The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No
This is rather vague. Arts and social sciences include things like law, languages, etc. which most definetly aren't useless.
Reply 3
Some of them are useless
Of course they're not! Why would they be? seriously though why does everyone think that any degree apart from Medicine is useless?
In this day and age a history or politics degree for example isn't any less 'useless' than a law degree. Employers are far more concerned with the relevant work experience you have and how interesting your come across as an applicant. The degree just shows that you are capable of thinking analytically.

Most jobs don't require any specific degree and there have been plenty of Politics grads that have beat law grads for top jobs at elite law firms.

So no. A degree is as useful as you are willing to make it and coupled with a good amount of extra-curricular activities can land you a job.

Also, it matters a lot more where you did your degree than what the degree actually was. This is why you see Theology graduates from Oxford outcompeting law grads from oxford brooks.
Not useless, they're just worth less than STEM degrees.
Of course not. My sociology degree certificate looks good on my wall and provides me with an emergency sheet of toilet paper.
I don't think so and in this day and age, sometimes, what you major in isn't the sector you might go i.n. I mean, my geography teacher who had a degree in well, geography got a job as a banker or accountant.

I still don't know how in the world that happened since, I think that, geography isn't related to banking but good for him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jambojim97
Well, are they?!

Oh so maths and science related degrees are the only degrees worth having right?? every other degree i.e Law, English is a waste of time... the thinking of some people on this website:angry: :angry: USE YOUR HEAD AND REALISE THAT NOT EVERYONE DREAMS OF DOING CHEM ENGINEERING AND NOT EVERY COURSE IS A USELESS DEGREE!
A degree is only useless if you don't use it at all. Many degrees have transferrable skills.
Original post by TheMagican
Oh so maths and science related degrees are the only degrees worth having right?? every other degree i.e Law, English is a waste of time... the thinking of some people on this website:angry: :angry: USE YOUR HEAD AND REALISE THAT NOT EVERYONE DREAMS OF DOING CHEM ENGINEERING AND NOT EVERY COURSE IS A USELESS DEGREE!

When did I ever say I thought STEM degrees were the only degrees worth having?
Original post by Quantex
Of course not. My sociology degree certificate looks good on my wall and provides me with an emergency sheet of toilet paper.

An original work of art, no doubt.
Original post by L'Etudiant
Not useless, they're just worth less than STEM degrees.

Unless complemented by practical experience relevant to a pre-defined career path?
Reply 14
Original post by jambojim97
When did I ever say I thought STEM degrees were the only degrees worth having?

Since you practically included everything else in the question?
I want to be a clinical psychologist... So I have to do psychology... So it's not useless because it's directly related to the career I want to go in to.
Original post by Crystalz
I want to be a clinical psychologist... So I have to do psychology... So it's not useless because it's directly related to the career I want to go in to.

Not exactly. A psychology degrees like a foot in the door type thing. Check ur career path please.
Original post by ZeroName
Not exactly. A psychology degrees like a foot in the door type thing. Check ur career path please.

To become a psychologist you need a degree accredited by the BPS. There is no other way. Degrees accredited by the BPS are all psychology related degrees. There are no alternative methods to becoming a psychologist. Roles such as assistant psychologist are taken up by people aspiring to get places on the ClinPsyD course (and similar courses) ....
There are conversion courses but yeah
(edited 9 years ago)
No, I study Maths at Warwick and I can honestly say that most of arts, humanities and especially social sciences (like Economics, Politics and Sociology - yes Sociology) are fundamental and really essential to the functioning and the well-being of civil society and democratic system in general.

If anything, we need more people educated in fields that support civil society if we want to build a stronger liberal democracy in the UK.
Not this again...*rolls eyes so far back they are no longer attached to the sockets*

Latest

Trending

Trending