The Student Room Group

Help! I need shoes to survive rain/snow

Hello all,

I am new to Birmingham. I lived in London for two years but never had to deal with so much mud and wet land and it's certainly colder up here.

My feet are always cold and seeing all the potential snow reports, I feel I need to buy a good pair of shoes. Something that keeps me warm, lets me walk over snow and wet areas. I have never bought boots before so I am clueless (and don't like the look of Wellies and such) plus I doubt I can spend more than £70-90. Please help!

R
Reply 1
What are you asking exactly? Where to buy them?
Have you considered Doc Martens? They're waterproof and durable, and they have gritty soles which should stop you from slipping on ice. Yes, they're a bit pricey but some of them are on sale now which can push them below the £70 mark. I just discovered they have a new waterproof range, which is cheaper than the leather range as well: http://www.drmartens.com/uk/Womens-Boots/Dr-Martens-Drench-Boot/p/15219001

Since they're so durable I think it's worth investing in a pair if you like them and think you'll be wearing them for years to come. (I think I've had my pair since I was fifteen and I'm now twenty-two!) As for keeping warm, there's nothing a thick pair of woollen socks can't do!
Which pair/brand would be ideal and such, to begin with :smile:

Original post by Meduza
What are you asking exactly? Where to buy them?
Reply 4
Original post by paperaeroplane
Which pair/brand would be ideal and such, to begin with :smile:

I like hush puppies :colondollar:
and their prices for boots fit within your range!
Ah, great! Thank you so much. They seem to have the same model for men, too, and I should pop by their store to try it on. It's £75 but I am happy to spend given your experience has been good so far. I think it's a seasonal need to begin with, but once I get used to them, maybe I can use them more often seeing how often it rains around here.

Thank you, I will be sure to check out Dr Martens this weekend!

Original post by Sempiternitas
Have you considered Doc Martens? They're waterproof and durable, and they have gritty soles which should stop you from slipping on ice. Yes, they're a bit pricey but some of them are on sale now which can push them below the £70 mark. I just discovered they have a new waterproof range, which is cheaper than the leather range as well: http://www.drmartens.com/uk/Womens-Boots/Dr-Martens-Drench-Boot/p/15219001

Since they're so durable I think it's worth investing in a pair if you like them and think you'll be wearing them for years to come. (I think I've had my pair since I was fifteen and I'm now twenty-two!) As for keeping warm, there's nothing a thick pair of woollen socks can't do!
Original post by paperaeroplane
Ah, great! Thank you so much. They seem to have the same model for men, too, and I should pop by their store to try it on. It's £75 but I am happy to spend given your experience has been good so far. I think it's a seasonal need to begin with, but once I get used to them, maybe I can use them more often seeing how often it rains around here.

Thank you, I will be sure to check out Dr Martens this weekend!

Glad to have helped! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest