The Student Room Group

How soon can your GP refer you to a mental hospital?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm seeing my gp tomorrow and I want to ask if I can be admitted to a mental hospital, will this be done on the day or is there normally a long waiting list?

Hospital treatment in my case is when ive actually attempted suicide. its a last resort and its a horrible place to be. Community treatment is a better option. Can you elaborate on your problems?
Original post by Tylerd94
There is no reason at all you can't have a love like that you'll find someone special in my heart if hearts I feel like I've truly found the one but if that's not right then fair enough I'll find him or her all I know is that if I got help much sooner we wouldn't be hear and the same goes with if he got help then he wouldn't of snapped at me over the smallest of things like even shouting at him would trigger memories of his father and well everyone shouts now and then so he should get help with that although I very rarely ever will shout I think I only did it once and that was because of literally having no sleep or anything to eat and had to take him to college so really wasn't myself that day but it really affected him and it was only over him talking about a license plate ans I went 'NO IT'S PERSONALIZED! Or something and he totally freaked out on me' i only shouted for a split second and he went ballistic and since then he had shoutes at me in an argument for a good 5 minutes so very hypocritical but it didn't bother me as I've always expected shouting someone will shout at you no matter what in work, college, relationship people get frustrated and they shout so he should get help if he can't handle people shouting our major issue was trust he was cheated on and yet he trusted me morw than I him or atleast showed he did and hid any worries whereas me the kid always let down would constantly think he would at somepoint I'd say things like 'You WILL meet someone else' he would always get so angry when I'd say things like that which he never should have done he should of either reassured me that would never happen or ask why I felt that way. It had nothing to do with him why I felt like that and he shouldn't of felt as though I thought little of him and that he'd ever hurt me because I know the thing's he'd never do to hurt me I felt that way because he was and is so incredible that I couldn't help someone as amazing as him would leave me one day I couldn't accept that he truly loved me that he had chosen me but if he's that amazing then it's something I need to accept and trust rather than push him away thinking 'well he's gonna leave me one day might as well make it today' I'd ask stupid questions and I knew they were stupid but I needed them answered and again he'd get angry rather than try to talk to me.

Nevertheless I'm an adult and I was expecting him to treat me like a child and he didn't want that so rather than treat me like and adult or a child he just treated me like something he couldn't understand or comprehend instead he judged me for every single action I made with space he'll try to understand instead and when we meet again ask anything he is unsure about. I'll have the help I need and show him I'm the person he wants

wow your posts are all so long! im not sure I can read all of that. maybe add some punctuation and separate paragraphs a bit?
Actually most inpatients in a psychiatric hospital are there on a voluntary basis.

When the choice is between going in voluntarily and perhaps being allowed for an hour or two a day and being sectioned and not being allowed out at all and having more restrictive measures put in place then, yes, most people tend to opt to go in voluntarily. If they refuse they doctors just call the police and you get sectioned. Not much of a choice really.
Theres a very real possibility that they may refuse, so be aware of that.

If they do agree to refer you, how long it takes will depend on a variety of factors, including the primary care trust in your area, your (percieved) level of need and beds available. The only way you're going to know the answer to the question is to go and ask.
Reply 144
because there seems to be a lot of ignorance on this topic:

http://www.nhs.uk/CarersDirect/guide/mental-health/Pages/Mentalhealth.aspx

You realise what's written on there isn't true in practice don't you? That most of the online information in regards to the system of mental health is not what actually happens in practice? It's exactly why so many of us are frustrated and feel abused in some cases.

Don't think just because you're in their voluntarily you'll be treated any different to anyone else. You'll be force given meds if you need to take them and there will be repercussions if you refuse.

As other's have pointed out, they can and often do refuse you to leave one you have been sectioned. Why? Because if they release someone who is ill and something happens THEY have to take responsbility and blame.

I'll response to your question later on as i've only had two hours sleep due to a court hearing and am about to go to sleep now. But think about the question because the answer is there already =).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by laeof
You realise what's written on there isn't true in practice don't you? That most of the online information in regards to the system of mental health is not what actually happens in practice? It's exactly why so many of us are frustrated and feel abused in some cases.

Don't think just because you're in their voluntarily you'll be treated any different to anyone else. You'll be force given meds if you need to take them and there will be repercussions if you refuse.

As other's have pointed out, they can and often do refuse you to leave one you have been sectioned. Why? Because if they release someone who is ill and something happens THEY have to take responsbility and blame.

I'll response to your question later on as i've only had two hours sleep due to a court hearing and am about to go to sleep now. But think about the question because the answer is there already =).

I still dont get it. You mean a celebrity? A God? Or what?
[QUOTE="Anonymous;51542051"]wow your posts are all so long! im not sure I can read all of that. maybe add some punctuation and separate paragraphs a bit?[/QUOTE

Haha it was so late I just rambled didn't even realize I posted that much. Sure I'll add grammar to it.

There is no reason at all you can't have a love like that, you'll find someone special. In my heart of hearts I feel like I've truly found the one but if that's not right then fair enough I'll find him or her. All I know is that if I got help much sooner we wouldn't be here and the same goes with if he got help; then he wouldn't of snapped at me over the smallest of things like: even shouting at him would trigger memories of his father and; well everyone shouts now and then so he should get help with that although I very rarely ever will shout.

I think I only did it once and that was because of literally having no sleep or anything to eat and had to take him to college, so really wasn't myself that day, but it really affected him and it was only over him talking about a license plate and I went 'NO IT'S PERSONALIZED! Or something and he totally freaked out on me' i only shouted for a split second and he went ballistic and since then he had shoutes at me in an argument for a good 5 minutes so very hypocritical but it didn't bother me as I've always expected shouting someone will shout at you no matter what in work, college, relationship people get frustrated and they shout so he should get help if he can't handle people shouting

our major issue was trust he was cheated on and yet he trusted me morw than I him or atleast showed he did and hid any worries whereas me the kid always let down would constantly think he would at somepoint I'd say things like 'You WILL meet someone else' he would always get so angry when I'd say things like that which he never should have done he should of either: reassured me that would never happen, or ask why I felt that way. It wasn't his fault I felt like that and he shouldn't of felt as though I thought little of him and that he'd ever hurt me because I know the thing's he'd never do to hurt me I felt that way because he was and is so incredible.

I couldn't help but think someone as amazing as him would leave me one day I couldn't accept that he truly loved me that he had chosen me but if he's that amazing then it's something I need to accept and trust rather than push him away thinking 'well he's gonna leave me one day might as well make it today' I'd ask stupid questions and I knew they were stupid but I needed them answered and again he'd get angry rather than try to talk to me.

Nevertheless I'm an adult and I was expecting him to treat me like a child and he didn't want that so rather than treat me like and adult or a child he just treated me like something he couldn't understand or comprehend instead he judged me for every single action I made with space he'll try to understand instead and when we meet again ask anything he is unsure about. I'll have the help I need and show him I'm the person he wants
[QUOTE="Tylerd94;51544271"]
wow your posts are all so long! im not sure I can read all of that. maybe add some punctuation and separate paragraphs a bit?[/QUOTE

Haha it was so late I just rambled didn't even realize I posted that much. Sure I'll add grammar to it.

There is no reason at all you can't have a love like that, you'll find someone special. In my heart of hearts I feel like I've truly found the one but if that's not right then fair enough I'll find him or her. All I know is that if I got help much sooner we wouldn't be here and the same goes with if he got help; then he wouldn't of snapped at me over the smallest of things like: even shouting at him would trigger memories of his father and; well everyone shouts now and then so he should get help with that although I very rarely ever will shout.

I think I only did it once and that was because of literally having no sleep or anything to eat and had to take him to college, so really wasn't myself that day, but it really affected him and it was only over him talking about a license plate and I went 'NO IT'S PERSONALIZED! Or something and he totally freaked out on me' i only shouted for a split second and he went ballistic and since then he had shoutes at me in an argument for a good 5 minutes so very hypocritical but it didn't bother me as I've always expected shouting someone will shout at you no matter what in work, college, relationship people get frustrated and they shout so he should get help if he can't handle people shouting

our major issue was trust he was cheated on and yet he trusted me morw than I him or atleast showed he did and hid any worries whereas me the kid always let down would constantly think he would at somepoint I'd say things like 'You WILL meet someone else' he would always get so angry when I'd say things like that which he never should have done he should of either: reassured me that would never happen, or ask why I felt that way. It wasn't his fault I felt like that and he shouldn't of felt as though I thought little of him and that he'd ever hurt me because I know the thing's he'd never do to hurt me I felt that way because he was and is so incredible.

I couldn't help but think someone as amazing as him would leave me one day I couldn't accept that he truly loved me that he had chosen me but if he's that amazing then it's something I need to accept and trust rather than push him away thinking 'well he's gonna leave me one day might as well make it today' I'd ask stupid questions and I knew they were stupid but I needed them answered and again he'd get angry rather than try to talk to me.

that's all very well...but our situations are entirely different. in your post you only talk about yourself and I don't see how it bears any relevance to me.
I can only say that the relationship you have with this man doesn't seem very healthy to me.
[QUOTE="Anonymous;51544391"]

that's all very well...but our situations are entirely different. in your post you only talk about yourself and I don't see how it bears any relevance to me.
I can only say that the relationship you have with this man doesn't seem very healthy to me.

Well it waa healthy at times it was the most amazing thing in the world to both of us and then issues showed which wouldn't have if I got help beforehand.

What I'm trying to say is that why do you feel you need help how badlt are things really affecting your life to feel being taken awag from the community would helo
Thanks.

But ive given up hope now. The man I love is engaged to someone else

I don't mean love love as in romantic love, it can be any love, love for a pet, hobby My problem stemmed from my mother has bipolar she didnt love me properly she abandoned me at the age of 12 and I havent seen her since the age of 13, i love my dad but he doesnt understand mental health issues, it seems the scope of my problem was I never felt proper love, when I met my bf and his family I felt loved & understood for the first time ever his mum took me in as her own we are very close, The birth of my daughter also healed me a lot emotionally, I feel an all consuming love for her, & I needed the stable family life, to heal myself emotionally, also coming to terms with my mum abandoning me I still get sad about it but I don't feel an all consuming sadness about it.

It's hard to explain but the road of recovery is really long, you need to find the root cause of your feelings it's not all the same I'm not saying you're problems are identical to mine they aren't but sitting down and thinking where it all stems from can really help, My OCD & Anxiety has really calmed down since getting to the root cause of it, I still need meds and I do have bad periods but i have the ability to cope with those feelings now,
[QUOTE="Tylerd94;51549545"]

Well it waa healthy at times it was the most amazing thing in the world to both of us and then issues showed which wouldn't have if I got help beforehand.

What I'm trying to say is that why do you feel you need help how badlt are things really affecting your life to feel being taken awag from the community would helo

Because every day i suffer from the most intense mental pain and i cant deal with it anymore, im not managing to look after myself at home, abd im in hospital most of the time anyway.
[QUOTE="Tylerd94;51549545"]

I would also ask the same question to you. Are you a drug addict? because you do not just go into rehab because your boyfriend, ex boyfriend for that matter, says so.
[QUOTE="Anonymous;51553145"]

Because every day i suffer from the most intense mental pain and i cant deal with it anymore, im not managing to look after myself at home, abd im in hospital most of the time anyway.

That's really upsetting to hear I'm not in the hospital myself I'm able to get on with daily life pretty well most of the time, sometimes I just get into dark places get all suicidal or think about cutting or doing drink or drugs. It's sad knowing my ex is now drinking often, cutting again and now doing drugs. When I was the one who messed up and needs the help, what happened between us if it was with anyone else they wouldn't of turned to all those things as everything that went on wasn't that serious but it added to all the other issues he had straw broke the camels back so to speak. I don't cut or anything like that because I know he'd hate it if I did and in the long run it wouldn't help anything.

It's why I disagree with anti-depressants some people are made worse by them and especially when they come off it's only a temporary fix I honestly think talking it out or being away would be seriously helpful.
If this is something that has been on your mind for a very long time then I'd say do your best to get a place but if it's just a new thought then see other help you can get before being taken away from society
[QUOTE="Anonymous;51556107"]

I would also ask the same question to you. Are you a drug addict? because you do not just go into rehab because your boyfriend, ex boyfriend for that matter, says so.

There is rehab for people with mental health issues. It's not just for drug addicts. It's a rehabilitation centre they have them for all sorts of things but I suppose in a way I mean a retreat taken away from the outside world to get my head together clearly as I'm fine with everyday life and society on a norm it's just issues with him but I feel it would help me to be taken away from society for a while or have like an at home rehab like with Grayhealthcare
[QUOTE="Tylerd94;51556145"]

That's really upsetting to hear I'm not in the hospital myself I'm able to get on with daily life pretty well most of the time, sometimes I just get into dark places get all suicidal or think about cutting or doing drink or drugs. It's sad knowing my ex is now drinking often, cutting again and now doing drugs. When I was the one who messed up and needs the help, what happened between us if it was with anyone else they wouldn't of turned to all those things as everything that went on wasn't that serious but it added to all the other issues he had straw broke the camels back so to speak. I don't cut or anything like that because I know he'd hate it if I did and in the long run it wouldn't help anything.

It's why I disagree with anti-depressants some people are made worse by them and especially when they come off it's only a temporary fix I honestly think talking it out or being away would be seriously helpful.
If this is something that has been on your mind for a very long time then I'd say do your best to get a place but if it's just a new thought then see other help you can get before being taken away from society

I would say he needs serious help if hes like that.
This is not new. Ive been like this for over a year.
[QUOTE="Tylerd94;51556219"]

There is rehab for people with mental health issues. It's not just for drug addicts. It's a rehabilitation centre they have them for all sorts of things but I suppose in a way I mean a retreat taken away from the outside world to get my head together clearly as I'm fine with everyday life and society on a norm it's just issues with him but I feel it would help me to be taken away from society for a while or have like an at home rehab like with Grayhealthcare

Thats exactly what i want.
Im looking to get referred to the priory hospital.
[QUOTE="Anonymous;51556321"]

I would say he needs serious help if hes like that.
This is not new. Ive been like this for over a year.

He said he sought help in the past but that it didn't do anything for him. However if he can't cope with issues to the point he isn't doing just one thing like most people will: do drugs, or drink, or cut, or start boxing. Something to get their stress out but he is cutting, drinking and doing drugs. I think it's time he admits that he should be getting help either way I'd love him all the same and stand by him and have faith I don't want him causing such damage to himself. He should of looked for more help when still cutting could of just been a bad therapist the first time you've got to believe that you can stop doing certain things.
As a kid I was kinda violent but that all stopped from 13 right up until this short outburst with my ex, it wasn't huge but it was enough for me to seek help and I'm proud of myself for doing that.
[QUOTE="Anonymous;51556407"]

Thats exactly what i want.
Im looking to get referred to the priory hospital.

Yeah that's what I meant by rehab not just for drugs. I have panic attacks, anxiety, OCD etc. I think it would be good to just get away from Society for a bit I don't just need a vacation like I actually need help
Damn, I’ve been in and out of general hospital since I was 12 for severe self harm, suicide attempts, Acute psychotic episodes where I had assaulted a police officer and had to get dragged through A
I don’t know your circumstances well, but I’ve lived in supported accommodation and residential care homes. It sounds as if you could use a benzodiazepine, such as diazepam or lorazepam. Ask your Doctor.

Quick Reply

Latest