The Student Room Group

Do the dead have rights?

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't say that "the dead have rights" exactly, because they're just inanimate objects without a care in the world now. Rather, I would say that the family of the deceased (and other people who remain alive after the person's death) have the right to insist that certain wishes of the deceased are carried out.

For example, if I were to die right now, my mum would inherit a lot of money from me. But if someone came along and robbed it all as soon as I died, I'm not really going to care, because I'm dead. My mum probably will care though, because she'll end up worse off than she should. It's not my rights that are being violated here, it's hers. She has the right to insist that, since I intended for all of my wealth to become hers in the case of my death, that this must actually happen.
Original post by Aph
I would just like to ask all you saying absolute control what if a person died and didn't want to donate their organs but their heart could save a little boys life say? Is it not more moral to save the child's life then abide by the wishes of a dead person?

No. It is not. I'm going to sound soulless saying this, but if the boy is in such a terrible condition that only this heart could save him, he probably couldn't survive anyway. Of course, if it was a boy close to me I'd take the heart- I'm a terrible hypocrite and not afraid to admit it.
Original post by WolfBird
Yes. Personally I don't think necrophilia should be illegal as long as the corpse gave consent for their body to be used that way while they were alive, kind of like in a will. And of course precautions should be took in case of disease. It's not like it's hurting anyone or denying anyone else their rights. I'd happily donate my body to a necrophiliac and even give them permission to cut it up if they want. Dead bodies aren't something I put much value on. I would also gladly accept a corpse for those purposes.

Sorry what? 'You would glady accept a corpse for those purposes'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by RobertWhite
Sorry what? 'You would glady accept a corpse for those purposes'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a non-exclusive necrophiliac which means I like corpses, but also living persons.
Reply 24
Original post by Unruly Marmite
No. It is not. I'm going to sound soulless saying this, but if the boy is in such a terrible condition that only this heart could save him, he probably couldn't survive anyway. Of course, if it was a boy close to me I'd take the heart- I'm a terrible hypocrite and not afraid to admit it.

I'm not saying only one heart can save him but with that attitude that 'someone else will doanate' might as well means no one does.
Original post by Aph
I'm not saying only one heart can save him but with that attitude that 'someone else will doanate' might as well means no one does.

True enough. but there are people who donate, so that argument is flawed. As it happens I intend to donate- I'm not going to care what happens after I die. But for people who do care, it could well be a big deal, and knowing their wishes will likely not be respected could be very distressing to them at the end of their life. Is that not immoral also?
Reply 26
True enough. but there are people who donate, so that argument is flawed. As it happens I intend to donate- I'm not going to care what happens after I die. But for people who do care, it could well be a big deal, and knowing their wishes will likely not be respected could be very distressing to them at the end of their life. Is that not immoral also?

The argument is that it shouldn't be up to everyone else. I also feel that if you need to help someone then they are dead their wishes shouldn't matter over that of a living person. Call it autaritarian utilitarianism if you want but that is my opinion.
Original post by Aph
The argument is that it shouldn't be up to everyone else. I also feel that if you need to help someone then they are dead their wishes shouldn't matter over that of a living person. Call it autaritarian utilitarianism if you want but that is my opinion.

I see the point- yes, if someone who is going to die can be saved by an organ from a dead person, then I'd say it is human to sympathise with the dying, not the dead. But I feel that peoples wishes must be respected, and if it is judged that taking the organs of a dead person despite their wishes is justified then I'd say that's the start of a slippery slope.
Reply 28
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Nah, I couldn't give a **** about dead people's so-called 'rights'. It's not a person anymore, it's a bag of rotting meat at that point.

I'm a non-exclusive necrophiliac which means I like corpses, but also living persons.

Fair enough... is this something you tried and liked or always knew?

It must have been scary realising this fact unless this just feels naturally normal for you?
Reply 30
I see the point- yes, if someone who is going to die can be saved by an organ from a dead person, then I'd say it is human to sympathise with the dying, not the dead. But I feel that peoples wishes must be respected, and if it is judged that taking the organs of a dead person despite their wishes is justified then I'd say that's the start of a slippery slope.

But that is why this is a tough philisophical question because both sides a e mAsive negatives and positives.
Original post by Aph
I would just like to ask all you saying absolute control what if a person died and didn't want to donate their organs but their heart could save a little boys life say? Is it not more moral to save the child's life then abide by the wishes of a dead person?

No, my views might change however, I do not think I want my organs donated (they are in tip top shape, I eat well, I do not drink, I do not smoke or do drugs). Not for any reasons other than you are not allowed to control who the organs go to and I do not want my organs going to save a member of the general public who are utter filth through and through.
Well they certainly don't have the right to life
Reply 33
Original post by DepthCharge
No, my views might change however, I do not think I want my organs donated (they are in tip top shape, I eat well, I do not drink, I do not smoke or do drugs). Not for any reasons other than you are not allowed to control who the organs go to and I do not want my organs going to save a member of the general public who are utter filth through and through.

I can't express how pathetic that sounds.
Reply 34
Original post by RobertWhite
Fair enough... is this something you tried and liked or always knew?

It must have been scary realising this fact unless this just feels naturally normal for you?

Not sure. I can't trace necrophilia back to childhood like I can with all my other paraphilias and thought it might be the result of a reaction formation to my other fantasy which are very sick, as a means of justifying or making them not necessary.

Or it could be that I just never looked at corpses until around fourteen or fifteen so never knew until then. I saw them in media and then looked for the real thing, which is easy to find.

It wasn't scary, but I did feel messed up and tried to stop. Now I have just accepted it for what it is and be as open as I can, I am quite fearful of people's reactions though.
Original post by Aph
I can't express how pathetic that sounds.

I just do not want to donate my organs to a member of the general public, one of those overwrought vermin that is ruled by emotion not reason. As for your 'oh but what if it could help a small child', overly sentimental crap. I do not care about children, most of them are a bunch of snotty little ****s who should be back working in the mines, no organs for them no thank you.
Not sure. I can't trace necrophilia back to childhood like I can with all my other paraphilias and thought it might be the result of a reaction formation to my other fantasy which are very sick, as a means of justifying or making them not necessary.

Or it could be that I just never looked at corpses until around fourteen or fifteen so never knew until then. I saw them in media and then looked for the real thing, which is easy to find.

It wasn't scary, but I did feel messed up and tried to stop. Now I have just accepted it for what it is and be as open as I can, I am quite fearful of people's reactions though.

So long as you do not have sexual intercourse with any deceased member of my family, then I say more power to you. Remember to leave your phone number by the burial mound when you are done, as then relatives can call you up and you can let them know how well their grandmother is and whether she has any messages for them.
Original post by SP0TIFY

I agree with him. I should bury peoples relatives for them, and once the funeral is over send over the corpse to be made into glue and other products.
Reply 38
Original post by DepthCharge
I just do not want to donate my organs to a member of the general public, one of those overwrought vermin that is ruled by emotion not reason. As for your 'oh but what if it could help a small child', overly sentimental crap. I do not care about children, most of them are a bunch of snotty little ****s who should be back working in the mines, no organs for them no thank you.

Awful troll btw. You just lost all believability.
Original post by Aph
Awful troll btw. You just lost all believability.

I am not trolling. I do not want my organs going to help a member of the general public.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending