The Student Room Group

Christmas Gift ideas thread 2014

:holly: Now it's November I thought it might be time to think of some ideas of Christmas presents :holly:

To me, every year seems the same with gifts... chocolate, CDs/DVDs etc. :snow:

:cracker: Has anyone got any good gift ideas for Christmas for family/friends? :cracker: :mrssanta:

Please keep ideas clean/appropriate for all ages :tongue:

:merryxmas:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Scratch cards or lottery tickets. Always good to have a chance of a big win!
Original post by Frantica
Scratch cards or lottery tickets. Always good to have a chance of a big win!

Ah, nice one! Something to put in a card or a stocking filler - which may turn into so much more :h:
Come on - anyone else got any ideas?

I was thinking of personal calendars, each month has your favourite picture (of you and the person it's for), from the last year. So it's useful, and thoughtful :h:
Make homemade truffles and decorate them. Also you can wrap them up in cute paper or small boxes

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought a photo pillow/mug would be quite cute.

Or for someone close you could make a scrapbook with all kinds of pictures from the past year and make it really personal and annotate it yourself
Subbing to this thread hope it turns out big!

Taking my mam to get a piercing because she's wanted one for ages and not had the balls.
Something you've made yourself, personalised, something that would mean something to them :h:
Original post by thestars
Make homemade truffles and decorate them. Also you can wrap them up in cute paper or small boxes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh, chocolate, but, better :gah:

Original post by And then...
Subbing to this thread hope it turns out big!

Taking my mam to get a piercing because she's wanted one for ages and not had the balls.

What sort of piercing, dare I ask? :lol:
Reply 9
Personalised sounds good. I'd suggest bottles work best - just rinse off the label then stick a newly printed one on. Bottle of wine with a map on the back of where the person you're giving it to is from - description of them as wine, name the wine after them/nickname etc. You can order that kind of stuff online, but it's really easy to make and people are usually pretty stunned that you've done it!

Other than that books are always easiest to give - just make sure it's something easy to read. The best Xmas books are the ones that can be read on Christmas day, so funny, and with short sections, rather than something long that gets put on the shelf for 'reading later' (or not at all!). Definitely no random biographies or novels you want to read yourself. I've got these xmas themed ones for my dad and a couple of mates:

The Atheist's Guide to Christmas http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0007389825/ - this ones got lots of short sections, and will appeal to the grumpiest member of the family.

The Christmas Football Quiz Book, Joke Book, Fact Book www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1503016986/ - ok - probably works best for a football fan, but its got a funny cover, and jokes/quiz questions to share. It'll get you more kudos than socks.

Hope those help.
Get them a 2015 calendar. Perhaps a really high quality one.
Original post by BurstingBubbles

What sort of piercing, dare I ask? :lol:

A nose.

My Dad works as a an engineer and spends months away from home so a few years back I bought him a teddy dressed as an engineer from the RNLI store and had his nick name embroidered on the back of it.
Reply 12
Thought I'd posted this already but will try again without links :s

Personalised sounds good. I'd suggest bottles work best - just rinse off the label then stick a newly printed one on. Bottle of wine with a map on the back of where the person you're giving it to is from - description of them as wine, name the wine after them/nickname etc. You can order that kind of stuff online, but it's really easy to make and people are usually pretty stunned that you've done it!

Other than that books are always easiest to give - just make sure it's something easy to read. The best Xmas books are the ones that can be read on Christmas day, so funny, and with short sections, rather than something long that gets put on the shelf for 'reading later' (or not at all!). Definitely no random biographies or novels you want to read yourself. I've got these xmas themed ones for my dad and a couple of mates:

The Atheist's Guide to Christmas - this ones got lots of short sections, and will appeal to the grumpiest member of the family.

The Christmas Football Quiz Book, Joke Book, Fact Book - ok - probably works best for a football fan, but its got a funny cover, and jokes/quiz questions to share. It'll get you more kudos than socks.

Hope those help.
Reply 13
This year I will be going to the 99p shop buying 2x 4 pack of Santa hats then embroidering our surname on the white bit then giving out to the family. The cheapness of it appeals to me the most :biggrin: yay for Scrooges!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love this thread! I love christmas shopping. I've already done about half of mine but am stuck on what else to get. Anyone got any ideas as to what to get for a work colleague (secret santa)?
Original post by carton
x

Posts with links in automatically get filtered for moderation - but I've accepted it for you now :smile:
I am screwed. I literally have no idea what to get anyone for Christmas. Not one.
Original post by carton

The Atheist's Guide to Christmas - this ones got lots of short sections, and will appeal to the grumpiest member of the family.

Awesome! Bought.
Original post by Holby_fanatic
I am screwed. I literally have no idea what to get anyone for Christmas. Not one.

i don't mind what you get me, it's the thought that counts
Original post by white boy
i don't mind what you get me, it's the thought that counts

I was thinking a Toblerone from Poundland. You're welcome bby. :kiss:

Quick Reply

Latest