The Student Room Group

Canadian applicant questions

Hello everyone,

Forgive me if this is posted into the wrong area. I'm a Canadian from Vancouver, British Columbia, who is considering applying for a few program at Imperial College and UCL for Fall 2015. I completed high school 2 years ago and didn't take it seriously. Since then, however, I've developed a deep interest in science through magazines, articles and documentaries available to me.

Over the last few months I've gone and completed Biology 12, Pre-Calculus 12, Physics 12 and Chemistry 12 online. Between high school and the online courses I've attained:

-96% in Biology 12
-93% in Chemistry 12
-95% in Pre-Calculus 12
-93% in Physics 12
-90% in Physics 11
-85% in English 12

I'd like to know if I am likely to be accepted with these grades. I have no AP classes under my belt to speak of and these are the best courses currently available to me.

My first choice is Microbiology with Materials Science, BioChem, Physics and Materials Science being my back-up choices in that order.

Thanks for any and all replies,

The_Canuck
Hey, just giving this thread a bump. :bump: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help you get more responses. :yy:
If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university!
Original post by The_Canuck
Hello everyone,

Forgive me if this is posted into the wrong area. I'm a Canadian from Vancouver, British Columbia, who is considering applying for a few program at Imperial College and UCL for Fall 2015. I completed high school 2 years ago and didn't take it seriously. Since then, however, I've developed a deep interest in science through magazines, articles and documentaries available to me.

Over the last few months I've gone and completed Biology 12, Pre-Calculus 12, Physics 12 and Chemistry 12 online. Between high school and the online courses I've attained:

-96% in Biology 12
-93% in Chemistry 12
-95% in Pre-Calculus 12
-93% in Physics 12
-90% in Physics 11
-85% in English 12

I'd like to know if I am likely to be accepted with these grades. I have no AP classes under my belt to speak of and these are the best courses currently available to me.

My first choice is Microbiology with Materials Science, BioChem, Physics and Materials Science being my back-up choices in that order.

Thanks for any and all replies,

The_Canuck

You will be applying to a couple of the top UK universities, and these are very competitive to enter. It is therefore very important to be certain about the course that you would like to study before making an approach to the universities. The formal application has to be through UCAS, but admissions tutors for your course (check the relevant webpage for the course on each university's website) would be the best people to answer your questions about your qualifications.

Part of the UCAS process involves writing a personal statement, and it might well be helpful to you to look at preparing this first, to clarify in your own mind what you want to do in the future, and to set out your current status. It needs to be wholly positive (anything negative can be covered by a referee, stressing that you have overcome these and are ready to tackle university study - it is a good idea to think hard now about who should be your academic referee).

This video (http://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/imedia/content/view/1738/how-to-write-an-excellent-personal-statement ) from Imperial is an excellent guide.

All the best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending