The Student Room Group

physics

i am about to list a long list of sentances that dont mean anything to me. sorry if i seem like i dont know anything, its just ive nearly revised my whole sylabus but im now on the last page, which is the page that the teacher didnt get to. so i know/ understand none of it. ive tried searching on the net but no site gives clear brief explanations. any help would b much appreciated.

so, here goes.

nY=dsin(theta)

where y is an upside down y.
what do any of the letters stand for??

De Broglie????

de broglie relationship???

frank-herz experiment (principle only)???

one example of inelastic scattering of sub-nuclear particles leading to discovery of new particle, eg p+p=p+P+pie0.?????

anyone with any ideas??

love Katy ***
Reply 1
What exam board are you using? I do OCR-A and the only one I recognise from that list is DeBroglie. Basically, Prince DeBroglie (pronounced deBroy) researched into the dual nature of particles and waves and came up with the theory of wave-particle duality, or that particles and waves at times, each exhibit both wave like and particle like behaviour. This is shown best by the diffraction (a characteristic of waves) of electrons (particles) through two slits to produce a diffraction pattern on a phosphor screen. This showed that the electrons started as particles, were diffracted through the slits as waves, and struck the screen again as particles. DeBroglie came up with the equation

λ = h/p

where:
λ = particle wavelength
h = Planck Constant (6.63x10^-34 IIRC - check it!)
p = momentum of particle (product of mass and velocity)

Do a google for wave-particle duality or look it up in your revision book - it'll be there. It was on my OCR AS Electrons & Phtons syllabus.

Hope this is of some help!
Reply 2
thanx.

im doing wjec, and we dont even have text books let alone revision books!!!

love Katy ***

Latest

Trending

Trending