The Student Room Group

Sertraline making me depressed

Hi guys,

I've been taking Aripiprazole for many years and a couple of days ago my psychiatrist prescribed me sertraline. The problem is that after a couple fo days taking it I started to actually feel depressed (although I didn't feel great before, I wasn't feeling bad either).

So, my question is, has anyone on sertraline experienced this? If so, how long can it last?

By the way, I used to take sertraline some years ago and I don't remember experiencing such unpleasant effect (maybe when I used to take it I was very depressed so I attributed it to the depression).

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply 1
Never taken anything for depression, not that I haven't had depression
Reply 2
Original post by Loat
I certainly got worse for a few weeks when I started sertraline, but was fine after that. Maybe 2/3 weeks, it was a couple of years ago so I can't remember exactly.

Keep in contact with your GP about it though.

Thanks for replying, guys.

Ok, then I guess it's normal. Hope it doesn't take too long to go away.
This one was really bad for me, I felt tired all the time and just awful. It lasted for months, even with dosage changes.
Reply 4
The funny thing is I had taken sertraline before and it had helped me to cope with my depression at the time.

Anyway, since yesterday I started to take half the dose my psychiatrist prescribed and I'm feeling much better now.

Cheers!
Sertraline takes weeks to get properly into your system so I doubt the depression you felt was because of it :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest