The Student Room Group

Successful Cambridge application

Hello everyone,
I am a student in sixth form, I am in the first year, currently studying for mathematics(As and A2), economics, computer science and physics. This year I will be completing the full 2 year course of math, and in the next year I will be completing the further math A level and maybe drop computer science.
I really want to enter Cambridge to study math. I know that the application is done in October in your second year so As levels are important in this. What I don't know is:
Should I continue doing 3 As and an As and A2 level(Math) in this year, while expecting to get an A-in-Math, A-in Physics and B-in Computer and B-in-Economics or should I complete the Math A level course expecting an A, also look forward to an A in Physics and an A in Economics. Which of these would be a better option for a successful application in Oxbridge?
Thank you for your time
Reply 1
Original post by Arbi
Hello everyone,
I am a student in sixth form, I am in the first year, currently studying for mathematics(As and A2), economics, computer science and physics. This year I will be completing the full 2 year course of math, and in the next year I will be completing the further math A level and maybe drop computer science.
I really want to enter Cambridge to study math. I know that the application is done in October in your second year so As levels are important in this. What I don't know is:
Should I continue doing 3 As and an As and A2 level(Math) in this year, while expecting to get an A-in-Math, A-in Physics and B-in Computer and B-in-Economics or should I complete the Math A level course expecting an A, also look forward to an A in Physics and an A in Economics. Which of these would be a better option for a successful application in Oxbridge?
Thank you for your time

When you say "expecting an A" are you talking about AS grades? You'll need A*A*A as a minimum at A level for the Maths course :smile:
Original post by davros
When you say "expecting an A" are you talking about AS grades? You'll need A*A*A as a minimum at A level for the Maths course :smile:

No I am only talking about AS levels here, I am sure I will have 3 A* so second year is not my worry. All I want is to be accepted in October with my AS levels grades and my predicted grades.
Reply 3
Original post by Arbi
No I am only talking about AS levels here, I am sure I will have 3 A* so second year is not my worry. All I want is to be accepted in October with my AS levels grades and my predicted grades.

So you need to achieve a very good UMS in your AS (& A2 if taking any early). At least 90+ to have a chance of an interview for Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Arbi

Almost all the competition has straight As at AS and is predicted 2-4A* at A2. For Maths if you get an offer it is the STEP exam which determines if you get in. At least a quarter of those given a Maths offer fail at STEP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending