The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

MSc Public Policy UCL 2015/16

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place.

Anyone else received an offer for postgrad studies at UCL? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JoshJamesGray

Hey, just giving this thread a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply :smile:

Have you found University Connect yet? It's super useful for finding other people on your course/at your university! :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Hello. Yes. MSc International Public Policy offer. Considering it. Out of interest, what made you go for the PP rather than the IPP?
Hey! Well done with the offer!! Where else are you applying?

Well, I did my undergrad degree in International Relations and Politics and focused heavily on international relations theory, international organisations, IPE and global economic governance. From what I can see these areas are what really distinguish the IPP and PP programmes at UCL so didn't have any real desire to take similar units at masters level. That said, if I go to UCL I will be taking the Global Public Policy course as one of my options, to have some diversity.
Reply 4
I'm planning on submitting my application for the MSc International Public Policy program by January 2015 :-)

However, I'm just slightly worried about my degree background. I graduated from the Norwegian Univ. of Science and Technology recently with a BSc Economics, in which I deliberately spent my entire last year in the program taking quantitative modules designed for first-year MSc Economics students at my local university. Nevertheless, with the courses such as IPE and Comparative Political Economy being offered by the MSc IPP program, I'm hoping that I'll not be standing in complete disadvantage to the majority of applicants coming from relatively more related degree backgrounds. What do you guys think?
Original post by chelsng
I'm planning on submitting my application for the MSc International Public Policy program by January 2015 :-)

However, I'm just slightly worried about my degree background. I graduated from the Norwegian Univ. of Science and Technology recently with a BSc Economics, in which I deliberately spent my entire last year in the program taking quantitative modules designed for first-year MSc Economics students at my local university. Nevertheless, with the courses such as IPE and Comparative Political Economy being offered by the MSc IPP program, I'm hoping that I'll not be standing in complete disadvantage to the majority of applicants coming from relatively more related degree backgrounds. What do you guys think?

I think as long as you can demonstrate an interest in the areas covered by the MSc and convey this in your personal statement then you should be fine. Although it might be worth checking with the course administrator :smile:
Reply 6
Was beginning to wonder when this thread would show up! :smile: I received my offer about three weeks ago, I'd applied to both the MSc in Public Policy and the International Public Policy, got an offer for both! Now comes the difficult decision-making time...
Original post by Iñigo
Was beginning to wonder when this thread would show up! :smile: I received my offer about three weeks ago, I'd applied to both the MSc in Public Policy and the International Public Policy, got an offer for both! Now comes the difficult decision-making time...

Yo! Well done with the offers!! Have you chosen yet? Also have you applied anywhere else besides UCL?
Reply 8
Yo! Well done with the offers!! Have you chosen yet? Also have you applied anywhere else besides UCL?

Hi James thank you! I've accepted the international public policy offer, how about you? I'd also applied to LSE and Cambridge but unfortunately both turned me down!
Original post by Eboracum
Hello. Yes. MSc International Public Policy offer. Considering it. Out of interest, what made you go for the PP rather than the IPP?

Original post by Iñigo

Original post by Iñigo
Hi James thank you! I've accepted the international public policy offer, how about you? I'd also applied to LSE and Cambridge but unfortunately both turned me down!

I too have been made an offer for IPP at UCL. I am waiting for LSE but I think I will go for UCL... :smile: see you mofos there!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iamsuperwoman
I too have been made an offer for IPP at UCL. I am waiting for LSE but I think I will go for UCL... 5th in the world and all :smile: see you mofos there!

Morning. Congrats. Yeah I only applied to UCL and Durham, didn't fancy LSE as I consider UCL better. I'm not sure if I'll be going, depends if I can get some funding but I'm also applying for jobs.
Original post by Eboracum
Morning. Congrats. Yeah I only applied to UCL and Durham, didn't fancy LSE as I consider UCL better. I'm not sure if I'll be going, depends if I can get some funding but I'm also applying for jobs.

I know what you mean! My whole summer has just been cancelled now. I need to save up for that 10k -- I am having second thoughts on LSE you know? their public policy course is a little wack in comparison to UCL. But because I want to get into compliance and/finance LSE's connections could come in handy. UCLs top graduate destinations seem a little off.. Edelman? really. Anyway, it is better UCL than Durham. UCL is international known and respected. UCL has some scholarships and funding. Call them up and see what you are eligible for!

What is your background and what are you hoping to do after?

FYI -- Look at the last post: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/40177-ucl-vs-lse/
I know what you mean! My whole summer has just been cancelled now. I need to save up for that 10k -- I am having second thoughts on LSE you know? their public policy course is a little wack in comparison to UCL. But because I want to get into compliance and/finance LSE's connections could come in handy. UCLs top graduate destinations seem a little off.. Edelman? really. Anyway, it is better UCL than Durham. UCL is international known and respected. UCL has some scholarships and funding. Call them up and see what you are eligible for!

What is your background and what are you hoping to do after?

FYI -- Look at the last post: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/40177-ucl-vs-lse/

I just felt the UCL course was better value for money, and in terms of world rankings UCL is considerably better in terms of the QS and Times. I feel UCL is the best uni in London and probably third in the country. Others would disagree but that's the view I take. Plus isn't the LSE course like 17k?

On Durham it depends on the course. If I was doing a Masters in say English or Classics I'd pick Durham over UCL as I feel its better ranked in England and for something like that would be better. But I want a job working in diplomacy or for an international organisation, so of course UCL is ranked much higher than Durham globally, so that makes it an easy choice. The Durham course is only £6.5k though.

I'm a final year at an RG. But tbh I want a uni with the 'wow' factor on my CV to stand out. I'm only on a mid 2:1 so wouldn't get into Ox/Cam, so I felt I'd try a speculative application to UCL and got in, I got accepted in like November.

I'm not convinced LSE has better connections. There are some older threads from 1-3 years ago about this course with students saying what they/their course mates went to do afterwards and it all sounded like stuff I'd be interested in. Think one of them got a job at NATO.

If I'm honest this is kind of a backup. I wanted a grad scheme at like HMRC or Civil Service but got rejected from them all early stage, so I'm doing this to strengthen myself as a candidate. I have no intention of a PhD.

And yourself, what is your background? Are you a home student?
Hey All,

Excepted for an MSc in Public Policy, but i'm super super torn. I'm an American student, who is 21, will be 22 early into the program if I accept. I've got solid work experience, but out of necessity I couldn't really do any policy internships (had to work to pay for school.)

I'm very worried that I won't be able to get a job in policy (i'm thinking think-tank, research/analyst roles) because of both my age and my lack of experience. Which will then basically be about 60k down in the drain, and since I busted my ass to graduate undergrad without any debt, I'm super wary of taking on any debt, especially if the degree will then fail to land me a job that can at least pay off that debt.

I know that UCL is internationally well respected, but I've never even HEARD of it in America, until I started researching MPP programs abroad. Can anyone comment on it's viability in the states? I wouldn't be opposed to working in London after the program ends, but again there will still be that problem of me being only 22 and having relatively little work experience in the field. (I'm planning on finding an internship/volunteering during the semesters, and finding an internship or job during the summer as I do the dissertation.)

Also, does anyone know how common it is for students at UCL - particularly young students like me - to go into PHD or other degrees (JD, another masters perhaps) right after graduation? And would that be a matter of self selection, or out of necessity?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, I'm just confused, because i'm both very very happy and pretty damn terrified at the same time.
Original post by gnomgnomuch
Hey All,

Excepted for an MSc in Public Policy, but i'm super super torn. I'm an American student, who is 21, will be 22 early into the program if I accept. I've got solid work experience, but out of necessity I couldn't really do any policy internships (had to work to pay for school.)

I'm very worried that I won't be able to get a job in policy (i'm thinking think-tank, research/analyst roles) because of both my age and my lack of experience. Which will then basically be about 60k down in the drain, and since I busted my ass to graduate undergrad without any debt, I'm super wary of taking on any debt, especially if the degree will then fail to land me a job that can at least pay off that debt.

I know that UCL is internationally well respected, but I've never even HEARD of it in America, until I started researching MPP programs abroad. Can anyone comment on it's viability in the states? I wouldn't be opposed to working in London after the program ends, but again there will still be that problem of me being only 22 and having relatively little work experience in the field. (I'm planning on finding an internship/volunteering during the semesters, and finding an internship or job during the summer as I do the dissertation.)

Also, does anyone know how common it is for students at UCL - particularly young students like me - to go into PHD or other degrees (JD, another masters perhaps) right after graduation? And would that be a matter of self selection, or out of necessity?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, I'm just confused, because i'm both very very happy and pretty damn terrified at the same time.

Hi, first of all I just want to congratulate you on all your hard work and making it this far. You're impressive.

Though, your concerns seem about your experience seem OTT. I don't know how it's like in the states but I really want to tell you that policy work is so hard to get into. Getting into a think tank, UN, Westminister, European Parliament/Commision is not an everyday thing and most people don't have it on their CV/resume. Employers here recognise that and understand most students like yourself have worked jobs to make ends meet and at like you, just 21!

This programme offers a lot of exposure to policy that is actually relevant. You'll be a lot more respected for doing so alongside your masters. It shows that you have more focus and specific aims. Stick to your plan and do work experience alongside your masters.

I really hope you come over. See it as an investment in yourself. :smile: you can do it!

I'm curious, what UK universities have you heard of then?

Edit: Once you're in the programme for a masters, especially at UCL!!?! PhD offers are highly likely! Keep your head up and continue to be ambitious! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by IAMchocolatee
Hi, first of all I just want to congratulate you on all your hard work and making it this far. You're impressive.

Hey, Thank you so much! Just wondering, but what is your direct experience with UCL, a student, alumnus etc etc? You seem more qualified to talk about it as you're in the UK.

Though, your concerns seem about your experience seem OTT. I don't know how it's like in the states but I really want to tell you that policy work is so hard to get into. Getting into a think tank, UN, Westminister, European Parliament/Commision is not an everyday thing and most people don't have it on their CV/resume. Employers here recognise that and understand most students like yourself have worked jobs to make ends meet and at like you, just 21!

OTT - Over the top? It seems that getting into this type of work is equally difficult in both the states and the UK. For example think-tank jobs are generally reserved for undergrads from elite universities (I went to a state school to save money) and students with masters. For positions on the hill - DC - staffers, analysts, etc, they generally want work experience on the hill through internships/volunteers.

However, you think it would def be possible to get this type of work with a UCL degree?

This programme offers a lot of exposure to policy that is actually relevant. You'll be a lot more respected for doing so alongside your masters. It shows that you have more focus and specific aims. Stick to your plan and do work experience alongside your masters.

I aim to do a quantitative side for policy, so if I come over i'll be taking intro to quant and advanced quant. Along with other classes.

I really hope you come over. See it as an investment in yourself. :smile: you can do it!

I'd love to come, i'm still waiting on Oxford MPP and LSE public management and governance, though i'd prob turn LSE because of their high tuition.

I'm curious, what UK universities have you heard of then?

LSE, Oxbridge, Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Exeter, I studied abroad at Birkbeck, Queens/Kings and a few others like Strathclyde. (I knew a lot more than the typical student because i was interested in studying abroad in the UK - and then did so.

Edit: Once you're in the programme for a masters, especially at UCL!!?! PhD offers are highly likely! Keep your head up and continue to be ambitious! :smile:

Well, my plan as it currently stands is to get the masters at UCL, work for a few years (2-4) to pay down at least some debt, and then go on to do a PHD at either Oxbrdige (if i can get in) or at a top university at the states, like UC Berk. Another option would be to get a JD in the states, but to make that cost effective i'd have to work in corporate law for around 5 years, and everything I read, and know about myself, indicate that I would hate the work. I don't have a problem working long hours, but mind numbing work would be awful for me.

Thank you SO much for your response!

(Yea, highly ambitious, but I feel i'm smart enough and focused enough to do these things.)
Original post by gnomgnomuch
Well, my plan as it currently stands is to get the masters at UCL, work for a few years (2-4) to pay down at least some debt, and then go on to do a PHD at either Oxbrdige (if i can get in) or at a top university at the states, like UC Berk. Another option would be to get a JD in the states, but to make that cost effective i'd have to work in corporate law for around 5 years, and everything I read, and know about myself, indicate that I would hate the work. I don't have a problem working long hours, but mind numbing work would be awful for me.

Thank you SO much for your response!

(Yea, highly ambitious, but I feel i'm smart enough and focused enough to do these things.)

Yes, isn't that something? Well, I have friends in UCL/LSE so I'm a little clued.

Yeah, keep your ambition up. You make others like myself even more ambitious. I too applied for LSE PMG and was rejected. I hate them but love them because £23k is just not worth it in this British economy for not guareented work. Still awaiting my second option though.

I'm highly highly surprised that you had never heard of UCL.. It is 5th in the whole entire world are ranks higher than the universities you listed above besides Oxbridge. LSE has the brand factor but so does UCL. I love the LSE but the cost and teaching style I've heard off seem ridiculous lol. Still beneficial to have though on your CV.

Goodluck for your application to Oxbridge and LSE.
Reply 17
Hey guys,

I am an applicant of the MSc IPP of UCL for 2015-2016. I received my 2nd reference confirmation letter at Dec 11th, 2014. And today I received an E-mail as follow:

"We have recently received your application to MSc International Public Policy.

Due to the large number of high quality applications received by Political Science it has become necessary to consider applications in gathered fields. This means that you will not receive a decision immediately as the consideration period will be longer. However we hope to have a decision ready for you by 28 February.

If it becomes necessary to consider you in a further round we will let you know and will continue to keep you informed of your progress.'

I am wondering what happened to my application and is that means I have been put on the waiting list?

Worries a lot about this, hoping to see your guys' reply ASAP.
Original post by zoeCui
Hey guys,

I am an applicant of the MSc IPP of UCL for 2015-2016. I received my 2nd reference confirmation letter at Dec 11th, 2014. And today I received an E-mail as follow:

"We have recently received your application to MSc International Public Policy.

Due to the large number of high quality applications received by Political Science it has become necessary to consider applications in gathered fields. This means that you will not receive a decision immediately as the consideration period will be longer. However we hope to have a decision ready for you by 28 February.

If it becomes necessary to consider you in a further round we will let you know and will continue to keep you informed of your progress.'

I am wondering what happened to my application and is that means I have been put on the waiting list?

Worries a lot about this, hoping to see your guys' reply ASAP.

I think this means that it is just taking longer for them to make decisions. And if you don't make it for the initial offer you could be put on a waiting list BUT no decision has been made.

My friend applied same time like you and is still waiting for a response. Don't worry. You are not rejected nor are you accepted they are simply apologizing for the delay.

If you are still worried call them on Monday. Relax -- you will get your offer.
Reply 19
I think this means that it is just taking longer for them to make decisions. And if you don't make it for the initial offer you could be put on a waiting list BUT no decision has been made.

My friend applied same time like you and is still waiting for a response. Don't worry. You are not rejected nor are you accepted they are simply apologizing for the delay.

If you are still worried call them on Monday. Relax -- you will get your offer.

Thank you so much darling, good luck to your friends too~

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending