The Student Room Group

University Rejection 2015

I just got a rejection from Imperial after a horrendous interview. Anyone want to share your experience? Will you apply/try again next year (if you need to)?

Scroll to see replies

what subject? where else did u apply?
Reply 2
That's really unfortunate I'm sorry to hear. I believed that the interview was near irrelevant, I'm nervous about how mine went now... Which subject was this? Don't worry about the rejections people have to change plans all the time. A friend is having to take a gap year due to illness but he could've gotten 4A* easily otherwise.
Just got a rejection from Reading because my predicted grades were just slightly behind (ABC for an ABB course). Really annoyed.
Reply 4
Mine was Geoscience. I had a really difficult time struggling with the interview because of the poor signal, and also I was not familiar with the accent of the interviewer. I think I deserved to get rejected because what I said did not really match what I wrote in the essay. My mind seriously went blank and I just panicked when I could not remember what I prepared..... The interview started well, but just after 2 questions, I flunked it and blabbered on and on with nonsensical stuff. In the end, the interviewer told me: I don't think this course is suitable for you. It was a very nice way to say: "I am sorry, you suck and forget about getting an offer from us with your poor interview performance". And then well, I got rejected. The end. :wink:
i jus got rejected from middlesex, gf me.
Original post by Kabulkid
i jus got rejected from middlesex, gf me.
rekt
I've been rejected from three of my five choices so far. I'm an international applicant. I don't have the traditional qualifications for my country and it is turning out to be a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Coffeetime
I've been rejected from three of my five choices so far. I'm an international applicant. I don't have the traditional qualifications for my country and it is turning out to be a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:frown: I am international too, but from asia. I thought they acknowledge AP and SAT? :s-smilie: Don't worry, there are still 2 choices left! Just a personal question btw, why don't you apply to US universities instead? Or do you plan to apply for the Regular Decision deadline?
Original post by thuyanh96
:frown: I am international too, but from asia. I thought they acknowledge AP and SAT? :s-smilie: Don't worry, there are still 2 choices left! Just a personal question btw, why don't you apply to US universities instead? Or do you plan to apply for the Regular Decision deadline?

I don't have AP's. I'm a mature student and my high school didn't even offer them when I was there. I don't want to stay in the US and my course (ancient history) isn't really a thing here.
Reply 10
I don't have AP's. I'm a mature student and my high school didn't even offer them when I was there. I don't want to stay in the US and my course (ancient history) isn't really a thing here.

That's really sad.... I am not saying to give up totally on the UK system, but I think you should also plan to apply to uni in the US, since you are so passionate about the subject. I am younger, more idealistic and probably less experienced than you, but if I really want to study in university, environment would not deter me from applying/studying there as knowledge is the only thing matters to me. US uni are famous for odd subject combinations and the liberty, so it is surprising that you can't find any uni among thousands of them that provides the course you want. :frown: If you apply to US uni, I think you will definitely have a chance of getting a place, given that you express yourself in your common app essay.

Another thing is financial assistance. UK uni does not provide much financial aid, which is the complete opposition to the US. This is especially important to me because the charge for international student is incredibly high in the UK, and my parents cannot afford to pay. I consider taking a loan unless it is really worth it...
That's really sad.... I am not saying to give up totally on the UK system, but I think you should also plan to apply to uni in the US, since you are so passionate about the subject. I am younger, more idealistic and probably less experienced than you, but if I really want to study in university, environment would not deter me from applying/studying there as knowledge is the only thing matters to me. US uni are famous for odd subject combinations and the liberty, so it is surprising that you can't find any uni among thousands of them that provides the course you want. :frown: If you apply to US uni, I think you will definitely have a chance of getting a place, given that you express yourself in your common app essay.

Another thing is financial assistance. UK uni does not provide much financial aid, which is the complete opposition to the US. This is especially important to me because the charge for international student is incredibly high in the UK, and my parents cannot afford to pay. I consider taking a loan unless it is really worth it...

I have no intentions of going to university here. I'm sure I could find places to apply to, but it's more of a case of not wanting to. I'm looking for alternatives to get into a UK uni, but I'm having difficulties. I'd rather be in debt but have a degree I love as opposed to staying here and doing something just to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by selenerrr__x
Could I ask what your AS grades were and your predicted? I'm also applying for Imperial and am so scared to be rejected :/

Hi there :smile: I am taking the Singapore "A" Level (which is kinda more difficult than the British system I was told). I could not see my predicted grade (it is one of the weird policies here) but I am guessing AAAB (B for Economics). We don't have A* like the British system.

I think it depends on the course, your PS and your interview performance. I think my application was decent enough to get me interviewed, but not good enough to grant me a place in Imperial. :biggrin:
Reply 13
I have no intentions of going to university here. I'm sure I could find places to apply to, but it's more of a case of not wanting to. I'm looking for alternatives to get into a UK uni, but I'm having difficulties. I'd rather be in debt but have a degree I love as opposed to staying here and doing something just to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess I am still ambivalent about what I want to do next in life so I am not prepared to get into debt and bear the cost of my choice yet. ><

I am looking at some universities in Canada, like UBC and Toronto. I don't know if you like Canadian ones since they bear a resemblance to US uni.
I guess I am still ambivalent about what I want to do next in life so I am not prepared to get into debt and bear the cost of my choice yet. ><

I am looking at some universities in Canada, like UBC and Toronto. I don't know if you like Canadian ones since they bear a resemblance to US uni.

We all have different plans. I'd rather avoid any university similar to American ones. I really love the UK uni system and I love the UK in general.

Where else have you applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by selenerrr__x
Would you say AS grades ACC (CC biochem, A maths) and predicted A*AA with a strong personal statement and mediocre reference that I would be considered decent enough for an interview? Applying for sciences.

I am not a representative from a legitimate source, so I cannot really tell you whether this will grant you a place in Imperial College. However, based on the academic requirements from their website, you can definitely stand a chance of getting in. Instead of spending time thinking about whether they would give you an interview offer, I think it is better to prepare yourself by reading a lot of stuff about the school and memorise your PS inside out, if you haven't really done so (like me....).
Reply 16
We all have different plans. I'd rather avoid any university similar to American ones. I really love the UK uni system and I love the UK in general.

Where else have you applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied to Imperial, Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Durham and Oxford for Earth Science/Geophysics. Got only one offer from Edinburgh (AAA).
I applied to Imperial, Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Durham and Oxford for Earth Science/Geophysics. Got only one offer from Edinburgh (AAA).

That's great! Edinburgh looks fantastic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
imperial have a very low acceptance rate about 16% as do oxford 20%. Durham and St Andrews also difficult to get into. Why on earth did you put all these unis down. Thankfully you have an offer from Edinburgh so whatever happens with the others wont greatly affect you
Reply 19
Original post by swanseajack1
imperial have a very low acceptance rate about 16% as do oxford 20%. Durham and St Andrews also difficult to get into. Why on earth did you put all these unis down. Thankfully you have an offer from Edinburgh so whatever happens with the others wont greatly affect you

I chose St Andrews and Edinburgh because their cost of living are cheaper according to some online sources. I chose Durham and Imperial because I was advised so by my senior. Idk why Oxford - probably because of my impulsive mind...
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending