, as a lot who apply to Psychology also apply to the joint one.
when will you release the offers for the film and media bsc courses?
Original post by poppyseeds123
when will you release the offers for the film and media bsc courses?

Hi! We will again start decision making this week so by early Feb I would expect you to have heard. If you've not heard by then, get in touch with the admissions office to check.
Hi I have applied for the Drama and Performance course this year for 2015. I was wondering how many people usually apply for the course and how many applicants are accepted to this course? Also when I can expect to get a response to my application? Thank-you
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DanniCarla
Hi I have applied for the Drama and Performance course this year for 2015. I was wondering how many people usually apply for the course and how many applicants are accepted to this course? Also when I can expect to get a response to my application? Thank-you

Hi there! We will usually have 400+ applications for Drama & Performance, with around 60-70 places on the course each year. Because there's no audition we make the decisions with the personal statement as the biggest focus. Usually decisions will be finalised from February, so I'd expect to hear by mid-February.
How many applications do QMU normally receive to study Diagnostic Radiography? How many are normally shortlisted to interview? How many places are they normally on the course?
Original post by CiaranFarren
How many applications do QMU normally receive to study Diagnostic Radiography? How many are normally shortlisted to interview? How many places are they normally on the course?

Hey! For Diagnostic Radiography we will have usually 28 places with around 400+ applicants. Interview numbers could be around 100 but it will depend on overall applications and their individual strengths. A strong personal statement is key. Good luck!
Hi, I sent my application in October so look forward to hearing back soon! Do you know how many applicants you get for your podiatry course and how many you take in? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest