The Student Room Group

Can I get atleast a 2:1 or 1st in the first year without using textbooks?

And just using the internet. I find the internet really helpful when it comes to studying outside lectures and was wondering if there is any point wasting money on the recommended books (which are ridiculously expensive!). I study psychology if that helps :smile:
Reply 1
Just take the books out from the library when you need them :s-smilie:

I've never understood this culture of book buying. I've bought one book in my four years at uni - a pocket handbook. I averaged 69% in my second year and am on track for a 2:1 this year. If your uni/course is any good they should have the books you need in the library.
Reply 2
Original post by Secretnerd123
And just using the internet. I find the internet really helpful when it comes to studying outside lectures and was wondering if there is any point wasting money on the recommended books (which are ridiculously expensive!). I study psychology if that helps :smile:

So I can weigh in here as I've finished my undergrad and I'm currently studying a masters degree.

Yeah you can but it depends how much you study and how you study i.e are you using journal articles? I wouldn't waste money buying a book unless it's a book you think you will continue to use over and over again. Just borrow books from the library. Also, what you will find is that books give you a foundation, they give you the basic knowledge needed to understand more complex concepts. As you progress in your degree, you will use books a lot less and rely more on journal articles.

Words to live by: Books are only as up-to-date/recent as when they are published. A book published even 5 years ago may contain information that has been proven incorrect after it was published.

Good luck with your undergrad and enjoy it as much as you can (especially first year).
What he said.

It is a good idea to have a quick look over the core texts but mostly they are way too simplistic to be anything more than a convenient starting point. You might as well just read the Wikipedia article - also an excellent starting point.

And you certainly shouldn't buy them.

For technical stuff - I imagine you do some stats/research methods - they can be useful. If you would be justified in describing the textbook as a "manual" it might be a good idea to have it on hand.
Surely depends on the subject (for other people reading)

I.e if you do law, then no choice but to splash £150+ on 3/4 books
Original post by Secretnerd123

I did most of my first year essays the night before using only Google books and online journals/articles. Never got below a 2:1.

Wouldn't recommend trying that approach for 2nd or 3rd year though, by all means get some useful information from the internet but don't solely use it. You can get everything you need from the library, I didn't spend a single penny on books in my entire degree and this is for a subject that required a huge amount of reading.
Probably, I got a First in Psychology but did buy all the books on the course list. Now a bit older and studying MSc I don't buy any books and still achieve a good grade, I didn't even read them all anyway and I hate mess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending