The Student Room Group

Am I overreacting to my coworker???

sssssss
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by weevilface
Then yesterday one of my coworkers started a conversation with me on Facebook, which was a nice surprise, and we chatted a bit about tv and music and stuff like that and it wasn't as stressful as I'd thought. Then he mentioned how we could maybe meet up one day off and do something and I don't think he means anything by it other than in a friendly way but I still can't imagine the situation of just me and him. I didn't want to be like "no, us hanging out is never a possibility" because it seemed very rude and judgemental so I just said something like "Yeah at some point that would be cool"?

Get to know him more at work. That will then give you a better indication if you'd like to meet up with him or not. It's your choice at the ned of the day.

I feel like there's a lot of pressure to be chatty and interesting...

It seems like he is interested in what you have to say and what kind of person you are. After all, he did message you first. Just go with the flow and talk about everything and anything.

Also I'm slightly concerned about what people at work would think because they don't know me that well so I don't want them to hear about us like hanging out getting a coffee and thinking it's me being desperate and weird. He knows other people better but I'm not sure if he goes places with them outside of work.

Who cares what other people think? You don't owe them anything. Do what makes you happy.
Reply 2
brrrrrrr
(edited 8 years ago)
The thing is my cousin works there too and she is his friend already and knows him a lot better but they don't really seem to meet up? He's not making me feel weird at all it's just the situation that I feel very nervous and unsure about.

Then he may like you in other ways.
It's not just platonic - I guarantee it. How do you feel about him? Any attraction there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
ppppppppppvf
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
iiiiiiiiii
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
If he asks you again to meet up, invite someone else along (like your cousin and maybe other people from work). That will keep it platonic and make it less awkward / less pressure for you. I would also keep it to coffee and maybe pub after work, again with others from work, but nothing more than that unless you become friends. If he asks for a more date-like than work-like thing just tell him that you have social anxiety and that you don't like going out that much. If he insists, just insist back in a friendly way.

Be friendly - it is good practice. :-)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by llys
If he asks you again to meet up, invite someone else along (like your cousin and maybe other people from work). That will keep it platonic and make it less awkward / less pressure for you. I would also keep it to coffee and maybe pub after work, again with others from work, but nothing more than that unless you become friends. If he asks for a more date-like than work-like thing just tell him that you have social anxiety and that you don't like going out that much. If he insists, just insist back in a friendly way.

Be friendly - it is good practice. :-)

Thank you. :smile: The thing is I've kind of decided that hanging out outside of work isn't something I'm currently interested in and I don't want to perhaps sour the situation by telling other people - even my cousin, since it might put her in a difficult position as my relative and his friend - so I'm just going to decline that.

It's just the constant Facebook conversations I'm not comfortable with too, since I have found that interactions on there with people you're not already good friends with make things difficult and I need some space as well. Like I don't even message my close friends every single day. Do you think just not responding but still being friendly in person gives the right message?
Reply 9
Thank you. :smile: The thing is I've kind of decided that hanging out outside of work isn't something I'm currently interested in and I don't want to perhaps sour the situation by telling other people - even my cousin, since it might put her in a difficult position as my relative and his friend - so I'm just going to decline that.

It's just the constant Facebook conversations I'm not comfortable with too, since I have found that interactions on there with people you're not already good friends with make things difficult and I need some space as well. Like I don't even message my close friends every single day. Do you think just not responding but still being friendly in person gives the right message?

Not responding at all may be a bit much, not sure. I'd only do that if you dislike him or feel really uncomfortable. But he doesn't know how much you are online or how busy you are, so if necessary just pretend that you don't check facebook every day. You can wait a few days and then drop it into a fb conversation like "gosh only just saw your message, so sorry, don't check here that often / am pretty busy these days. how are you doing etc," and then it's fine if you only reply every three or four days or so because he'll just assume you are busy. Then he'll probably lose interest. It is a bit contrived mind, but it should work / slow him down. Only do it if you can't be found out though, in that case just go with the truth.
Reply 10
Original post by llys
Not responding at all may be a bit much, not sure. I'd only do that if you dislike him or feel really uncomfortable. But he doesn't know how much you are online or how busy you are, so if necessary just pretend that you don't check facebook every day. You can wait a few days and then drop it into a fb conversation like "gosh only just saw your message, so sorry, don't check here that often / am pretty busy these days. how are you doing etc," and then it's fine if you only reply every three or four days or so because he'll just assume you are busy. Then he'll probably lose interest. It is a bit contrived mind, but it should work / slow him down. Only do it if you can't be found out though, in that case just go with the truth.

It's just that I don't want to constantly be in touch but I don't mind sometimes talking to him, because he's nice, but I feel like if I respond every time he'll get the wrong idea. I'm not actually opening all the messages so it's not showing that I've seen them so if he does ask I can just say I'm not getting the notifications. I just want comfortable boundaries at this stage and I don't want to lie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending