The Student Room Group

Bournemouth uni or University of Hertfordshire master in IT

Hi guys.
I am going to apply for master in one of these unis. So what do you think is better ?
i am going to do master in IT
Reply 1
Neither is particularly well known for computing or highly ranked in the various undergrad league tables. Both are relatively new unis.

What sort of criteria are you using to judge "better"? What are you hoping to get from the course?
Reply 2
I went to Herts for undergrad. I didn't do IT, but I think the uni isn't really known for that department. Why have you chosen those two universities?
Reply 3
Original post by Klix88
Neither is particularly well known for computing or highly ranked in the various undergrad league tables. Both are relatively new unis.

What sort of criteria are you using to judge "better"? What are you hoping to get from the course?

Yes both unis are new. The criteria like labs and tutors.
Reply 4
Original post by kwassa
I went to Herts for undergrad. I didn't do IT, but I think the uni isn't really known for that department. Why have you chosen those two universities?

It says on Herts website the computer school one of the best schools in the UK
i have chosen these unis
1 Bournemouth Uni. I live in Bournemouth
2 Herts not far from London and I would like to get new experience
Reply 5
Original post by Khaled_2010
It says on Herts website the computer school one of the best schools in the UK
i have chosen these unis
1 Bournemouth Uni. I live in Bournemouth
2 Herts not far from London and I would like to get new experience

I knew some people who did the CS course and they said it was pretty good. I suppose if the course modules are what you're after, then it would be a good fit for you! :smile:

As for Hatfield, it's not aesthetically pleasing by any means, but it's got what you need, in terms of some shops and the university. St. Albans is better, only ten or so minutes driving. Bus takes a bit longer, though. The walk to the train station got a bit annoying after a few months, as I tended to go into London every weekend. (I'm from a big city, and the uni town felt very small. Also I did an art subject so visited the galleries a lot.) I had a very up-and-down experience of Herts, partly due to personal reasons, but if you like the university then that's all that matters really.
Reply 6
Original post by kwassa
I knew some people who did the CS course and they said it was pretty good. I suppose if the course modules are what you're after, then it would be a good fit for you! :smile:

As for Hatfield, it's not aesthetically pleasing by any means, but it's got what you need, in terms of some shops and the university. St. Albans is better, only ten or so minutes driving. Bus takes a bit longer, though. The walk to the train station got a bit annoying after a few months, as I tended to go into London every weekend. (I'm from a big city, and the uni town felt very small. Also I did an art subject so visited the galleries a lot.) I had a very up-and-down experience of Herts, partly due to personal reasons, but if you like the university then that's all that matters really.

I really would like to go to one of London Unis but the fees high there and life too:frown:, but i think it is good to be near London
thanks for your advice :smile::smile:
Reply 7
I really would like to go to one of London Unis but the fees high there and life too:frown:, but i think it is good to be near London
thanks for your advice :smile::smile:

I hear you on the budget side of things! It's why I'm wanting to stay in the Midlands for postgrad. I paid around £350 in a three-bedroomed houseshare in Hatfield, excluding bills. The houses are all pretty similar in Hatfield, some need maintenance (I didn't enjoy speaking to the lettings agents), but that price seemed alright for somewhere close to London. Good bus links to north London from the university, if you wanted to be a bit closer, too.
I never really thought the postgrad community at Herts was too well known, and I met a lot of people. I don't think it is on the Herts forum either, so if they've got a postgraduate open day coming up, I recommend going to one of those rather than the general ones. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by kwassa
I hear you on the budget side of things! It's why I'm wanting to stay in the Midlands for postgrad. I paid around £350 in a three-bedroomed houseshare in Hatfield, excluding bills. The houses are all pretty similar in Hatfield, some need maintenance (I didn't enjoy speaking to the lettings agents), but that price seemed alright for somewhere close to London. Good bus links to north London from the university, if you wanted to be a bit closer, too.
I never really thought the postgrad community at Herts was too well known, and I met a lot of people. I don't think it is on the Herts forum either, so if they've got a postgraduate open day coming up, I recommend going to one of those rather than the general ones. :smile:

the open day was on 2/11 so I miss it :colone::colone::colone:. And I would like to start in January 2015
the open day was on 2/11 so I miss it :colone::colone::colone:. And I would like to start in January 2015

Hi Khaled,

I've just come across this thread. We actually have a postgraduate open day this afternoon. I know it's late notice but if you're in Bournemouth at all and have time later today, do come along.

Regards,
Joyce

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending