The Student Room Group

If you don't get into an RG university, skip university altogether.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gwilym101
What a load of horse****.

For starts Surrey is currently ranked number 6 in the country above the LSE and Warwick. the University of St. Andrews and University of Bath are number 3 and 4 respectively above Imperial, with only Oxford and Cambridge above them.

You can be a good uni and not be RG as evidenced by Surrey, St Andrews and Bath.

Queens University, Belfast is a RG uni is currently ranked 46th in the country. That means there are 22 non-RG unis better than the lowest ranking RG uni. Liverpool another RG is ranked 45th.

I don't get why people get so arrogant about the university they go to, possibly with the exception of oxford, cambridge and imperial which are consistently in the top ten but even then. I went to the University of Hull, when I applied it was ranked in the 30s it is now in the 70s, I've literally just finished a masters at Imperial, I was more impressed by the fact that my course was largely taught in the Natural History Museum than I was that it was an Imperial course.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/02/university-league-tables-2015-the-complete-list

Riiiiight, in the same league table where UEA is above Bristol :rolleyes:
What a load of tripe - An RG uni would be a good choice if you intend to go into research due to the sheer amount they do, but it's far from the Be all and end all - going to Bradford I've got hands on experience with NMR machines, XRDs, HPLCs and SEMs - far better than the "submit your sample and come back in a couple of days" attitude that a lot of Unis I looked at had, and I'd certainly argue that when it comes to finding employment practical experience would be favourable to just having had someone else do it for you.
Original post by TurboCretin
but then politics students whose homes are on London's doorstep would probably be unwise to spend their placement year in Bath.

They would have become experts on the politics of residents' parking schemes.
Certainly nothing less than an RG for an academic subject - that is, the sort of thing a silver-spoon Telegraph journalist would think of as a proper university subject. For a vocational subject, however, the situation is much more fluid, and for a technical one you generally tend to want to be where the equipment is

That's not to say I'm snobbish about the Russell Group per se. Half the Russell Group universities are themselves crashingly mediocre and none are excellent across the board.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gwilym101
What a load of horse****.

For starts Surrey is currently ranked number 6 in the country above the LSE and Warwick. the University of St. Andrews and University of Bath are number 3 and 4 respectively above Imperial, with only Oxford and Cambridge above them.

You can be a good uni and not be RG as evidenced by Surrey, St Andrews and Bath.

Queens University, Belfast is a RG uni is currently ranked 46th in the country. That means there are 22 non-RG unis better than the lowest ranking RG uni. Liverpool another RG is ranked 45th.

I don't get why people get so arrogant about the university they go to, possibly with the exception of oxford, cambridge and imperial which are consistently in the top ten but even then. I went to the University of Hull, when I applied it was ranked in the 30s it is now in the 70s, I've literally just finished a masters at Imperial, I was more impressed by the fact that my course was largely taught in the Natural History Museum than I was that it was an Imperial course.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/02/university-league-tables-2015-the-complete-list

I'm sorry but the Guardian table is utter tripe which puts heavy weightings on poorly quantified feel-good *******s like "student satisfaction". I say this as someone who is both an avid Guardian reader and whose subject regularly placed second in the Guardian league tables above the likes of Oxbridge.
Let's throw it out there. The Tories are promoting class consciousness to widen the wealth and prestige distribution gap by shaming those outside the circle of allegedly elite institutions.

'My best friend went to University of Chester, his opinion is invalid because he is stoopid' herpus derpus
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Let's throw it out there. The Tories are promoting class consciousness to widen the wealth and prestige distribution gap by shaming those outside the circle of allegedly elite institutions.

Any examples?
Original post by Smash Bandicoot

The Tories made polytechnics universities.
Original post by senseixD
Riiiiight, in the same league table where UEA is above Bristol :rolleyes:

Original post by scrotgrot
I'm sorry but the Guardian table is utter tripe which puts heavy weightings on poorly quantified feel-good *******s like "student satisfaction". I say this as someone who is both an avid Guardian reader and whose subject regularly placed second in the Guardian league tables above the likes of Oxbridge.

Okay lets use the league referenced in the article. 2015 rankings there are 12 universities ranked higher than the lowest ranked RG university as Queen Mary is ranked 36.
2014 rankings there are 14 universities ranked higher than the lowest RG uni as Liverpool is ranked 38.
St. Andrews is the highest ranked non-RG uni reaching fourth and sixth place in 2015 and 2014 respectively. That means it was ranked higher than the majority of RG unis both years.

My point is still valid, the article is pure horse**** that has been written by an arrogant little ****.
Reply 49
Lol at everyone not at a RG getting mad. True, he was quite blunt in his article, but the crux of what he's saying is important.

Weak degree < no degree < good degree

You all got angry at him for cherry picking courses, but then proceed to use anecdotal evidence (an exception) to negate what he's saying.

Well done Mr Giles

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by Dylann
Lol at everyone not at a RG getting mad. True, he was quite blunt in his article, but the crux of what he's saying is important.

You all got angry at him for cherry picking courses, but then proceed to use anecdotal evidence (an exception) to negate what he's saying.

Well done Mr Giles

Posted from TSR Mobile

Completely agree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylann

Actually that is not what he is saying. That is what you are, correctly, saying.
Original post by SophieSmall
Oh look Everyone! Someone made a typing error! They must be unintelligent!

TSR used to be well known for SPaG flaming and ad hominem attacks against people just becasue they didn't 100% proof read every response they made on this, the casual, fundamentally unimportant in the grand scheme of things site.

This behaviour is also apparent on that site well known to be populated by ' powerfully built company directors ' pistonheads ( some of these people are the exactly the same socially inadequate, borderline sociopathic, 'libertarian', middle class spoon fed types as dominate certain areas of TSR, just a few years on into their careers as 'Contractors' - i.e. tax dodging deluding themselves they run a business while kow towing to the demands of their single 'client' and dreading the day a letter from HMRC headed 'IR 35 investigation' plops on the mat)

The typing mistake made was also one which would not be picked up by a simple spell check or the rudimentary grammar checking offered by most word processors

Spill checkers are only as good as their dictionary and they can't spot words that are mis-typed and the mis -type is a real word. ( see what I did their ).
(edited 9 years ago)
There are universities not part of RG and still really reputed and respected. Few non RG uni graduates get job faster than RG graduates. I am not even kidding.
How does such a stupid article published? I really am very curious.

I suppose I wouldn't know, though, as I go to a non-RG institution taught by pseudo-doctors.
Original post by Dylann

Well done Mr Giles

Posted from TSR Mobile

the whole premise both on TSR and in this article is based on falsehoods

1. Membership of the Russell Group or any of the other University corrporate circle jerking clubs, has no direct impact on the quality of undergraduate teaching, it may in some cases lead to poor or biased undergraduate teaching as the Professorial grades are there on the basis of their research interests alone.

2. There are world class departments in all sorts of Universities and other HEIs , very few universities are universally excellent across their entire Portfolio.

3. In certain professions RG etc is immaterial it's all about professional accreditation

3a. In a subset of these professions the specifications issued by the professional regulator is so tight the variance between 'best' and worst' is small.

3b. In a further subset of these tightly professionally regulated courses there is even less variation and it's the professional registration that is most important (i.e. all Health Professional pre-reg courses) .
Original post by hellodave5
How does such a stupid article published? I really am very curious.

Mummy or Daddy know someone who works on the Telegraph.

Here is the fascinating account of his gap year travels

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/nepal/10248100/As-long-as-Nepal-is-crippled-by-caste-it-shall-remain-an-economic-untouchable.html
Original post by Kaiju
"Hello friends, my name is Christopher Giles and I don't have a single clue what I'm talking about"

his parents must have been devastated that he did not get into one of the top yoonys.
Reply 58
Original post by SophieSmall
I don't go to an RG university and I'm perfectly happy with my education and my future employability.

Original post by RFowler
What utter rubbish.

The university I am in is one of the best in the country for my course. It has good links to employers and a graduate employment rate well above average.

And it is not a Russell Group university. It didn't even cross my mind when applying.

But funnily enough, I remember reading that exact article and comments section last year.

Original post by TurboCretin
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/10245793/A-level-students-if-you-dont-get-into-a-Russell-Group-university-skip-going-altogether.html

Personally, I'm glad TSR's general attitude toward non-RG universities has segued into the mass media through this incisive and accurate article. But what's your view?

Original post by ItsWhiteHat
There are some amazing non-RG Unis. For example, you're better off going to Bath or St Andrews than some overrated RG Unis.

The title is misleading. If you take the time to read a couple sentences of the actual article linked, it actually says:

"if you aren’t going to a Russell Group university or otherwise respected institution, forget about it altogether."

Title stupidly only says RG unis. Of course there are respected non-RG unis.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Willburrr
Whilst most premium unis are russell group (e.g. Oxbridge, Durham, Imperial, LSE, UCL etc) this does not mean they are exclusively only the best unis. If you look at league tables (although not a good indication of how good a uni is, but is what everyone saying how good RG unis use to prove themselves) there are some really ****ty russell groups aswell (see Kings, Queen Mary, Queens Belfast, Liverpool, Glasgow etc.) who don't hold a candle to the premium non RGs (Bath, Surrey, Loughborough, St Andrews) Being in the RG isnt an indication of how good a uni is/ how valued a degree will be, it indicates how much research the uni does. There are plenty of non RG unis which are better and give more valuable degrees then RG unis.

If you read the article, he also gives 'otherwise respectable institutions' a pass.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending