The Student Room Group

Durham & Warwick & QMUL

Hi everybody!

I am currently graduating in Economics and doing an internship at Barclays Bank.

I got an offer for a MSc Finance&Economics at Durham Business School, University of Warwick and QMUL.

Since I would like to pursue a career in the Investment banking field, specifically in London, could anyone give me some advices, especially as regards the employability of the three different universities?
Reply 1
Did you read your BA at a UK uni? The consensus for econ, War is considered a top 5 econ faculty in the UK, certainly stronger in Financial Econ, prepares students for employment, Warwick is also target uni for the City when it comes to recruitment. Quality of lecturers and students is higher. Durham is a good parent uni, but its Econ department can't compete with Warwick. The only War issue is prohibitive tuition at £27000. It is a no brainer:

Warwick >>>> QMUL/Durham
Reply 2
Many thanks for your reply!

I am completing the Bsc in Italy and I was thinking of which one would be the best choice in terms of employability!
Reply 3
I thought so that you are an international student. An UK econ student would know the clear difference as in economics Warwick excels over QMUL and Durham. UK employers know that Warwick offers a more analytical course. Warwick has a better B-School and you may take some electives in finance or portfolio theory. Normally students would ask on this forum: Should I choose LSE/Warwick/UCL/Bristol in a peer group? Durham and QMUL economics departments are in a lower tier group and hence it would be odd to choose them over Warwick except on tuition. Applicants who are dinged at Warwick would enroll at Durham/QMUL as insurance.

I am sure there is a Warwick MSc Econ 2014-15 FB group. You can reach out to current students and enquire on employment opps. Do your homework as it is an expensive investment.

Good luck
Reply 4
Many thanks Tcannon!

I had some doubts concerning the location of the Unis, but Warwick's connections with the working environment are great!

Did you study there?
Reply 5
The location argument is rubbish. Otherwise it is only about London colleges. Oxbridge, Warwick, Nottingham and Bristol have great Econ departments and they are located outside London. One should look at career report. Do finance firms come to campus for recruitment, where do grads work post MSc.

No, I did not study at Warwick, so I am relatively objective and not a Warwick booster. But I have great respect for its academic excellence in Econ. I have met Warwick Econ students (BSc and MSc) in summer internships and they are happy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending