The Student Room Group

M1 Kinematics 2nd rather interesting question

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/January%202011%20-%20QP/6677_01_que_20110119.pdf
Q2- It's similar to the last ''rather interesting kinematics question'' I posted however you have to solve for u. I cannot :tongue:
You can easily do it using v=u+at however it shouldn't work since this uses the wrong pos/neg sign for acceleration (and it's the 3 mark part)
I've tried so much but to no avail- please help!
I'm feeling doubtful about success on M1/2 :/ Any tips/ advice? I've done the whole kinematics chapter and shouldn't find this hard.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MathMeister
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/January%202011%20-%20QP/6677_01_que_20110119.pdf
Q2- It's similar to the last ''rather interesting kinematics question'' I posted however you have to solve for u. I cannot :tongue:
You can easily do it using v=u+at however it shouldn't work since this uses the wrong pos/neg sign for acceleration (and it's the 3 mark part)

v=u+at

up = +ve

-6.45 = u - 9.8*0.75

u = 7.35 - 6.45 = 0.9

No issue with +/- being wrong

What did your working look like?
That's exactly the same working as mine, can't see where the original poster went wrong tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I've tried so much but to no avail- please help!
I'm feeling doubtful about success on M1/2 :/ Any tips/ advice? I've done the whole kinematics chapter and shouldn't find this hard.

Original post by TenOfThem
v=u+at

up = +ve

-6.45 = u - 9.8*0.75

u = 7.35 - 6.45 = 0.9

No issue with +/- being wrong

What did your working look like?

I think the issue is misunderstanding on how to correctly use the notion of displacement inn this type of question
Original post by TeeEm
I think the issue is misunderstanding on how to correctly use the notion of displacement inn this type of question

:confused::confused:

We did not use displacement

I think the issue is that the OP does not understand the suvat quantities or equations and he does not realise that direction matters
Reply 5

I think the issue is that the OP does not understand the suvat quantities or equations and he does not realise that direction matters

inaccurate language in my part ...

I mean the notion of direction in these quantities, when the direction of motion changes and the motion is considered as a whole.
Agreed, to the OP, the signs used are negative because of the direction of the acceleration and final velocity (down). The original velocity is positive due to it's direction (up)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
inaccurate language in my part ...

I mean the notion of direction in these quantities, when the direction of motion changes and the motion is considered as a whole.

I thought you might mean that :smile:

No no no no no no no no . The ''OP'' does understand lol- it's just that I forgot it. Everybody makes careless mistakes sometimes. Yeah- I didn't use -6.45 I used 6.45- oops.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AltairAlAstorah
Agreed, to the OP, the signs used are negative because of the direction of the acceleration and final velocity (down). The original velocity is positive due to it's direction (up)

Posted from TSR Mobile

We could have used down as positive and got u=-0.9

Then said it was 0.9 as it was up
No no no no no no no no . The ''OP'' does understand lol- it's just that I went full ... when doing it. Everybody makes careless mistakes sometimes. Yeah- I didn't use -6.45 I used 6.45- oops.

Which demonstrates a lack of understanding

If it is not understanding of the actual direction then it is carelessness - which suggests a lack of understanding regarding the importance of direction
(edited 9 years ago)
Which demonstrates a lack of understanding

If it is not understanding of the actual direction then it is carelessness - which suggests a lack of understanding regarding the importance of direction

I know it's importance. I wasn't thinking. It's carelessness and tiredness.

ok

go to bed now

That's what they all say :tongue:
ok
go to bed now

No you? I can do what I darn well want to do on a weekend. I could just retract the last statement and put it down to carelessness. In fact I'm not even tired.
ok
go to bed now

Hypocrite?- Do you even remember what you pm'd me for?
No you? I can do what I darn well want to do on a weekend. I could just retract the last statement and put it down to carelessness. In fact I'm not even tired.

lol

stay upthen

I am off to bed - children to teach toorrow
lol
stay upthen
I am off to bed - children to teach toorrow

Sleep tight :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest