The Student Room Group

Tonsillitis - how long does it last?

Had symptoms of tonsillitis for about a week (severe pain when swallowing and talking, loss of appetite, on and off fever, swollen glands, white on tonsils) but I thought it was just some sort of bad cold so I didn't see the GP until yesterday. Was prescribed antibiotics (Penicillin).

Anyone that's had it - how long does it take for the pain in your throat to go away?
I'm so tired of the pain and not being able to eat properly. :frown:
As long as you take your antibiotics as instructed it should die down in a few days-a week, but obviously you need to take your whole course of pills :smile: I used to get it nearly once a month until I got them removed it sucks
Reply 2
Lost count how many times I have had tonsilitis and for some reason, the docs decided to keep my tonsils in :eek:

It'll take a day or 2 for the antibiotics to kick in so the symptoms will start dying down then and you should be all cured in about a week.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SleepingLion3
Had symptoms of tonsillitis for about a week (severe pain when swallowing and talking, loss of appetite, on and off fever, swollen glands, white on tonsils) but I thought it was just some sort of bad cold so I didn't see the GP until yesterday. Was prescribed antibiotics (Penicillin).

Anyone that's had it - how long does it take for the pain in your throat to go away?
I'm so tired of the pain and not being able to eat properly. :frown:

Coincidence much.

Had exactly the same symptoms two weeks ago, got prescribed penicillin for a week and after about 4-5 days I started to feel 90% better.

GP also advised me to take painkillers during the course which really helped.

But take the full course though to make sure all the infection is gone and no chance of spreading. You should be good after a week.
Thanks guys for the replies :smile:
So far this is the third day on antibiotics and I've seen no improvement yet but fingers crossed it will happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by urgentcare27
Certainly there are many vital attention heart unveiled available since because of the huge demand and also first selection of individual to travel to these types of centers.

Uh what
Stop spamming people's health threads with irrelevant rubbish.

*mutters* dumb***
Hey guys, so today is my last day on antibiotics, it's been a really slow process but the pain in my throat has definitely improved - but it's not 100% better, and my tonsils are still visibly inflamed.

Should I go to the GP again? I'm guessing they might keep me on antibiotics until the infection is completely gone? Because I don't know what the recurrence of tonsillities is like...
Hey guys, so today is my last day on antibiotics, it's been a really slow process but the pain in my throat has definitely improved - but it's not 100% better, and my tonsils are still visibly inflamed.

Should I go to the GP again? I'm guessing they might keep me on antibiotics until the infection is completely gone? Because I don't know what the recurrence of tonsillities is like...

Um listen I think you should go to the GP again. I was told that if the inflammation doesn't go away within the course then I should go back again. Its good news that the antibiotics are actually working so you might just get another week on it.

Seems like you've had a really bad case of Refresher's flu. You'll be fine though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stickman
Um listen I think you should go to the GP again. I was told that if the inflammation doesn't go away within the course then I should go back again. Its good news that the antibiotics are actually working so you might just get another week on it.

Seems like you've had a really bad case of Refresher's flu. You'll be fine though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, yeah that's what I thought I should do too. I'll just have to wait until Monday to get an appointment.

Refreshers' flu but like 6 weeks delayed ha. Or telepathically sent tonsillitis.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks, yeah that's what I thought I should do too. I'll just have to wait until Monday to get an appointment.

Refreshers' flu but like 6 weeks delayed ha. Or telepathically sent tonsillitis.

Heheh - that the only thing you got telepathically?
Why? You sent something else too? :L
Its getting personal dude. People will be like 'get a room'.. xD

Quick Reply

Latest