The Student Room Group

Greens - why were they out campaigning on Remembrance Sunday?

I was out in Rochester earlier today after campaigning yesterday. As people may know, UKIP and Tories had a truce to leave out campaigning today.

I and others were shocked to see that the Green Party were out campaigning today. Why is it the Greens were out disrespecting not only this truce but one of the most fundamental days in British history?

Regardless of whatever they were pushing, it is a day for memory not for political campaigning.

As put by one of senior Tories:
“The reason they have the right to spout their ridiculous views is because of the sacrifice of our servicemen and women. I don’t think it was too much to ask for them to honour the fallen on one day

http://http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/11/09/Green-Party-Accused-of-Disrespect-Over-Remembrance-Sunday-Protest

Seeing as TSR has a disproportionate Green support base I'm curious whether people approve of this... :dontknow:
Reply 1
I didn't even know today was remembrance day I thought it is on Tuesday
Reply 2
Original post by al_94
I didn't even know today was remembrance day I thought it is on Tuesday

But... it's.... Remembrance Sunday ....
So, why should the Greens have been bound by a pact made between UKIP and the Tories?

Also, by the looks of things they weren't campaigning for the by-election as such, but running an anti-war stall, which I'd argue is in fact very appropriate (though using the party name to do so when there is a by-election soon is admittedly a bit opportunistic).

And as for the quote, bull****. The reason we have rights is because people struggled for and won them here.
Reply 4
because saving the planet isn't something you just do whenever you feel like it
Because their party takes freedom for granted and some of their members deny conflict in all forms, even it is for civilian defence.
Reply 6
The Greens did nothing wrong, there's no rule or law that says that parties cannot campaign on Remembrance Sunday. If you don't like it, then don't vote for them. Simple as that.
Original post by Dez
The Greens did nothing wrong, there's no rule or law that says that parties cannot campaign on Remembrance Sunday. If you don't like it, then don't vote for them. Simple as that.

So it's a bit of an own goal for them?
Reply 8
Original post by MatureStudent36
So it's a bit of an own goal for them?

Could well be. Not being particularly familiar with Rochester's political landscape myself, I don't know if the Greens were ever entertaining the idea that they could actually win the by-election or not. I would guess that their chances aren't spectacular regardless of this protest/campaign thing.
Reply 9
Original post by anarchism101
So, why should the Greens have been bound by a pact made between UKIP and the Tories?

Also, by the looks of things they weren't campaigning for the by-election as such, but running an anti-war stall, which I'd argue is in fact very appropriate (though using the party name to do so when there is a by-election soon is admittedly a bit opportunistic).

And as for the quote, bull****. The reason we have rights is because people struggled for and won them here.

It was a pact made to respect the day, not just to bind those two. It was pretty clear to all the parties that that kinda thing wasn't necessary.
Not to mention Greens have no chance in Rochester anyway, so to be the rude opportunists is even worse.

Anyway - anti-war stall - really necessary on remembrance sunday? For one - it's not about war but about remembering the fallen. They could have worn the White poppies that exist for the very reason of those who are anti-war but have some say... respect or decency? Or the purple poppies for service animals.

Original post by louieee
because saving the planet isn't something you just do whenever you feel like it

Lol. Because running a stall and campainging on remeberance sunday does SO MUCH to save the planet (not. even. close.)

Original post by SmallDuck
Because their party takes freedom for granted and some of their members deny conflict in all forms, even it is for civilian defence.

lol. Quite true.

Original post by Dez

The point wasn't whether it was legal or not - it's why they thought it was necessary or desirable, or decent or respectable? Seems a bit of a low move for a party who hasn't even got a chance to be disrespecting a fundamental day even when as I mention above there are options for those who are anti-war even on Remembrance Day.

Original post by Dez
Could well be. Not being particularly familiar with Rochester's political landscape myself, I don't know if the Greens were ever entertaining the idea that they could actually win the by-election or not. I would guess that their chances aren't spectacular regardless of this protest/campaign thing.

They're on around 1-3%...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Inazuma

Lol. Because running a stall and campainging on remeberance sunday does SO MUCH to save the planet (not. even. close.)

I don't think you understand
Reply 11
Original post by Inazuma
The point wasn't whether it was legal or not - it's why they thought it was necessary or desirable, or decent or respectable? Seems a bit of a low move for a party who hasn't even got a chance to be disrespecting a fundamental day even when as I mention above there are options for those who are anti-war even on Remembrance Day.

So if it's not illegal, and not against the EC campaign rules, what exactly do you want to happen? They've done absolutely nothing wrong, and simply disagreeing with their behaviour is no reason to ban it. If you disagree, that's what the polling station is for.
Reply 12
Original post by Dez
So if it's not illegal, and not against the EC campaign rules, what exactly do you want to happen? They've done absolutely nothing wrong, and simply disagreeing with their behaviour is no reason to ban it. If you disagree, that's what the polling station is for.

Again, why are you talking about legality when that's not my point?
My question was why they think it's suitable or what even is the point when to me, all it demonstrates is complete ignorance of respect and alternative options (i.e. not campaigning that day or at least showing white poppies if anti-war is their motive?)
Reply 13
Original post by Inazuma
Again, why are you talking about legality when that's not my point?
My question was why they think it's suitable or what even is the point when to me, all it demonstrates is complete ignorance of respect and alternative options (i.e. not campaigning that day or at least showing white poppies if anti-war is their motive?)

Well maybe (shock horror) their viewpoint on the war and remembrance and all that differs to yours? Maybe they believe that the right thing to do is in fact different to what you believe? There's no explicit reason that the Greens should observe Remembrance Sunday, they are free to do as they please.
Original post by Dez
Well maybe (shock horror) their viewpoint on the war and remembrance and all that differs to yours? Maybe they believe that the right thing to do is in fact different to what you believe? There's no explicit reason that the Greens should observe Remembrance Sunday, they are free to do as they please.

well said
the tories and ukip might have agreed to cease campaigning for this day, but politics never stops - and the original post on this thread is a prime example of how remembrance day has been hijacked by military, commercial and, as in this case, political interests.

And that quote of the senior tory -
“The reason they have the right to spout their ridiculous views is because of the sacrifice of our servicemen and women. I don’t think it was too much to ask for them to honour the fallen on one day" - claims on the one hand that sacrifice bought us freedom, and then on the other hand says we should shelve that freedom because señor tory deems it appropriate for their (and your!) views to fall into line with his.
Original post by Inazuma
I was out in Rochester earlier today after campaigning yesterday. As people may know, UKIP and Tories had a truce to leave out campaigning today.

I and others were shocked to see that the Green Party were out campaigning today. Why is it the Greens were out disrespecting not only this truce but one of the most fundamental days in British history?

Regardless of whatever they were pushing, it is a day for memory not for political campaigning.

As put by one of senior Tories:
http://http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/11/09/Green-Party-Accused-of-Disrespect-Over-Remembrance-Sunday-Protest

Seeing as TSR has a disproportionate Green support base I'm curious whether people approve of this... :dontknow:

:eek: Yes, agree wholeheartedly with you they are a silly bunch!
I would like to have seen them + any other extremist/ranty political party held back at a far-away distance from any event like this, + unable to divert attention to themselves at all.

Better still, a few 'green' arrests seem fitting in this case. Be nice to see some environmentalist activists dragged off kicking + screaming into Police custody along with any UKIP/EDL types that show up!!! :smile:)

You are right and it is a shockingly criminal act IMO, (maybe they got them on camera for disturbance of the peace) but well done for highlighting it or I wouldn't have known, + it should be a big talking point.

I've never been swayed by the green party or environmentalism, (happy to help oppose them/ukip/edl/bnp etc ANYTIME!) even though I'm still too young to vote!!! You?
Original post by Carol R. Lawson
:eek: Yes, agree wholeheartedly with you they are a silly bunch!
I would like to have seen them + any other extremist/ranty political party held back at a far-away distance from any event like this, + unable to divert attention to themselves at all.

Better still, a few 'green' arrests seem fitting in this case. Be nice to see some environmentalist activists dragged off kicking + screaming into Police custody along with any UKIP/EDL types that show up!!! :smile:)

You are right and it is a shockingly criminal act IMO, (maybe they got them on camera for disturbance of the peace) but well done for highlighting it or I wouldn't have known, + it should be a big talking point.

I've never been swayed by the green party or environmentalism, (happy to help oppose them/ukip/edl/bnp etc ANYTIME!) even though I'm still too young to vote!!! You?

Care to explain what law they broke? I'm intrigued.

Quick Reply

Latest