The Student Room Group

Can I get into Oxbridge Engineering

My GCSEs were not great. I messed around a lot.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by vuvuzela
My GCSEs were not great. I messed around a lot.
At AS I am doing 7 subjects. Bio,Chem,Physics,Maths, further maths law and EPQ
Want to do engineering at Oxbridge
Will they take my GCSEs into account as they arent as good as I would have liked.
Also what do they want to see in terms of extracurricular stuff. I have opportunities to work with a foreign university on my holiday after my exams, but what else do they want from me?
I really want to get in, more than I have ever wanted anything.
I am also a dual national mixed race with a poor financial background but an incredibly rich academic family background (about 15 degrees between 5 people in my family) does any of that come into play?I hope not. Ps. I am a bit of an idiot so forgive me for poor spelling, am getting tested for dyslexia and my tablets autocorrect doesn't help.

Hiya,
Oxbridge do look at GCSE results so on that level you'll be at a disadvantage compared to other applicants. Nice subject choices for engineering, doing 7 subjects won't put you at a disadvantage but it won't put you at an advantage either- make sure you don't spread yourself too thin.
In terms of extra curricular activities they'll look for things that have shown particular personal qualities such as playing on a sports team/sports, playing a musical instrument, dofe, regular volunteering (preferably relevant- although it's hard for engineering! ), any relevant courses you've been on or any work experience you've had.
:smile:
Reply 2
Re the dyslexia if it transpires that you are dyslexic it may work in your favour a bit as you could try to use it to mitigate those poor (by your standards) GCSEs even if, ahem, that isn't the only reason :colondollar:. Anyway don't count your chickens on that but every cloud etc etc.

My elder son (now a graduated and working engineer) is dyslexic and actually wasn't diagnosed until after he got to uni. His tutor told him that dyslexia amongst engineers isn't uncommon so like as not once you're at uni they'll be used to people in that situation and might offer loads of help. My son was given a laptop, software, some help taking notes in lectures from another student (who got paid by the uni to do so) and somebody to proof read his assignments etc.

Not sure if doing all those AS subjects is going to help as you'll likely want very high UMS.
Reply 3
Thanks. In hindsight biology and law are a bit stupid but i am by no means struggling in any of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest