The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Maths Applied module: S1 or D1?

I have to choose between doing either S1 or D1 as my optional module - not sure which to choose. D1 looks 'weird' (as in, unfamiliar) but quite straightforward. S1 looks familiar but less straightforward.

Have you guys had any experience in S1 and/or D1? Which one would you recommend? I'm tempted to ask which you would say it 'easier' but I know that is very subjective.

Thanks in advance.
I am doing S1 at the moment, and I am finding it good. I have heard that in D1 one wrong answer can affect a lot so concentration is key, it is kind of the same in some questions for S1. I haven't looked at any content from D1 so I wouldn't be able to comment on which one you should do, some people in my class are finding S1 easier than C1 believe it or not.
Original post by Ben4
I am doing S1 at the moment, and I am finding it good. I have heard that in D1 one wrong answer can affect a lot so concentration is key, it is kind of the same in some questions for S1. I haven't looked at any content from D1 so I wouldn't be able to comment on which one you should do, some people in my class are finding S1 easier than C1 believe it or not.

Wow that's interesting - I may go for S1 then. Also, I've gone onto Edexcel's website - they don't seem to have any past papers from Decision Maths? I can only ever find the Cs, Ms and Ss, but never the Ds.
Hi there - I've done both S1 and D1 in the first and second years respectively. (Edexcel by the way)

Your assessment of both modules are correct. I'm not sure which would be better to do in the first year - you might end up doing both if that's allowed. (My school let me do S1 for AS Maths and D1 for A2 Maths - not 100% if you can do that the other way round) but they're both the nicer of all the maths modules.

D1 is kind of straightforward and it's a good module to do if you want to get a solid grade. If you're expecting 90-100 UMS from the module then.. that takes a lot of dilligence. The questions mostly seem straightforward and towards the end of the year it comes down to how many marks you lose in the exam, not how many you gain. I remember that the exam took alot of concentration to do and not slip up - one slip up can cost you a few marks, and that combined with fairly higher grade boundaries than other modules, can be quite meh.

S1 was also pretty cool. It felt a bit familiar (the probability stuff) but the textbook is quite thick compared to other modules (and so there's more content). It took a lot of work to get to grips with some of the stuff but it wasn't too challenging.

Also note next year you can choose to do S2 if you take S1 and D2 if you do D1, but I'd say go with both S1 and D1 to really get a feel of the different disciplines of Maths.

I'd say overall D1 was more interesting (some of the questions in textbook made my whole class laugh just by the context that was being set up) and that's important to do well in any subject - you ought to be interested in it.

Also I think D1 has always been a June module - you may be looking in January. The code is 6689.
(edited 9 years ago)
My friends who did D1 say it was incredibly easy.

S1 is quite difficult from personal experience, but it'll help you SO much if you choose to progress down a career of maths/science.

I remember my mum was doing her medicine postgraduate at KCL and almost the entirety of her statistics module was normal distributions (at the same level taught in S1 Edexcel)
Reply 5
I wouldn't go near d1 if I had the choice, biggest waste of time ever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Heey

So I am currently doing S1 and I think it's easier than C1. I know many people will disagree but that's up to you.

PS: it may be just me as I am struggling in C1.

Hope that helped!!!
Original post by SeanFM
Hi there - I've done both S1 and D1 in the first and second years respectively. (Edexcel by the way)

Your assessment of both modules are correct. I'm not sure which would be better to do in the first year - you might end up doing both if that's allowed. (My school let me do S1 for AS Maths and D1 for A2 Maths - not 100% if you can do that the other way round) but they're both the nicer of all the maths modules.

D1 is kind of straightforward and it's a good module to do if you want to get a solid grade. If you're expecting 90-100 UMS from the module then.. that takes a lot of dilligence. The questions mostly seem straightforward and towards the end of the year it comes down to how many marks you lose in the exam, not how many you gain. I remember that the exam took alot of concentration to do and not slip up - one slip up can cost you a few marks, and that combined with fairly higher grade boundaries than other modules, can be quite meh.

S1 was also pretty cool. It felt a bit familiar (the probability stuff) but the textbook is quite thick compared to other modules (and so there's more content). It took a lot of work to get to grips with some of the stuff but it wasn't too challenging.

Also note next year you can choose to do S2 if you take S1 and D2 if you do D1, but I'd say go with both S1 and D1 to really get a feel of the different disciplines of Maths.

I'd say overall D1 was more interesting (some of the questions in textbook made my whole class laugh just by the context that was being set up) and that's important to do well in any subject - you ought to be interested in it.

Also I think D1 has always been a June module - you may be looking in January. The code is 6689.

Thanks for this - I will be doing S1, D1 and S2 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest