Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

*MEGATHREAD* - The 'What Subjects Should I Do' Megathread

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unless you wish to apply to one or two colleges in Cambridge, physics will not help you at all.
    I personally recommend you do your latter combo of bio, chem, french, spanish.... UCL and KCL in particular will LOVE this and if you enjoy it, you will find it a lot more worthwhile. At the end of the day you only need Bio and Chem - the other one/two subjects can be anything you wish (so long as they're no crit think/gen studies or along those lines)
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    and you don't need maths at all :p:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fission_Mailed's sig pretty much sums it up, he posted on one of my threads: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1543642
    Read his sig
    • 60 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avlstudent)
    My dream option would be:
    Biology
    Chemistry
    French
    Spanish
    but is that too hopeful?
    Live the dream....you'll be fine
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking:

Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    English Lit
    Maths

and and additional two AS levels (that I'm doing atm) in Fine Art and French.

And don't worry; Maths IS NOT a requirement.

I just like it
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maths is helpful, but not necessary.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    well you don't have to take maths at all, I can't really be bothered arguing these threads anymore though.....

what school 'says' and what is actually required are two very different things. I'm sure if I had followed my schools so called advice I would have got four rejections without interview.
    So what A-levels did you take?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone!
    I feel happier, and am tempted to (as Democracy said) "live the dream"!

thanks again!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elenii)
    Yes that's perfect. Ideally it seems that for AS you should take Biology-Chemistry-Maths (maths is advised at least at our school for medicine) and an essay subject so you're all set.
    It isn't "ideal" to do maths, or an essay subject.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Those are fine.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jashdown)
    I'm planning on taking; Chemistry
    Biology
    and Geography
    at A2 and Maths at AS

Would these be good to get into medical school, I don't really want to do Physics or Maths at A2.
    u're subjects are fine good luck with everything
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well yes of course it is not required but often highly recommended. top unis ask for a 'three of the following' sort of thing and then list biology, chemistry (required), maths and physics. physics is usually the least required.

not that i'm planning on doing medicine, ever.

but really I don't have that problem. the school i go to has the oldest, most experienced careers advising system in cyprus. it's very well-equipped and the advice is generally the best you can get here.
    No, no they don't. Not in the UK.

OP: your subjects are absolutely fine.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's perfect. Ideally it seems that for AS you should take Biology-Chemistry-Maths (maths is advised at least at our school for medicine) and an essay subject so you're all set.
    Your school is wrong, live with it.

not that i'm planning on doing medicine, ever.
    Then be quiet and don't advise people - I wouldn't go advising an engineering applicant, or any other for that matter.

Well yes of course it is not required but often highly recommended.
    By who?

top unis ask for a 'three of the following' sort of thing and then list biology, chemistry (required), maths and physics. physics is usually the least required.

but really I don't have that problem. the school i go to has the oldest, most experienced careers advising system in cyprus. it's very well-equipped and the advice is generally the best you can get here.
    You forgot "most outdated".

If that's the best advice you can get, then you should be very disappointed.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avlstudent)
    Hello!

I'm really starting to freak out because I am going to sixth form this September and I need to officially decide what A-Levels I want to do.
    I want to go to Uni to study Medicine and I'm getting worried about the "you need Maths A-Level to do Medicine" phrase that people keep telling me. Is it true?!?!

At the moment, my options are:
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    French

I love sciences and languages (especially French [and Spanish!]) and I thought that this choice would mix things up a bit. I am only slightly forcing myself into doing Physics because of the "mathsy" element in the subject, but do I really need that? I do enjoy it though, and I think I would like it at A-Level.

My dream option would be:
    Biology
    Chemistry
    French
    Spanish
    but is that too hopeful?

Sorry if there has been a similar question to this or if it is in the wrong section, but I couldn't find anything recent or that similar.

Thanks in advance
    Your subject combination is fine for medicine, Good luck with your exams.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jashdown)
    So what A-levels did you take?
    Bio, Chem, Geography at A2, History at AS.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm in year 11, my final year of high school and its coming down to choosing my A levels.

I want to study medicine and i am set on taking Chemistry and Biology at A level, as i am good at these subjects and predicted high grades.

I was just wondering about the other A levels, I can pick a maximum of 4.

What do you guys/gals recommend, or have taken and gotten into med school or currently applying?

Another thing...
    I have been offered to do BTEC Sports Science, which is worth 3 A levels altogether, I am good at BTEC Sport as i have achieved Distinction* at GCSE, which is worth 4 A*'s at GCSE. I am just wondering if it would count for my medical school application if i did choose to pick it??? Any help?

I am worried that taking something like Maths/Physics will not get me the grades I desire because i do not excel in those subjects as much as i do the rest? :///

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!!!
    • 93 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do english. I'd like my doctor to be all sciency and know his **** - but also appreciate the subtlety of Wordsworth and analyse Tolstoy. nahh seriously. You want to show you excel in more than just the usual thing so it can't be a bad thing to do one relatively challenging artsy type subject and it will probably help you articulate and communicate better anyway.

Sorry for not helping you at all. Why not pick something that interests ypi? Ok, i'm no good - i'll leave :/
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do english. I'd like my doctor to be all sciency and know his **** - but also appreciate the subtlety of Wordsworth and analyse Tolstoy. nahh seriously. You want to show you excel in more than just the usual thing so it can't be a bad thing to do one relatively challenging artsy type subject and it will probably help you articulate and communicate better anyway.

Sorry for not helping you at all. Why not pick something that interests ypi? Ok, i'm no good - i'll leave :/
    actually no, that helped more than you can understand, thanks
    I would really like to do something Im confident in, instead of something i think i might get not as good grades in, it would take the stress off sooooo much haha.

I'm good at Sports Science, but yeah, i dont know if taking it at A level as a BTEC will count? :L
    and I like Art too, predicted an A in that but again, i dont know if it will count for anything.
    PAHHHHH
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lsaul95)
    Hi, i'm in year 11, my final year of high school and its coming down to choosing my A levels.

I want to study medicine and i am set on taking Chemistry and Biology at A level, as i am good at these subjects and predicted high grades.

I was just wondering about the other A levels, I can pick a maximum of 4.

What do you guys/gals recommend, or have taken and gotten into med school or currently applying?

Another thing...
    I have been offered to do BTEC Sports Science, which is worth 3 A levels altogether, I am good at BTEC Sport as i have achieved Distinction* at GCSE, which is worth 4 A*'s at GCSE. I am just wondering if it would count for my medical school application if i did choose to pick it??? Any help?

I am worried that taking something like Maths/Physics will not get me the grades I desire because i do not excel in those subjects as much as i do the rest? :///

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!!!
    hey i'm applying for medicine i did pyscholgy and maths as long as u have chemistry and biology the rest doesn't really matter. some people i know did law, business. if u want to do sports u should good luck
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd say go for Maths, Chemistry and Biology as definite choices. Then the fourth is pretty much up to you. Physics has a module on medical imaging in the last unit, so while it's not immensely relevant to medicine, it does cover it somewhat. I'm sure Psychology could help, but I don't take it so can't give you a good idea.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 13, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.