The Student Room Group

What footwear for male health care assistant

So I start as a HCA tomorrow and it's suddenly occurred to me I've had no advice on what to wear on my feet , for women it would seem obvious but I have no idea what a guy would wear for a job in the nhs as a HCA , suggestions please
i hear a lot of healthcare workers wear crocs
Original post by white boy

Ah yes , unfortunately not on wards though as they don't entirely cover the foot
Original post by white boy

A lot of places have banned them.

OP, seeing as you start tomorrow and it's unlikely you'll be able to buy anything at this time on a Sunday just wear a pair of shoes, they'll probably comply with the rules for where you work. See what the unit policy is on them and look at getting something that may be more appropriate/comfortable once you know what you can wear.
Original post by moonkatt
A lot of places have banned them.

OP, seeing as you start tomorrow and it's unlikely you'll be able to buy anything at this time on a Sunday just wear a pair of shoes, they'll probably comply with the rules for where you work. See what the unit policy is on them and look at getting something that may be more appropriate/comfortable once you know what you can wear.

Sounds like pretty sound advice , if I was to wear something more on the trainer side of things however ( as my only smart shoes are very pointy Italian leather ones haha ) would some blue flat relatively smart canvas and mesh trainers do ?
Original post by Scowley12
Sounds like pretty sound advice , if I was to wear something more on the trainer side of things however ( as my only smart shoes are very pointy Italian leather ones haha ) would some blue flat relatively smart canvas and mesh trainers do ?

Sorry for the late reply. You need something that's waterproof really, are you not having to do an induction week before going onto the ward?
So I start as a HCA tomorrow and it's suddenly occurred to me I've had no advice on what to wear on my feet , for women it would seem obvious but I have no idea what a guy would wear for a job in the nhs as a HCA , suggestions please

How did you get on?
Original post by moonkatt
How did you get on?

First two days have been good , busy but good ! Currently wearing canvas flats which although I'm aware aren't supposed to be worn don't seen to bother the sister on ward so ...
First two days have been good , busy but good ! Currently wearing canvas flats which although I'm aware aren't supposed to be worn don't seen to bother the sister on ward so ...

Excellent, it can be really hard work sometimes. Some words of advice though, look at getting some decent shoes. It's worth spending money on a good pair. I spent about 60 quid on some sketchers that have lasted me for well over a year. I cover between six and eight miles in a shift, I'm on my feet for the majority of those twelve hours, it's worth forking out to look after your feet otherwise you start to know about it.
Walking shoes that aren't coloured/ or are plain?
crocs ftw

they are easily cleaned yet sturdy and smart. probably choose a subdued color tho'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending