The Student Room Group

CiE English First Language (0522) Nov 7th 2014

How did you guys find the English Language paper?

There was some controversy in our school. For question 1, the last bullet point asked for a "3-point plan on how to improve the school" or something along the lines. Me and only some others did more than 3 ways on how to improve the school? Some people are saying that the people who did more than 3 points are wrong and will lose marks for it but teachers are saying no because apparently "3-point plan" is just a "saying"?

Would I get marks deducted for making 6 points on how to improve the school supported by explicit and implicit ideas?
i dont i think i fully understand your question, but you don't get marked for plan, its just there to help you out, and if you miss points the examiner can mark the points from there as well, warning, DONT DO IT ON THE READING MATERIAL, IT DOES NOT GO TO THE EXAMINER, DO IT ON THE ADDITIONAL PAGES, UNDERNEATH THE QUESTION OR IN THE NORMAL SPACE, planing can be really useful...

i hoped this helped :smile:

on separate note does anyone have any links to past papers for the writing exam on Monday, plz plz plz i need it asap.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by movkool14811
i dont i think i fully understand your question, but you don't get marked for plan, its just there to help you out, and if you miss points the examiner can mark the points from there as well, warning, DONT DO IT ON THE READING MATERIAL, IT DOES NOT GO TO THE EXAMINER, DO IT ON THE ADDITIONAL PAGES, UNDERNEATH THE QUESTION OR IN THE NORMAL SPACE, planing can be really useful...

i hoped this helped :smile:

on separate note does anyone have any links to past papers for the writing exam on Monday, plz plz plz i need it asap.

Hey. I'm not talking about the actual PLAN before you write. I mean the question actually said for the last bullet point to basically write ideas on how to improve the school. People who did the exam will know what I mean.
Original post by Alan-K
How did you guys find the English Language paper?

There was some controversy in our school. For question 1, the last bullet point asked for a "3-point plan on how to improve the school" or something along the lines. Me and only some others did more than 3 ways on how to improve the school? Some people are saying that the people who did more than 3 points are wrong and will lose marks for it but teachers are saying no because apparently "3-point plan" is just a "saying"?

Would I get marks deducted for making 6 points on how to improve the school supported by explicit and implicit ideas?

Well, the three bullet points are all equally significant in your answer and I took the third, inferential, bullet point as one where you specifically list and develop three ways to improve the school. However, these three improvements were not specifically mentioned in the text and there were a variety of different thigns to choose from. Maybe you just needed three? I don't think using 6 will put you at a disadvantage but your writing mark out of 5 may be lower than it could have been. To be honest I thought that exam was particularly awkward, especially 3b!
Original post by student169
Well, the three bullet points are all equally significant in your answer and I took the third, inferential, bullet point as one where you specifically list and develop three ways to improve the school. However, these three improvements were not specifically mentioned in the text and there were a variety of different thigns to choose from. Maybe you just needed three? I don't think using 6 will put you at a disadvantage but your writing mark out of 5 may be lower than it could have been. To be honest I thought that exam was particularly awkward, especially 3b!

Yeah. Bullet point three is the evaluate portion of the question which is what my teacher taught me. It's just that it said make a three-point plan or something like that to improve the school. I honestly just do not know if they will dock my marks for writing more than 3 :angry:

Edit: I must admit 3b was strange too. I found question 2 really strange too as a matter of fact :P
Original post by Alan-K
Yeah. Bullet point three is the evaluate portion of the question which is what my teacher taught me. It's just that it said make a three-point plan or something like that to improve the school. I honestly just do not know if they will dock my marks for writing more than 3 :angry:

Edit: I must admit 3b was strange too. I found question 2 really strange too as a matter of fact :P

Yes, Question 2 was not the best and I just found it somewhat disturbing that I was analysing the language of a magazine
Yes, Question 2 was not the best and I just found it somewhat disturbing that I was analysing the language of a magazine

Well at least I wasn't the only one. Do you think the whole country has done bad compared to the May/June 2014 one (The Mrs. Wilkies one)? I sat the Mrs Wilkie exam as a mock two weeks ago and I scored pretty well in it as it was so much easier....
Hi, i am new to TSR, i have and english iGCSE (CIE, 0522R) writing exam on Monday. i need a past paper ASAP,

btw does anyone have any tips for me for question 3 ( writing to describe) I'm always bad at those

Hi, i am new to TSR, i have and english iGCSE (CIE, 0522R) writing exam on Monday. i need a past paper ASAP,

btw does anyone have any tips for me for question 3 ( writing to describe) I'm always bad at those

Sorry bud. My components are different to yours I guess. My final grade is determined by a single exam (Reading Passages Extended), coursework and speaking and listening.
Original post by Alan-K
Sorry bud. My components are different to yours I guess. My final grade is determined by a single exam (Reading Passages Extended), coursework and speaking and listening.

oh yeah, so i guess that you are in year 10 and are having a first attempt on it, in my case it is a re-sit and I'm in year 11
oh yeah, so i guess that you are in year 10 and are having a first attempt on it, in my case it is a re-sit and I'm in year 11

Oh no. I'm in Year 11. This is my first attempt at a real one, not a resit.
Original post by Alan-K
Well at least I wasn't the only one. Do you think the whole country has done bad compared to the May/June 2014 one (The Mrs. Wilkies one)? I sat the Mrs Wilkie exam as a mock two weeks ago and I scored pretty well in it as it was so much easier....

I completely agree with you. We sat the mock of Mrs Wilkie too and it was a really nice exam paper, so I wasn't too nervous before the exam today. Then I opened the exam paper to be greeted by completely inaccessible questions. I think question 3a on the evening classes was the only alright one. I know a lot of people who thought you had to write as the teacher in the passage, unaware of the fact you were the headteacher introduced at the very end. I wonder if that will have a signifcant effect on the marks?
I completely agree with you. We sat the mock of Mrs Wilkie too and it was a really nice exam paper, so I wasn't too nervous before the exam today. Then I opened the exam paper to be greeted by completely inaccessible questions. I think question 3a on the evening classes was the only alright one. I know a lot of people who thought you had to write as the teacher in the passage, unaware of the fact you were the headteacher introduced at the very end. I wonder if that will have a signifcant effect on the marks?

Well at least if a large percentage of the country made the same mistake or had the same views on the paper the grade boundaries will go down. I need 31 marks for an A overall based on the harshest CiE English paper ever done.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending