The Student Room Group

Doing summaries: does it worth?

i'm studying Business management and I have really a lot of chapters to "memorize". My exams are in december and I don't know if it's worth doing a summary of each chapter. Is it a better idea to just highlight the most important things?

What would you do?
Thanks!
Original post by aless93
i'm studying Business management and I have really a lot of chapters to "memorize". My exams are in december and I don't know if it's worth doing a summary of each chapter. Is it a better idea to just highlight the most important things?

What would you do?
Thanks!

Me, I would always summarise - it highlighted what I still needed to understand. However, I know that others say that summarising is too time consuming if you already understand the material.

Perhaps try the different methods for different chapters and see which work best for you?
Reply 2
Original post by aless93

What would you do?
Thanks!

Different things work for different people, so you need to find the technique that works for you. There's no 'right' or 'wrong' way of doing it.

I have to write things down before I start to remember them, so summaries or notes would be my approach. However if that isn't working for you, try something as simple as reading each chapter through as often as possible. As the previous poster suggests, highlighting key phrases can help some people as the memory can be very visual and colour can trigger it. If your memory is best served by hearing things, try reading the chapters aloud - maybe you could even try recording them and listening to them on the bus.

There are also other techniques to try, such as mind mapping. I found that quite handy as it was much faster than writing longhand summaries/notes.

Quick Reply

Latest