The Student Room Group

I have an injury problem....

I don't know if this is the appropriate forum or not for medical/injury problems but I thought since this injury only happens when I play football and people in this forum are obviously interested in football you might be able to give me some advice.

First of all it all started when I was playing football on a local park with my friends and playing in goal, when I saved a particularly venomous shot from my friend it felt like my shoulder popped out of joint but it didn't but it did cause quite bad pain never the less I got up and stopped for about 20 minutes than carried on playing,no problems for the rest of that afternoon. Fast forward approx 7 weeks and it has happened in similar circumstances every time no less than 5 times at various times during matches and training.

Does anyone know what the problem could be and if so how to solve it?
I know people in my family tend to either have too much or too little collogen in their bodies but I am not sure if this would be a cause towards this injury or not?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by MatthewP15
I don't know if this is the appropriate forum or not for medical/injury problems but I thought since this injury only happens when I play football and people in this forum are obviously interested in football you might be able to give me some advice.

First of all it all started when I was playing football on a local park with my friends and playing in goal, when I saved a particularly venomous shot from my friend it felt like my shoulder popped out of joint but it didn't but it did cause quite bad pain never the less I got up and stopped for about 20 minutes than carried on playing,no problems for the rest of that afternoon. Fast forward approx 7 weeks and it has happened in similar circumstances every time no less than 5 times at various times during matches and training.

Does anyone know what the problem could be and if so how to solve it?
I know people in my family tend to either have too much or too little collogen in their bodies but I am not sure if this would be a cause towards this injury or not?

Thanks

OK first off, get a referral and go see a Physiotherapist, self refer to a private practitioner if you're keen to get it worked on and can afford it.

The way you describe it it sounds like the shoulder is subluxing. Basically the head of the humerous bone is rolling to the edge of the socket before falling back in place. Pain may not occur as there isn'tactually any tissues being disturbed or damaged.

http://www.physio-pedia.com/Shoulder_subluxation

This is most likely happening because of weakness or laxity in the structures that hold the shoulder joint; the muscles (called rotator cuff), ligament and capsule. The collagen thing may be significant as ligaments and other connective tissue are made of collagen. Unfortunately you can't strengthen ligament. You can however strengthen the rotator cuff. This is probably what the physio will look to do
Reply 2
How about you see a doctor. Logic.
Reply 3
Thank you I did a bit of research and it seems it is what you described and I will go see my GP and mention it.

Quick Reply

Latest