The Student Room Group

Were you ever underestimated by your teachers?

Scroll to see replies

All of my teachers (apart from my media teacher) underestimated me during my GCSEs. One day I went to my chemistry teacher as I needed him to fill in my predicted grade for chemistry, he said "oh, what do you think you'll get?" and I said an A*. After that you could tell from his facial expression that he didn't believe that I could actually achieve that. Anyway, he wrote down the A* on the piece of paper (he wasn't happy about writing it down) and then he was like to me "I've never seen you get an A* in any of the tests". So I worked really hard and I did end up with an A* for chemistry. I went to my old high school and a few weeks ago and I told him that I got an A*, he congratulated me and then apologised :smile:

My geography teacher thought I would get a C...ended up with an A.
Even though I was predicted C's and 2 B's, I managed to get 3A*s,6A's and 2B's which I'm really happy about :smile:

It feels really good when teachers believe that you cant achieve something and you prove them wrong :smile:
Two cases:

My English GCSE teacher was determined I'd get a B, I got an overall low B in all my coursework, then got A*s in both exams - overall A.

Before the A* grade was introduced for A-level - my Computing teacher at A2 (January exam) predicted me an E and was constantly told me I was going to fail, got an A in the exam. Then on results day he told the class "three people got an A, one of whom we were very surprised about". I went on to blitz the second year, As in all three exams, but ended up with 479/480 UMS points needed for an A, gutted isn't the word.
YESSS. My history teacher used to hate me and always used to grade my papers as 'E' or 'U'. Got an A* in the real exam. :banana:
my history teacher kept predicting me a B even though I got A*s on all my mocks just because I didn't do any work and 'distracted the class'. ended up getting full ums in my gcse
Original post by sadiyah_x
YESSS. My history teacher used to hate me and always used to grade my papers as 'E' or 'U'. Got an A* in the real exam. :banana:
seems to me that history teachers tend to be quite spiteful if they dislike you
I did History and was told the whole way through year 12 that I would fail the year or that I would be "lucky to get an F" which was great.

Got a C overall and considering the fact that I hated the subject and my teachers were convinced I'd fail, I was perfectly happy with that :u:
Yes I failed my Math class at half term in my last year of high school and got a B on my final exam in June. My teacher obviously thought I cheated my way through it and a maths genuis was sitting next to me so he probably thought I copied everything off of her but I DID NOT. I just studied my ass for 24/7 amonth before the exam and aced it.
My Geography teacher predicted me a B for GCSE. I went on and got 100%, and when I spoke to him after he claimed it was because he predicted me low and motivated me.

:indiff:
Original post by RoyalBlue7
Wow what were the teachers thinking...Forgive my curiosity but why did they think like that? That's unbelievable.

The History teacher was just very negative and whiny, she was an awful teacher so the whole class (myself included) performed badly in assessments but luckily I had a good textbook to use and spent the Spring months teaching myself everything for the exams.

In Science I didn't have very good teachers, for example my Physics teacher would just sit and talk to a small group of students leaving the rest of the class with nothing to do. I just found myself quite unmotivated in those classes because of this so I wouldn't study for tests so I got quite bad marks but once the real exams started I would self-teach and I found that I had Science soon became my favourite subject.
Original post by LeaX
The History teacher was just very negative and whiny, she was an awful teacher so the whole class (myself included) performed badly in assessments but luckily I had a good textbook to use and spent the Spring months teaching myself everything for the exams.

In Science I didn't have very good teachers, for example my Physics teacher would just sit and talk to a small group of students leaving the rest of the class with nothing to do. I just found myself quite unmotivated in those classes because of this so I wouldn't study for tests so I got quite bad marks but once the real exams started I would self-teach and I found that I had Science soon became my favourite subject.

But that still doesn't justify why they (not you) thought that you (instead of some others) were only fitting for foundation exams while you then go on to get the best science grades!

Anyways thank you for replying and nvm :smile:
Yes they all do, I think it is in an attempt to save themselves and distance themselves from your results so they don't feel bad about predicting you more and if you don't reach the target so they underestimate you...

It does motivate you to do a lot better though
This happened in GCSEs. I always leave stuff 'till the last minute. I don't contribute much... I was predicted Cs and Bs for all of my GCSEs. Did not care about mocks. Ended up with A*s (mostly) and some As. I worked during the 2 months leading up to the exams. AS was a differently story, made sure I consistently put the effort in, 'cause I picked subjects I was actually willing to work for. Got 6 As. Now it's time for A2 :biggrin:.
wasn't even expected to pass german, got a B
always got held on the A/A* borderline by my english teacher and ended up getting full UMS in 3/4 english lit exams :smile: nothing made me feel smugger than being able to go over to her on subject sign up day for sixth form and sign up for her class next year haaaaaaaa she hadn't gotten rid of me yet
Like most people I don't really prepare for mocks or tests in classes so I usually end up doing a lot worst. For my as mocks I got CCDU, ended up with AAAB at the end of it. I'm making a conscious effort to make my grades more consistent throughout the year but I don't know how long that will last for lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Original post by L'Evil Fish
"You won't get a single A*"

Mwuaha

"You will not even get a C"
'Jess, trust me, there is no way you are getting a B on this course'

A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really exams, but my English teacher told me I wasn't smart enough for set two and I should stop trying so hard. My debut novel comes out on the 14th of December. Thank I had other teachers who helped me out in English.
One of my school music teachers hated me and thought I was rubbish at music and couldn't play the piano and cello. Ended up playing diploma pieces in multiple concerts in year 9, followed by two grade 8 distinctions on both the piano and cello in year 10. Also got full marks for all my music performances and compositions (courseworks) in music gcse as well as an A* :smile:

Latin teachers were shocked that I wanted to do Latin for gcse, as I've basically failed all my previous Latin exams. Up until end of year 11/real exams, I got consistent B's and low marks. Ended up with an A*.

Geography teacher thought I was bad at Geography and made it patronizingly obvious that she thought I wasn't going to do well in it. Ended up with an A* and full marks in the controlled assessment.

Art teacher basically lost hope in me and my parents thought I was going to get a D (or the like) in Art. Ended up with 100% (A* obviously) at gcse...

Oh how I miss those days (not) :tongue:
Original post by strawberrysnow
One of my school music teachers hated me and thought I was rubbish at music and couldn't play the piano and cello. Ended up playing diploma pieces in multiple concerts in year 9, followed by two grade 8 distinctions on both the piano and cello in year 10. Also got full marks for all my music performances and compositions (courseworks) in music gcse as well as an A* :smile:

Latin teachers were shocked that I wanted to do Latin for gcse, as I've basically failed all my previous Latin exams. Up until end of year 11/real exams, I got consistent B's and low marks. Ended up with an A*.

Geography teacher thought I was bad at Geography and made it patronizingly obvious that she thought I wasn't going to do well in it. Ended up with an A* and full marks in the controlled assessment.

Art teacher basically lost hope in me and my parents thought I was going to get a D (or the like) in Art. Ended up with 100% (A* obviously) at gcse...

Oh how I miss those days (not) :tongue:

:eek::eek:

Wow. Well done! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was predicted a U by my teacher for A Level Maths last year and ended up with a C :yay: Granted I was **** for the whole year leading up to the exam but it felt amazing to prove him wrong!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending