The Student Room Group

Awkward first date

I met a guy online last week and he asked me out for a drink. I was certain all would be well and he wasn't a catfish. On the phone we got on like a house on fire, so I knew we wouldn't run out of things to talk about as such - forgetting I'm the shyest person ever.
When I first saw him I thought he didn't look like his pics, he took his pics from a certain angle mostly to draw attention away from certain features. I didn't feel attracted to him at all and I was upset about it cos we got on really well.

I said/did all the wrong things throughout the date. I didn't quite get his humour at times and I had far too any blonde moments ( not my normal everyday behaviour). I started to feel more relaxed when we played video games in the arcade, I sucked at everything which again doesn't usually happen. After a cocktail I felt even more relaxed and we spent more time getting to know each other.

I was still questioning if I was attracted to him or not. I know I can be picky however if there is no attraction it can't be forced. I looked around the room more times than I looked at him, I kept looking at my bag and being so damn weird. When he finally said it was time to go home I felt a little sad. I enjoyed talking to him. We shared the most awkward hug at the end.

Although I'm not 100% sure I'm attracted to him, I had a good night. For once I didn't feel like running in the opposite direction, I messaged him as soon as I got home and today I messaged him to apologised for my awkwardness. He wants to see me again! Soo we'll see how this one goes. He just asked if this is my normal behaviour and I told him the truth - I am a shy person when I first meet people. Thankfully he wasn't freaked out.

My question: as you know I wasn't instantly attracted to him and still uncertain. Do you think it's a good idea for me to out with him again? I mean maybe I need to spend more time with him to find out....
well...you're not leading him on and technically he did lead you on a bit with his attraction angles..

go for the second date and if you don't feel it...then cut it off
That is why you should never EVER use a dating site. You may have avoided the scam pitfalls but you haven't avoided the lies. We lie about ourselves all the time when we're online.

Even though you had a good time, as you said you weren't sure about him being your perfect match. Sorry, that's not how it goes. No one falls in love at first sight. You have to get to know each other over a long period of time and share common interests, then you decide whether to commit to a relationship with each other.
Agree with Shawn, dating people you meet and know in person saves yourself the awkwardness of going on a date with someone you're immediately not even attracted to, let alone the rest, and on top of the scammy/catfish/wierdo bent.

This has been a fine lesson at the obscuring and deceptive nature on online interaction. They can present the best possible image of themselves and then your mind can fill in the rest to create this sense of being a great match.

If you wan to give him a second date just to make sure that is perfectly fine, just to make sure it wasn't shock and nerves and shyness.

Best of luck.
Original post by bittr n swt
well...you're not leading him on and technically he did lead you on a bit with his attraction angles..

go for the second date and if you don't feel it...then cut it off

Thanks. I can't get over the angles, I'm not totally freaked out by it I don't think. But we shall see if I decided to go on another date
Honestly I was in the same position as you. I wasn't attracted to the guy but we had a great time and he was a nice person so went on a second date. Fast forward 4 and half years and we're still together. If I were you I'd give the second date a try

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shawn_o1
That is why you should never EVER use a dating site. You may have avoided the scam pitfalls but you haven't avoided the lies. We lie about ourselves all the time when we're online.

Even though you had a good time, as you said you weren't sure about him being your perfect match. Sorry, that's not how it goes. No one falls in love at first sight. You have to get to know each other over a long period of time and share common interests, then you decide whether to commit to a relationship with each other.

Lol I wasn't expecting him to be the perfect match. I know how dating works, I was a little annoyed by the fact he took his pictures from his 'best angles'.

People lie period! Whether it's online or offline.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by donutaud15
Honestly I was in the same position as you. I wasn't attracted to the guy but we had a great time and he was a nice person so went on a second date. Fast forward 4 and half years and we're still together. If I were you I'd give the second date a try

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww I'm glad it worked out for you! He's mentioned going on another date, so I'm considering it.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Agree with Shawn, dating people you meet and know in person saves yourself the awkwardness of going on a date with someone you're immediately not even attracted to, let alone the rest, and on top of the scammy/catfish/wierdo bent.

This has been a fine lesson at the obscuring and deceptive nature on online interaction. They can present the best possible image of themselves and then your mind can fill in the rest to create this sense of being a great match.

If you wan to give him a second date just to make sure that is perfectly fine, just to make sure it wasn't shock and nerves and shyness.

Best of luck.

Thanks. I now realise this! I thought I'd try something different.. I've met some cool people online over the years and bumped into a few in person here and there. I've never gone out of my way to meet someone like this. My past experiences lead me to believe I wouldn't come across a situation like this (naive of me I know)
Original post by phunky_fresh
I met a guy online last week and he asked me out for a drink. I was certain all would be well and he wasn't a catfish. On the phone we got on like a house on fire, so I knew we wouldn't run out of things to talk about as such - forgetting I'm the shyest person ever.
When I first saw him I thought he didn't look like his pics, he took his pics from a certain angle mostly to draw attention away from certain features. I didn't feel attracted to him at all and I was upset about it cos we got on really well.

I said/did all the wrong things throughout the date. I didn't quite get his humour at times and I had far too any blonde moments ( not my normal everyday behaviour). I started to feel more relaxed when we played video games in the arcade, I sucked at everything which again doesn't usually happen. After a cocktail I felt even more relaxed and we spent more time getting to know each other.

I was still questioning if I was attracted to him or not. I know I can be picky however if there is no attraction it can't be forced. I looked around the room more times than I looked at him, I kept looking at my bag and being so damn weird. When he finally said it was time to go home I felt a little sad. I enjoyed talking to him. We shared the most awkward hug at the end.

Although I'm not 100% sure I'm attracted to him, I had a good night. For once I didn't feel like running in the opposite direction, I messaged him as soon as I got home and today I messaged him to apologised for my awkwardness. He wants to see me again! Soo we'll see how this one goes. He just asked if this is my normal behaviour and I told him the truth - I am a shy person when I first meet people. Thankfully he wasn't freaked out.

My question: as you know I wasn't instantly attracted to him and still uncertain. Do you think it's a good idea for me to out with him again? I mean maybe I need to spend more time with him to find out....

At least you're a good person to giving things a chance :smile: I sometime get nervous too but now i've become slightly outgoing but still a bit unsure of things lol. I've not been on a date for a long time though.
Original post by Flyingaround
At least you're a good person to giving things a chance :smile: I sometime get nervous too but now i've become slightly outgoing but still a bit unsure of things lol. I've not been on a date for a long time though.

I haven't been on a date in over a year. I'm always quick to run away instead of seeing how things go. I'm sure once you are back in the dating game your progress will show :smile:
I haven't been on a date in over a year. I'm always quick to run away instead of seeing how things go. I'm sure once you are back in the dating game your progress will show :smile:

yeah :smile:
Oh gees, if your questioning then just leave it.
I met a few guys online, over the phone, text, facebook we got on brilliantly and they seemed really nice genuine people until I met them in person, so strange. I had around 3 dates like this. I was a total bitch after meeting them, they were so odd! I never contacted them again, just deleted and blocked them hahaha.
I finally met my current partner online, been together just over a year, was a totally random message, he was wearing a fancy dress chicken suit in his photos!
Good luck finding Mr right :smile:

Do you think he was attracted to you? Works both ways.

This is why online dating doesn't work. In future meet people in real life, then you will know whether you're attracted to them or not and you won't waste an evening of both of your time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending