The Student Room Group

Are derivations useful for Engineering?

Do you find going through derivations helpful for engineering topics? Some lecturers don't even bother with derivations and when it comes to exams, most people just memorise key equations rather than derive from first principles which would take too long in an exam. I used to go through every derivation and tried to derive myself but I don't see the point anymore.
Original post by Ybsy75
Do you find going through derivations helpful for engineering topics? Some lecturers don't even bother with derivations and when it comes to exams, most people just memorise key equations rather than derive from first principles which would take too long in an exam. I used to go through every derivation and tried to derive myself but I don't see the point anymore.

Hey, just giving this thread a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply :smile:
I couldn't imagine just learning equations without any concept or understanding of how they were derived. What would be the point?
If you understand a derivation or go through it, you'll understand the assumptions and hence the scenarios where it will be valid. A good engineer is someone who is able to effectively model a situation/scenario and derive equations that govern the systems dynamics or behavioural characteristics. If you can't do this and just remember x number of equations at the end of your degree, what skills have you actually picked up?

Also, those who know the derivations tend to do better in exams as they better understand when and where each equation can be used and are able to justify their decision.
Reply 4
So do you actually go through lecture notes trying to understand it after every lecture, on top of doing all your courseworks and assignments?
yes, before and while I did problem sheets.

Quick Reply

Latest