The Student Room Group

Need Help!!

I just started the IBDP year 1 and I want to do Computer Science in the US. My school doesn't offer computer science the subject.

My subjects are

1. Maths HL

2.English A HL

3. ITGS HL (online)

4. Hindi SL

5. ESS SL

6. Business management SL

I thought as my school doesn't offer computer science I opted for the online ITGS course and I am not very good at Physics but my maths skill are very good

So are these subjects fine for computer science
Reply 1
You've chosen higher level maths so that is good. But i'd make a couple of changes to your other subject choices as they aren't the best for computer science. Firstly, 3 of the subjects (ESS, B&M, ITGS) you've chosen are what are considering to be 'soft' subjects by universities. This will significantly reduce your chances of getting accepted as CS is a very competitive course. Secondly, you're better off with physics as it relates to computer science in a way and your bound to do a physics class or two at college as a CS major. So drop ESS & take physics SL. I'd also recommend dropping B&M and taking economics - they're are pretty related, however, econ is a respected subject & is actually easier to get a 7 in than B&M. Stick with ITGS if you want to as it sort of relates to CS. But maybe consider moving it to SL as uni's care less about SL subjects so doing SL ITGS won't hinder your chances where as HL might as unis discourage taking soft subjects at HL.

Take either of these combo's:

Maths HL
English A HL
Economics HL
Hindi SL
Physics SL
ITGS SL

Or

Maths HL
English A HL
ITGS HL
Physics SL