The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Those are fine.
Original post by Jashdown
I'm planning on taking; Chemistry
Biology
and Geography
at A2 and Maths at AS

Would these be good to get into medical school, I don't really want to do Physics or Maths at A2.

u're subjects are fine good luck with everything :smile:
Original post by elenii
Well yes of course it is not required but often highly recommended. top unis ask for a 'three of the following' sort of thing and then list biology, chemistry (required), maths and physics. physics is usually the least required.

not that i'm planning on doing medicine, ever.

but really I don't have that problem. the school i go to has the oldest, most experienced careers advising system in cyprus. it's very well-equipped and the advice is generally the best you can get here.

No, no they don't. Not in the UK.

OP: your subjects are absolutely fine.
Original post by elenii
Yes that's perfect. Ideally it seems that for AS you should take Biology-Chemistry-Maths (maths is advised at least at our school for medicine) and an essay subject so you're all set.

Your school is wrong, live with it.

not that i'm planning on doing medicine, ever.

Then be quiet and don't advise people - I wouldn't go advising an engineering applicant, or any other for that matter.

Original post by elenii
Well yes of course it is not required but often highly recommended.

By who?

top unis ask for a 'three of the following' sort of thing and then list biology, chemistry (required), maths and physics. physics is usually the least required.

but really I don't have that problem. the school i go to has the oldest, most experienced careers advising system in cyprus. it's very well-equipped and the advice is generally the best you can get here.

You forgot "most outdated".

If that's the best advice you can get, then you should be very disappointed.
Original post by avlstudent
Hello!

I'm really starting to freak out because I am going to sixth form this September and I need to officially decide what A-Levels I want to do.
I want to go to Uni to study Medicine and I'm getting worried about the "you need Maths A-Level to do Medicine" phrase that people keep telling me. Is it true?!?!

At the moment, my options are:
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
French

I love sciences and languages (especially French [and Spanish!]) and I thought that this choice would mix things up a bit. I am only slightly forcing myself into doing Physics because of the "mathsy" element in the subject, but do I really need that? I do enjoy it though, and I think I would like it at A-Level.

My dream option would be:
Biology
Chemistry
French
Spanish
but is that too hopeful?

Sorry if there has been a similar question to this or if it is in the wrong section, but I couldn't find anything recent or that similar.

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Your subject combination is fine for medicine, Good luck with your exams.
Reply 2105
Original post by Jashdown
So what A-levels did you take?

Bio, Chem, Geography at A2, History at AS.
Hi, i'm in year 11, my final year of high school and its coming down to choosing my A levels.

I want to study medicine and i am set on taking Chemistry and Biology at A level, as i am good at these subjects and predicted high grades.

I was just wondering about the other A levels, I can pick a maximum of 4.

What do you guys/gals recommend, or have taken and gotten into med school or currently applying?

Another thing...
I have been offered to do BTEC Sports Science, which is worth 3 A levels altogether, I am good at BTEC Sport as i have achieved Distinction* at GCSE, which is worth 4 A*'s at GCSE. I am just wondering if it would count for my medical school application if i did choose to pick it??? Any help?

I am worried that taking something like Maths/Physics will not get me the grades I desire because i do not excel in those subjects as much as i do the rest? :///

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!!!
Do english. I'd like my doctor to be all sciency and know his **** - but also appreciate the subtlety of Wordsworth and analyse Tolstoy. nahh seriously. You want to show you excel in more than just the usual thing so it can't be a bad thing to do one relatively challenging artsy type subject and it will probably help you articulate and communicate better anyway.

Sorry for not helping you at all. Why not pick something that interests ypi? Ok, i'm no good - i'll leave :/
Do english. I'd like my doctor to be all sciency and know his **** - but also appreciate the subtlety of Wordsworth and analyse Tolstoy. nahh seriously. You want to show you excel in more than just the usual thing so it can't be a bad thing to do one relatively challenging artsy type subject and it will probably help you articulate and communicate better anyway.

Sorry for not helping you at all. Why not pick something that interests ypi? Ok, i'm no good - i'll leave :/

actually no, that helped more than you can understand, thanks :smile:
I would really like to do something Im confident in, instead of something i think i might get not as good grades in, it would take the stress off sooooo much haha.

I'm good at Sports Science, but yeah, i dont know if taking it at A level as a BTEC will count? :L
and I like Art too, predicted an A in that but again, i dont know if it will count for anything.
PAHHHHH :frown:
Original post by lsaul95
Hi, i'm in year 11, my final year of high school and its coming down to choosing my A levels.

I want to study medicine and i am set on taking Chemistry and Biology at A level, as i am good at these subjects and predicted high grades.

What do you guys/gals recommend, or have taken and gotten into med school or currently applying?

Another thing...
I have been offered to do BTEC Sports Science, which is worth 3 A levels altogether, I am good at BTEC Sport as i have achieved Distinction* at GCSE, which is worth 4 A*'s at GCSE. I am just wondering if it would count for my medical school application if i did choose to pick it??? Any help?

I am worried that taking something like Maths/Physics will not get me the grades I desire because i do not excel in those subjects as much as i do the rest? :///

hey i'm applying for medicine i did pyscholgy and maths as long as u have chemistry and biology the rest doesn't really matter. some people i know did law, business. if u want to do sports u should good luck :biggrin:
I'd say go for Maths, Chemistry and Biology as definite choices. Then the fourth is pretty much up to you. Physics has a module on medical imaging in the last unit, so while it's not immensely relevant to medicine, it does cover it somewhat. I'm sure Psychology could help, but I don't take it so can't give you a good idea.
Hi,

I want to apply to medical school after my A levels, however I am currently pondering what to take.

I can pick up to 4 and I would really like to choose:

- Chemistry
- Biology
- Sports Science BTEC (Counts for 2 spaces)

so that is all 4 taken up.

You might think, that's it, sorted then... However, I do not know if Sports Science BTEC will count as my third A level for my application to medical school?
My teachers say BTEC Sport at A level is worth 3 A levels, due to the independent studying unit which is done at home.
I want to pick this as i think i can do really well at it, I have already achieved Distinction* at GCSE level, which is 4 A*'s at GCSE level.

I would really like some information on this, as i have to pick my A level choices soon! :/

so basically, will BTEC Sport count on my medical school application form, or should i change my A level choice?

Thanks
Reply 2112
I've replied to this like a million times. Stop posting the exact same thing in hundreds of threads!
hey i'm applying for medicine i did pyscholgy and maths as long as u have chemistry and biology the rest doesn't really matter. some people i know did law, business. if u want to do sports u should good luck

thank you so much, that has really eased my stress a lot, im getting really confused with different people telling me different things, having an answer like that from someone who is applying for medicine is really helpful :biggrin: Thank you, and all the best for medicine in the future!!!!!! I hope you do well and get into the place you want.

I'd say go for Maths, Chemistry and Biology as definite choices. Then the fourth is pretty much up to you. Physics has a module on medical imaging in the last unit, so while it's not immensely relevant to medicine, it does cover it somewhat. I'm sure Psychology could help, but I don't take it so can't give you a good idea.

Hi, thanks for your view, however this is my problem...
I'm only allowed to pick a maximum of 4, im definitely taking Biology and Chemistry, and i want to take Sport BTEC, but that takes up the last 2 spaces as its apparently worth 3 A levels. I would take maths but I do not have an extra space, and if i substitute Sport BTEC for Maths, I am worried in case I do not get the grades I desire at A level because I do not excel in Maths as I do in Sport. Thank you.
Original post by lsaul95

Another thing...

Urmm, I did bio, chem, maths and geogg :smile: do you mean the btec thing instead of your alevels? that would be very silly....
Urmm, I did bio, chem, maths and geogg do you mean the btec thing instead of your alevels? that would be very silly....

hmmmm, see, thats what I mean, If i picked Bio, Chem and Sports BTEC would I only have 2 A levels and a BTEC? :////

because apparently Sports BTEC is worth 3 A levels, would it count as my last A level option or not? :/
Reply 2116
Original post by lsaul95
would it count as my last A level option or not? :/

No.
Original post by lsaul95
hmmmm, see, thats what I mean, If i picked Bio, Chem and Sports BTEC would I only have 2 A levels and a BTEC? :////

because apparently Sports BTEC is worth 3 A levels, would it count as my last A level option or not? :/

Don't do a BTEC. Do A Levels.
I've replied to this like a million times. Stop posting the exact same thing in hundreds of threads!

And I appreciate it, however as you should well know, getting as many pieces of knowledge on the subject as possible is far better than relying on one. I am very thankful for your insight however I would like a little bit more insight off other people as to what they have taken and recommend so i am more reassured.
Reply 2119
Original post by lsaul95
And I appreciate it, however as you should well know, getting as many pieces of knowledge on the subject as possible is far better than relying on one. I am very thankful for your insight however I would like a little bit more insight off other people as to what they have taken and recommend so i am more reassured.

Doesn't mean you have to post the same thing into every thread you come across! There's 2 posts made by you in the main forum alone. Just wait for people to reply.

Latest

Trending

Trending