The Student Room Group

TSR PhotoSoc (and post your gear thread)

Being a general gadget nerd it always interests me to see what tech other people use whenever I get a new techy hobby, so I thought it would be interesting to see what the photographers of TSR use, whether that's a DSLR and lens large enough to qualify as a deadly weapon or simply the camera on the back of your phone!

Here's what I use;

Camera: My main camera is my Canon 100D DSLR, which is a great little performer considering how tiny it is. I also have a Ricoh GR, a compact camera with a DSLR-sized sensor, for using as a pocket camera when I don't want to lug my camera bag about, which I really love.

Lenses: I use three lenses; a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ultra wide lens for landscapes, a Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 image stabilised lens for when I need long range, but my most used lens is a Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, which combines a versatile zoom range for a walkaround lens with a wide aperture for getting shallow depth of field when needed. It weighs a ton but it's awesome!

Accessories: I use a Peak Design Leash camera strap, I like switching between using and removing my strap often so having a quick-release one is majorly useful. Apart from that I carry a few staple DSLR accessories like a lens cleaner, remote shutter release and a couple of filters and lens hoods.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So how often do you zoom the wrong way on that Tokina then? :tongue:

Camera:
Canon 7D (also have a Sony A200, but I don't use it anymore and just never get around to selling it).

Lenses:
Canon 24-105mm F4L IS,
Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS II,
Canon 2x TC III,
Tokina 12-24mm F4 IS II (looking to upgrade this as its rather soft even only halfway out from the middle).

Accessories:
Crumpler Muffin Top 5440 bag (contains everything except the 70-200 which is just too big)
A reasonable Hoya Pro Polarising filter,
B&W UV filter (on the 70-200mm for weather proofing and protecting the front element),
Memory cards, spare batteries, remote release, cleaning clothes brushes blowers etc,
SunSniper strap which screws into the tripod foot. I also have an OpTec USA one but since the stitching failed I haven't really got any confidence in them, despite it clearly being a manufacturing defect, besides which the SunSniper strap has a metal cord running right around it to help prevent anyone slicing the strap to steal the camera.
Giottos tripod
Manfrotto monopod
Reply 2
I'm pretty sure a 'What's in your bag' thread wouldn't be complete without the actual bag :biggrin:

Alright, here's mine:

Bag: Currently a Crumpler messenger bag that's become way too small, so I'm going to upgrade to an f-stop Loka backpack soon.

Camera + lenses

Pentax K3, a Pentax Kr as a back-up

DA L 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 WR (kit lens)
DA 35 f/2.4
SMC-A 50 f/1.7

Many plans for upgrades, never enough funds - sucks pursuing an expensive hobby like photography on a student budget :biggrin: Next purchase will most likely be the upcoming DA HD 16-85 DC WR as a more versatile upgrade to my kit with better quality, then some time in the future a tele (DA HD 55-300 WR) and Sigma 35 f/1.4 ART.

Accessories: Lens hoods for all the lenses, memory cards, a Marumi CPL, Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod with 804 RC2 head.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Heard it's quite useful and the optical quality is superb, but the AF seems to be abysmal - what are your experiences?
Reply 4
Original post by Sir Fox
I'm pretty sure a 'What's in your bag' thread wouldn't be complete without the actual bag :biggrin:

Alright, here's mine:

Bag:Currently a Crumpler messenger bag that's become way too small, so I'm going to upgrade to an f-stop Loka UL backpack soon.

Camera + lenses

Pentax K3

DA L 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 WR (kit lens)
DA 35 f/2.4
SMC-A 50 f/1.7

Many plans for upgrades, never enough funds - sucks pursuing an expensive hobby like photography on a student budget :biggrin: Next purchase will most likely be the upcoming DA HD 16-85 DC WR as a more versatile upgrade to my kit with better quality, then some time in the future a tele (DA HD 55-300 WR) and Sigma 35 f/1.4 ART.

Accessories: Lens hoods for all the lenses, memory cards, a Marumi CPL, Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod with 804 RC2 head.

I didn't realise people actually bought Pentax, despite the rather good reviews they get. How do you find it?

I'm scouring ebay weekly to find a larger crumpler messenger style bag. The quality is just so good I don't want to buy anything else.

Photography is expensive even in full time employment! And that's without even looking at a laptop for editing :frown: Mind you it is cheaper in the States, or just about anywhere other than the UK. The new Canon 24mm pancake is £179 here, which is $286. B&H list it at $149. That's almost twice the difference! Haven't found it available as grey import yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by dhr90
I didn't realise people actually bought Pentax, despite the rather good reviews they get. How do you find it?

Love it. I'm on the committee of my university's photography society and get the chance to try out quite a few different cameras from other members. Somehow they all feel plasticy and cheap compared to my Pentax, even the semi-pro ones. Build quality (and weather sealing) is definitely a big strength of Pentax, IQ is great too. It's a shame hardly anyone knows about Pentax considering the K3 won a ton of awards and is considered to be among the best APS-C DSLRs on the market.

What Pentax still lacks behind in is video and lenses that have fast enough AF to live up to their latest cameras' AF.C capabilities. I would not currently recommend Pentax to anyone who is serious about action photography, that's something Canon and Nikon are definitely better at.

But it suits my shooting style. I've lived in a couple of countries with rather adverse climatic conditions (ranging from super humid to dry and sandy) and here in Scotland weather sealing is definitely useful too :biggrin:

I'm scouring ebay weekly to find a larger crumpler messenger style bag. The quality is just so good I don't want to buy anything else.

There are quite a few manufacturers of good bags out there. Apparently the Thinktank Retrospective series is very good, but pricey too. I like my Crumpler, but I bought it for a bridge camera and it hardly fits half of my gear now, and as I'm about to get into highlands on a weekly basis soon, messenger bags won't quite cut it for me :biggrin:

Photography is expensive even in full time employment! And that's without even looking at a laptop for editing :frown: Mind you it is cheaper in the States, or just about anywhere other than the UK. The new Canon 24mm pancake is £179 here, which is $286. B&H list it at $149. That's almost twice the difference! Haven't found it available as grey import yet.

I think it depends on what kind of photographer you are. I hang out in online photography forums a lot and there are people who already have 20+ fine lenses but are still drooling over that one next expensive lens that will finally give them the image quality they want. For these kinds of people photography will always be pretty expensive, even on a decent salary.

Personally, I'm aiming for a five lens set-up. One ultra wide-angle for landscapes, architecture and the night sky, a standard zoom, a tele zoom for wildlife, a fast 35 mm prime for street and reportage and a fast 50 mm prime for pretty much the same plus portraits.

I think that on a decent salary it wouldn't take very long to acquire five quality lenses and slowly update the line-up and camera every couple of years.

In regard to UK prices, yes, they are ridiculous - but try Australia :biggrin: I buy my gear in my native Germany where prices are slightly below the UK.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by dhr90
So how often do you zoom the wrong way on that Tokina then? :tongue:

Not often, if anything it's my Canon that rotates the wrong way as the 18-35 is also that way :ahee:

Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS II

Jealous :coma:

Original post by Sir Fox
Heard it's quite useful and the optical quality is superb, but the AF seems to be abysmal - what are your experiences?

No complaints about autofocus speed/accuracy from me so far, although so far the majority of stuff I've shot with it has been relatively static, so can't speak for its performance in more testing environments!

Original post by Sir Fox

Very good point! I use a generic camera bag from Amazon. As much as I want a Billingham I'd kick myself not to invest that money elsewhere (20% of the way to a 70D that I could get through mum's work or a £140 Billingham :moon:), but the bag I've got meets my criteria of being decent looking, not too enormous, sturdy, and fits all of my stuff in with room to spare now I've shaved down my lens collection! I also have a small bag that the strap comes off, which I use as an insert for my standard messenger bag for being discreet which can hold my 100D and 18-35, and finally a Manfrotto one which, well, came free with my 18-35 and I haven't got around to sellign :ahee:

Many plans for upgrades, never enough funds - sucks pursuing an expensive hobby like photography on a student budget :biggrin:

The eternal struggle for any techy hobby :erm: I'm hoping to eliminate my upgrade fever for a while next month though, using my wages from a very busy december and any Christmas money to get a 70D :teeth:
Reply 7
Why not save a bit longer and get a 7D Mk II? :biggrin:
Original post by Sir Fox

Saving "a bit longer" would be doubling the budget :ahee: and I think the 70D gets me 95% of what I want in an upgrade, plus a couple of other bits the 7D doesn't have like an articulating touchscreen and not being quite as enormous! As lovely as a spanking new 7D mk II would be, I don't think the improvements warrant the extra cash that I could basically buy a reserve 70D body with, should I ever need two cameras :P

EDIT: Ooh John Lewis are getting on board with Black Friday, where my family gets staff discount, the week after payday. 70D here I come :teeth:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Valid point.

... the extra cash that I could basically buy a reserve 70D body with, should I ever need two cameras :P

I bet you'll go FF before you get two identical bodies :wink:

Btw, considering this sub-forum is pretty dead except for the occasional post in the 'Show your best photograph' thread or someone asking for gear advice, can we make this the photography chat thread? :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Camera: Canon 1100D, I'd love to upgrade but don't have the cash :sad:

Lenses: Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ultra wide (which I saw Gofre using in person so then had to buy...damn him)
Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 a.k.a. my stalker lens!
Canon 50mm f/1.8 which I mainly use if I'm doing street photography or wanting to take non posed photos at a party etc.
Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 the kit lens that came with the camera.

Accessories: Cleaning stuff, a **** ton of filters (ND grads, ND in a range of darknesses), remote shutter, intervalometer, tripod (okay so that doesn't fit in the bag but felt should be included).
Original post by greeneyedgirl
... a **** ton of filters (ND grads, ND in a range of darknesses), remote shutter, intervalometer, tripod (okay so that doesn't fit in the bag but felt should be included).

So I guess you're into landscapes?
Reply 12
Original post by Sir Fox
There are quite a few manufacturers of good bags out there. Apparently the Thinktank Retrospective series is very good, but pricey too. I like my Crumpler, but I bought it for a bridge camera and it hardly fits half of my gear now, and as I'm about to get into highlands on a weekly basis soon, messenger bags won't quite cut it for me :biggrin:

I think it depends on what kind of photographer you are. I hang out in online photography forums a lot and there are people who already have 20+ fine lenses but are still drooling over that one next expensive lens that will finally give them the image quality they want. For these kinds of people photography will always be pretty expensive, even on a decent salary.

Personally, I'm aiming for a five lens set-up. One ultra wide-angle for landscapes, architecture and the night sky, a standard zoom, a tele zoom for wildlife, a fast 35 mm prime for street and reportage and a fast 50 mm prime for pretty much the same plus portraits.

I think that on a decent salary it wouldn't take very long to acquire five quality lenses and slowly update the line-up and camera every couple of years.

In regard to UK prices, yes, they are ridiculous - but try Australia :biggrin: I buy my gear in my native Germany where prices are slightly below the UK.

I know there are plenty of good bags. But price is the issue. Plus the Crumpler ones don't look like camera bags, are waterproof and the ones I'm looking at have a clip and velco fastening which is a good bit of extra security in my opinion. I only want it for the general and wide angle zooms and some extra accessories. Can barely close my bag now. If I have the 70-200 I'll use my hiking rucksack to spread the weight.

Original post by Sir Fox

Thats very true. I can't help but be one of those people drooling over that next lens either online or in the shop window...

I'm looking at a 3-5 lens setup myself:
High quality ultra wide for landscapes/night etc (My Tokina needs upgrading, ideally I'd have the Canon 16-35mm F4L IS on a 5DIII for this requirement).
General zoom (sorted with the 24-105mmL).
Telephoto (again, already covered with the 70-200mm and TC. A 300mm/500mm prime would be nice, but the cost is just too much).
And maybe a fast prime, 24 f2.8 or similar with a 100mm macro as well.

Ha, fair enough. I always get it wrong every time without fail :frown:

Jealous :coma:

It really is a true gem of a lens! The f4 version I tried had almost identical image quality for much less weight. But was a stop slower, which counts for a lot when shooting at a tree lined overcast race track.

Original post by Sir Fox

Do want!!

Original post by Sir Fox

Btw, considering this sub-forum is pretty dead except for the occasional post in the 'Show your best photograph' thread or someone asking for gear advice, can we make this the photography chat thread? :biggrin:

I'd be all over a 5DIII or 1Dx if I could afford it. Currently a 5DIII and 7DII would be the perfect fit for me :daydreaming:

That is a good idea. Be good to have somewhere else to chat about it. Canonrumours gets a bit too technical and pixel peeping for my liking sometimes...

Any recommendations for ND grads? Would like to try some long exposure river/wave shots sometime...
Original post by Sir Fox
So I guess you're into landscapes?

Right in one :yep:

Original post by dhr90
Any recommendations for ND grads? Would like to try some long exposure river/wave shots sometime...

Only just really started using them tbh, I just got a cheap set of Amazon so I can try them out and see which ones I use the most and with which lenses before I go and buy expensive ones.
Original post by dhr90
It really is a true gem of a lens! The f4 version I tried had almost identical image quality for much less weight. But was a stop slower, which counts for a lot when shooting at a tree lined overcast race track.

Yeah I've played with the 70-200 f4 a few times and it is lovely, but I think I'd miss the extra reach and IS of the 55-250, and given that my tele is my least used lens I couldn't justify spending the amount the IS models cost over the other gear I want. Although if someone were to hand me their telephoto L lens that they no longer wanted I'm sure I'd find a use for it :ahee:

Original post by Sir Fox

Probably, although neither is likely! Very much an enthusiastic amateur at the moment so no need for full frame or backup bodies yet :yep:

Not a bad idea :smile:

[QUOTE="greeneyedgirl;51582399"]
Lenses: Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ultra wide (which I saw Gofre using in person so then had to buy...damn him)

Sorry :ahee:
Original post by dhr90
Plus the Crumpler ones don't look like camera bags ...

That was the biggest reason for me to get one too - lived in a developing country for some time and your gear is much safer in a bag that no one expects to contain expensive stuff.

Any recommendations for ND grads? Would like to try some long exposure river/wave shots sometime ...

The Cokin system is quite highly regarded - their top-of-the-line series (Z Pro) is currently on sale on Amazon for half the RRP.

I guess the majority of FF purchases nowadays are by enthusiasts - the Canon 6D is a nice example of how 'affordable' FF got.

Not a bad idea :smile:

I see you've already changed the title :colone:
Reply 16
With a camera/lens combo that has a decent resolution and really good sharpness you can just crop afterwards. I got that coming from a dirt cheap Sony 75-300mm and thought I'd miss the extra 100mm, I didn't. It is so sharp I can just crop away. although I did buy the 2x TC, you could fit the 1.4x for 280mm at 5.6 and still have a better lens I expect.

The bigger issue is with the 2x TC my setup does become a bit front heavy. AF hunts a bit at 400mm too, but I can live with that if it means not changing lenses. The TC fits into a pocket nicely :smile:

Original post by Sir Fox
That was the biggest reason for me to get one too - lived in a developing country for some time and your gear is much safer in a bag that no one expects to contain expensive stuff.

The Cokin system is quite highly regarded - their top-of-the-line series (Z Pro) is currently on sale on Amazon for half the RRP.

I guess the majority of FF purchases nowadays are by enthusiasts - the Canon 6D is a nice example of how 'affordable' FF got.

I've found the Velcro is so good it'd be impossible to not hear or notice someone fiddling with your bag hence my continuing hunt for a larger model.

Thanks. Will look at that over the weekend :smile:
Argh - have been reading Sigma 35 f/1.4 'Art' reviews for the past hour and can't decide whether to get that one for mind-boggling image quality and sharpness or the 16-85 for rough outdoor action in the highlands. Damn you internet, damn you! Good thing I've got a lot of time to decide because I don't have the money anyway :colone:
Reply 18
Original post by Sir Fox
Argh - have been reading Sigma 35 f/1.4 'Art' reviews for the past hour and can't decide whether to get that one for mind-boggling image quality and sharpness or the 16-85 for rough outdoor action in the highlands. Damn you internet, damn you! Good thing I've got a lot of time to decide because I don't have the money anyway :colone:

Both. Always both :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Such camera. Much nice. So lens.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending