The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

best standard halls?

any prospective students or current students i'd like to hear your opinions.
I've also heard that the standard halls have mostly second years living in them, is this really true?
Thanks
Original post by em211997
I've also heard that the standard halls have mostly second years living in them, is this really true?
Thanks

Hey, just giving this thread a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply :smile:

Have you found University Connect yet? It's super useful for finding other people on your course/at your university! :smile:
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
I left Reading in 2011, but when I was there most of the people living in halls were first year students. Most second years live in student houses in the local area. I doubt it has changed that much!
Reply 3
Original post by emmalgale
I left Reading in 2011, but when I was there most of the people living in halls were first year students. Most second years live in student houses in the local area. I doubt it has changed that much!

Thanks a lot I think standard is much more affordable anyway
Thanks

Original post by emmalgale

This is still very much the case!
There will be the odd person who isn't in first year, but the majority of people in uni halls are freshers :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks a lot feel more at ease now :smile:
Reply 6
I know that they tend to put non-freshers in different areas of a hall, or there are some reserved for non-freshers. I did a year abroad, so was entitled to a place in halls in they year after I got back (I didn't take the offer up though). Some of my friends did, and they were in areas with other non-freshers (such as postgraduate students).
Reply 7
which standard halls is the best though i was only able to visit st georges
Reply 8
which standard halls is the best though i was only able to visit st georges

I can't really help with that as most of the newer halls have been built since I finished my degree. I lived in St Georges and it was fine for me. Room was a decent enough size as was the bathroom. Lots of space in the kitchen too.

When I was there, quite a few of the students in St Georges were international students as it was one of the most expensive halls at the time (quite a few international students get their accommodation paid for by their sponsor). I imagine that has changed now though.
Thanks

Hello!

No its not true that the standard halls have mostly second years in them. Generally the halls have many freshers but there is a mix of years in each one. The university generally tries to place people in the same year in the same flat. Obviously because of numbers this doesn't always work. When I lived in Windsor in my first year, in my flat of about 22, there were 4 people in their second year.

What type of accommodation would you prefer? Catered or self catered? I really enjoyed my time at Windsor which provided food and would definitely recommend it. It was a very social hall and having it catered worked out well as I didn't have to worry about cooking (that and I couldn't cook very well). There was a small pantry area to prepare some small meals (microwave, toaster, kettle, fridge and freezer). There were shared bathrooms which got cleaned every weekday and I never had to wait to use one of them. The rooms generally have a washbasin in each room which is useful, but you can opt for one without for a cheaper room.

If you would prefer self catered halls I can give you some more information on them?

Feel free to ask more questions,
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by UniofReading
Hello!

No its not true that the standard halls have mostly second years in them. Generally the halls have many freshers but there is a mix of years in each one. The university generally tries to place people in the same year in the same flat. Obviously because of numbers this doesn't always work. When I lived in Windsor in my first year, in my flat of about 22, there were 4 people in their second year.

What type of accommodation would you prefer? Catered or self catered? I really enjoyed my time at Windsor which provided food and would definitely recommend it. It was a very social hall and having it catered worked out well as I didn't have to worry about cooking (that and I couldn't cook very well). There was a small pantry area to prepare some small meals (microwave, toaster, kettle, fridge and freezer). There were shared bathrooms which got cleaned every weekday and I never had to wait to use one of them. The rooms generally have a washbasin in each room which is useful, but you can opt for one without for a cheaper room.

If you would prefer self catered halls I can give you some more information on them?

Feel free to ask more questions,
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art :smile:

I got my last offer today and definitely want reading as my firm choice. I'd also be doing standard self catered what are the names of these buildings so I can do some research. Thanks
I got my last offer today and definitely want reading as my firm choice. I'd also be doing standard self catered what are the names of these buildings so I can do some research. Thanks

Hello!

Its great to hear that you would like to put Reading as your first choice! There is a whole range of self catered halls to choose from with different room types (en-suite, premium, room with washbasin, shared bathrooms). Here is the link with all the self catered halls and their information:
http://www.reading.ac.uk/life/accommodation/acc-halls-list.aspx

Pip :elmo:

Quick Reply

Latest