The Student Room Group

Interstellar discussion (contains spoilers)

To those who've seen it... thoughts?

I seemed to only appreciate the film once I read an in depth plot summary/explanation after watching it lol... The physics went right over my head and I must admit I really didn't have a clue what was happening at some points

Scroll to see replies

10/10 film. would watch again. Emotional
I thought it was pretty good tbh, interesting plot twist, but still good.
Reply 3
Wasn't impressed to be honest. Its scope is obviously impressive, but beyond that, I thought there were few reasons for it to be critically lauded. A lot of the plot is predictable in my opinion. Nowhere near the level of Inception in terms of intelligence, but it's still worth seeing because a Nolan film is better than 99.5% of any other film out there.
Reply 4
I agree with the scope of the film being amazing but generally I was underwhelmed, there's something about Nolan films that leave you feeling cold, Interstellar didn't do much to change that.
Reply 5
Original post by Mackay
Wasn't impressed to be honest. Its scope is obviously impressive, but beyond that, I thought there were few reasons for it to be critically lauded. A lot of the plot is predictable in my opinion. Nowhere near the level of Inception in terms of intelligence, but it's still worth seeing because a Nolan film is better than 99.5% of any other film out there.

Plot isn't very complicated, but the science behind it seemed way too advanced for a lay audience. Felt like I was watching a astrophysics report at some points. I did enjoy the twist though
A Nolan film always gets overrated.
Reply 7
Some questions:

-I wonder why the future 5th dimensional humans didn't just directly send the information for the gravity equation back to the current humans? Instead of making current human (cooper) go on this convoluted mission across space and time to figure out himself with the help of TARS (which may not have worked, I mean Matt Damon almost killed him), and then figure out a way to communicate it back to his adult daughter who then has to solve it herself. Unless this is just one of those "had to happen for the sake of there being a movie" things

-When coop is in the tesseract, how exactly do the physics work there? Apparently he is able to knock things off the bookshelf from behind, implying he has some physical influence on what is beyond in the current 3d world. But he is unable to go through it himself

-Who are the 5th dimensional humans? How did they survive in the first place (considering earth was dying)? Are they the descendants of the Plan B humans, because that is the only explanation I can think of without invoking some impossible to comprehend paradox. Why would they be so concerned with helping old humans in the first place anyway?

-Why would time move slower on the first planet (with the tidal waves) than it did on the main ship orbiting the planet (where the black dude was for 23 years)? I can understand due to the gravity from the black hole why time moves slower there compared to earth.... but the main ship was just orbiting the planet so surely it experienced the same gravitation pull from the black hole as coop and crew experienced on the actual surface of the planet?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bertstare
Some questions:

-I wonder why the future 5th dimensional humans didn't just directly send the information for the gravity equation back to the current humans? Instead of making current human (cooper) go on this convoluted mission across space and time to figure out himself with the help of TARS (which may not have worked, I mean Matt Damon almost killed him), and then figure out a way to communicate it back to his adult daughter who then has to solve it herself. Unless this is just one of those "had to happen for the sake of there being a movie" things

-When coop is in the tesseract, how exactly do the physics work there? Apparently he is able to knock things off the bookshelf from behind, implying he has some physical influence on what is beyond in the current 3d world. But he is unable to go through it himself

-Who are the 5th dimensional humans? How did they survive in the first place (considering earth was dying)? Are they the descendants of the Plan B humans, because that is the only explanation I can think of without invoking some impossible to comprehend paradox. Why would they be so concerned with helping old humans in the first place anyway?

-Why would time move slower on the first planet (with the tidal waves) than it did on the main ship orbiting the planet (where the black dude was for 23 years)? I can understand due to the gravity from the black hole why time moves slower there compared to earth.... but the main ship was just orbiting the planet so surely it experienced the same gravitation pull from the black hole as coop and crew experienced on the actual surface of the planet?

have you discussed on the misc? seems to be very popular there.
Reply 9
To me the film was a departure from what had become Nolan's style. Rather than relying on a massive, infinitely twisting plot that takes analysis and breakdown, this film had a story which invites you to think about what could be. To me that's what sci-fi should be and I was very happy with this film. I liked the story which is quite simple and, perhaps confusingly, quite linear. Took a bit of thinking to get straight everything that happened exactly, and then reading other peoples interpretations always helps. But yes story was good and at some of the quieter points I found myself thinking about the universe the film draws you into - what if scenarios etc. It's not like Memento or Inception, the film doesn't rely on a huge non-conventional plot. For me this film was more 'about the journey', like 2001, though I've seen a lot of people hesitating to compare the two and I understand that too.

Film is in places open to interpretation as to what the story ultimately means although I felt the ending almost gave 'too much' closure, which is unusual ;P Other things - music was phenomenal as were the special effects and the general cinematography was astounding. In particular the "farm -> liftoff" cut was cool. Lastly, Matt Damon popped out of a lifepod out of nowhere. Had no idea he was in the movie, so that was fun too. He seemed way too built to be a theoretical physicist or whatever he was though!

Matthew McConaughey's acting was also absolutely spot-on.

Really loved the film and am looking forward to watching it again. In a lot of ways, it doesn't really feel like a "Nolan film" and to me that's OK.

Spoiler

i got really lost throughout the movie and am not sure i have the patience to read the plot, it was still enjoyable for the acting - i think it should have been a series though not a single movie

Spoiler

Reply 12
I saw the Matt Damon thing an absolute mile off - and the identity of the 'ghost'.
Original post by YesAllMen
10/10 film. would watch again. Emotional

Totally agree, I saw it yesterday at IMAX and absolutely loved it. The first scene where he is dreaming of his ship crashing actually made my heart race it was that believable.

The only bit that was totally lost on me was the impact of the big lie that they wouldn't get back. I kinda saw that coming and Matt Damon just kinda ruined the bubble of emotion I had been in. Also, Anne Hathaway's "this monstrous lie!!" line made me laugh, it was a bit over the top :lol:
Some questions:

My guess is that they had to to be able to survive. There is some weird time thing going on, like when he's knocking the books off, where things wouldn't happen if their future self doesn't do something in the past.

This was the only bit that didn't make sense to me... I'm putting it down to "some things just aren't explainable to our puny minds". Although they kinda explained it by saying they can only interact with gravity. So maybe he was throwing out little pockets of gravity?

I thought they were just evolved humans way off in the future. Who can't actually travel through time but know how to control gravity through time. And somehow, his link with his daughter was vital for her to believe and obsess over her life's events to work it all out.

Not sure but I bet some smart physicist on here can explain gravity and time :smile:

This is all really timely for me, I've been reading about plants and energy a lot. Then there was the Brian Cox programme the other week that proposed time might not exist, everything is just a series of reactions. Then this came along. I'm fascinated by time now! :biggrin:
Too loooooooong.

I was really fidgety, my mind was wandering so it obviously wasn't grabbing me.

Spoiler

But saying all that, still not the worst film I've seen.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
I think the idea of Cooper being dead and the Cooper Island fiasco being his vision before death is a really good one. I find it difficult to imagine he went from where he did to waking up in a bed.
I loved that film so much. Physicist boyfriend probably less so because he spent most of the following lovely meal out explaining general relativity to me. And then wormholes. And then how different dimensions work. And then time-space. And then Planck Time.

It was awesome :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Love the visuals and scope (Space Nerd)...But since I've had time to think about it, I don't think it was that great, in fact I would say it's not even in Nolan's top 3 or 4 films.

Maybe because of how awesome Inception was and the Dark Knight was, I was expecting something even greater than what it was.

7.5/10
(edited 9 years ago)
Watched this for my 18th :biggrin: Such an amazing movie. I think it's one of Matthew Mcconaughey's best performances and definitely one of Nolan's best movies. I love the soundtrack so much (more than Inception's). It's my favourite by Hans Zimmer. The Nolan brothers have really made something special. The showcase X-Plus really was the perfect finishing touch to an already amazing experience.

9/10 (I'm saving my ten :wink:)
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending