The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We had a lovely Russian woman teach us how to say 'sex,' whore,' and also how to say 'shh' to anybody rude enough to talk through a film with Russell Crowe in it. It was possibly, one of the more bizarre moments in my life.
Blimey.. mine have actually "properly" started!

Ways of Reading (FRENCH) - Lecture - Introduction to what the module is about (basically stuff about reading french stuff) (already kinda forgotten what she actually said!)

French culture and society (FRENCH) - Lecture - 5th Republic and stuff (how the 4th Republic ended etc etc)

French Language I - (FRENCH)- (there are three classes - language, grammar and oral).. not really "done" much yet.. just sort of introduced us to the web resources we can use..

Principles of Linguistics - (LINGUISTICS) - Lecture - Talked about all the little "subheadings" of linguistics, like metalinguistics, phonology, phonetics, semantics, morphology, syntax, sociolinguistics, psycholinguistics etc etc.

Sounds of English - (LINGUISTICS) - Lecture - What the module is all about/It's basically a module on phonology and phonetics - how sounds are produced, what they sound like, how to write them using the International Phonetic Alphabet. Also a bit on how we'll have to learn all the linguistic terminology which will "form a foundation" for other modules.

Beginner's Mandarin Chinese :biggrin: - classes - (had three hours of lessons so far) - learnt how to greet, ask about family, how to ask someone's name, how to say your name.. bout it really. Oh ye - learnt quite a few characters as-well (about 10-15?).

So ye - quite a bit lol! I missed the seminars 'cause I thought they don't start till next week - oops! I emailed the appropriate lecturers though so hopefully won't be too bad..
Reply 3
Not a lot... just "my name is", "your name is", "what's your name?", "how do you say...?", "please read this", "please write it", "please listen" etc
Aaah yes mine are the same as Cunning_Linguist's which isn't surprising as we're at the same Uni but it's all proper full on doing stuff.

I have so much work to do this weekend - I have to label like ALL the rivers in Germany, which is wrong because I'm awful at maps!!

I've had to do oral, grammar/trans, society actually in German. German history in English & *shudders* Phonology in English also - which is evil and boring and who the hell cares about 'The Sounds of German'.

In Russian it's all been really weird, lots of speaking, learning letters, I pretty much know the alphabet and can write famous peoples names...which was homework. We also did some grammar so I am, to say the least OVERWHELMED !
Reply 5
Hardly anything so far! I had an introductory French lecture and then a 2 hour language block where we spoke French continuously (which I loved, it's what the whole thing's all about really). I think lectures and grammar classes will properly kick in this forthcoming week.
I just had my first 50 minute class this morning, which was a French grammar seminar with a lovely test :eek: It was multiple choice, so quite easy, and we were warned about it via email yesterday, but still a bit harsh for the first lesson when we haven't done any French for 3 months!
Reply 7
What grammar was it on Kelly? :p: Just random A Level stuff?
brimstone
What grammar was it on Kelly? :p: Just random A Level stuff?

Pretty much lol, it was a gap fill exercise where you had to choose the correct word from a choice of 4 based on grammar rules.
I haven't actually done any work yet (well no lectures, I am working!) but I've had meetings/introductions with several random people and I have:
Use of French - grammar in small groups weekly
French translation - fortnightly
French literature lectures - 2 per week
French literature seminar - one fortnightly
French literature supervision - one fortnightly
French oral supervision - one weekly and no more hopefully

French test was 9am this morning but no Spanish grammar test which is nice.
Then all of the above for Spanish and maybe some Polish :biggrin:
I've just had my second class, which was a study skills lecture almost entirely in French :eek: That was a bit of a shock to the system because my A-level classes were almost entirely in English, but I understood everything and it was quite nice to be immersed in the language at that level. First Spanish lesson tomorrow :smile:
Reply 11
I feel like such a tard, everyone I know is at/will be at uni and I'm on my smelly gap year:frown:
Although I do get to go to Buenos Aires for 6 months:biggrin:
Yes I do intend on bringing that up at every possible occaision
Reply 12
Half of my degree is French, so I think I'm "qualified" to post here. :p:

French language:
oral: first class tommorrow
written: diagnostic test (HORROR!)
lecture: international phonetic alphabet (useless)

French Political Thought:
read the first 6 chapters of Rousseau (in French), tried to understand it, failed. Plus, my tutor is quite intimidating.
Reply 13
I think I've to agree: there are 6 natives in my French philosophy seminar which doesn't make it easier.

:banghead: I should do my reading! NOW!
Had my first Spanish class today- learning the alphabet up to I (would have been more but the teacher was late) and a few basic words and phrases like hello, good day, good afternoon, good night, what's your name, how are you etc. We all had to repeat each letter of the alphabet and certain words after the teacher- felt like being in year 7 again lol :biggrin:
Reply 15
Lol, but it IS a Spanish beginners course, isn't it? Our first chapter on French grammar was about the personal pronouns: je, tu, il/ elle( on and so on. :biggrin:
Reply 16
wesetters
My French grammar lesson was about subordinate clauses :rolleyes: :yawn:

And what are they? :p:
My 'Sounds of German' phonology class is like death, but worse !!
Jammertal
Lol, but it IS a Spanish beginners course, isn't it? Our first chapter on French grammar was about the personal pronouns: je, tu, il/ elle( on and so on. :biggrin:

Yeah, but I did GCSE, so can I relax for a few weeks :wink: Snap lol! Are you using the textbook 'le francais en faculte', by any chance?
kellywood_5
Yeah, but I did GCSE, so can I relax for a few weeks :wink: Snap lol! Are you using the textbook 'le francais en faculte', by any chance?

lol i hav that... it looks impossible :confused: :rolleyes: what's it like using it?

Latest

Trending

Trending