The Student Room Group

Contracts and Pay slips

i started working in a new job in a computer training companies offices in May, however when i started i never had to sign a contract and no mention was made of . at the time i never even noticed , i was just glad to get the job , its my first job since graduating from uni and its not my ideal job but it'll do me for now. However, im wondering about this lack of contract as to be this seems a litle strange , i thought a contract would be used in any job/ employment situation. but as this is my first 'proper' job im not too sure, maybe its no big deal for no contract to signed etc, but iv had lots of little summer jobs , in places like Tescos, mcdonalds, clothes stores and the like in breaks betw school and college holidays and in these places i always had a contract given to me evn there evn though they were for a short period of time.

so just wondering if i should be worried about not having a contract? iv been having trouble with a girl who also works there, and while i dont intend to leave over her , it has made me wondered about lack of contract.

also should i be getting a pay slip ?
cos im getting paid into my bank ac so i dont get a pay slip , i just thought haivng a pay slip would help to me to keep track of everything im getting paid
Reply 1
Pay slip would also show the tax and NI

I'd mention it to them
You would have to check this one out, but I believe an employer is legally bound to issue a contract of employment within 8 weeks of you starting your post, no matter how long the period of time you are going to be with the company.

The company you work for should have a recognised Union and at least one shop steward should be appointed. Even if you're not a member of the union it might be an idea to find out who the shop steward is and ask about it or ask your direct Line Manager.

You should also be getting some for of pay slip as this is your record of taxes paid (incase there are any discrepancies that your or HMRC discover).
Reply 3
, but I believe an employer is legally bound to issue a contract of employment within 8 weeks of you starting your post

TRUE!!!
Reply 4
thanks for replys , since i posted last , a contract was mentioned to me , so hopefully it'll happen soon, why the wait til now im not sure.

but still no pay slip, last month i got a pay rise,but i dont how much cos iv no payslip , i tried to work it out by my bank statement but cos i work irregualr hours each week , and without a pay slip i dont know how much tax im paying, so i couldnt work out how much im getting paid now ,so i may have to mention it and find out, iv been putting it off, i hate to ask these things
Reply 5
ASK YOUR HR DEPARTMENT!!!!

Dear HR.

I am not getting payslips, or contract. Please supply.

Hugs and kisses,

**R**

Latest

Trending

Trending