The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nearly everyone I have spoken to says that physics is their hardest a level, so I'd say pick english. But of course only you can really know what is best for you to do, not anyone here.
I guess English does make you appear more rounded... but Physics is good. English Lit, Lang or combined?
It's English Lit. My school doesn't offer Lang, but we still do some Lang work:smile:

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll probably pick English anyway, but still keep up with Physics:smile: I'll ask my teacher for the A-Level text book anyway :smile:
Doesn't make a difference.

Do the one you are best at or enjoy the most.
hey guys, i want do mecine in these uni. : imperial, kings c/l, UCL and cambridge, but what option of a-levels will be better:
option 1:
- Chemistry (A-level)
- Biology (A-level)
- Physics (A-level)
- Maths (A-level)

or

option 2:
- Chemistry (A-level)
- Biology (A-level)
- Maths (A-level)
- Geography

I enjoy both geography an physics, but is it better to do physics, because it will improve my scientific knowledge and help me more in uni?
Does not matter in the slightest. Do which one you think you will enjoy more and are more likely to score highly in.
Which would be more beneficial to both getting into medical school and doing medicine at uni, physics or psychology?

I'm definitely doing Chemistry Biology and Physics :smile:
Reply 2147
Original post by nicolaangel
Which would be more beneficial to both getting into medical school and doing medicine at uni, physics or psychology?

You're definitely doing physics but are choosing between physics and psychology? Have you made a typo?

The answer either way probably is: either, whichever one you reckon you'll get a higher mark in. :smile:
Original post by nicolaangel

It's strange... I've used concepts imposed by psychology more than I have from AS physics plus A-level chemistry combined.

Overall though, take on the one you feel you'd do better in and/or enjoy the most (despite the use of psychology, I despised it and did little work for it and very nearly missed out on my place).
hi!!:smile:
I'm 16 and currently doing my GCSE's and i'm really muddled at the moment as to what A- levels to do. I want to study medicine at university and i've been told mixed things by different people about what a levels are best to do if you want to apply for medicine. Some people have told me it's best to do Chemsitry, Biology, Physics and Maths but others say that universitys prefere people to chose a wider range of subjects to show that you are a well rounded person. I am definitly doing chemistry and biology and maybe maths(depending on how the rest of the year pans out and whether i still enjoy it after the exam!) But I am unsure about physics, as I am not too keen on some of the units-like electricity and i'm not sure if i will find it boring and an over kill of the same kind of subjects:smile:

I do understand that every university is different in what they ask for but i suppose what i would like to ask any medical students; Is physics actually helpful in medicine?
Also, how useful is maths and is it really hard at A level?- because I am predicted an a* at gcse but i don't know whether i will really stuggle at a level- is it a really big jump?

If anyone can tell me what a levels they have chosen in order to study medicine and how they have helped them, that would be great!
sorry for waffling! thanks :biggrin:
Look up universities or email them about what subjects they prefer and then make an informed judgement :smile: I think generally chem and biology are required
Original post by amandakelly
hi!!:smile:
I'm 16 and currently doing my GCSE's and i'm really muddled at the moment as to what A- levels to do. I want to study medicine at university and i've been told mixed things by different people about what a levels are best to do if you want to apply for medicine. Some people have told me it's best to do Chemsitry, Biology, Physics and Maths but others say that universitys prefere people to chose a wider range of subjects to show that you are a well rounded person. I am definitly doing chemistry and biology and maybe maths(depending on how the rest of the year pans out and whether i still enjoy it after the exam!) But I am unsure about physics, as I am not too keen on some of the units-like electricity and i'm not sure if i will find it boring and an over kill of the same kind of subjects:smile:

I do understand that every university is different in what they ask for but i suppose what i would like to ask any medical students; Is physics actually helpful in medicine?
Also, how useful is maths and is it really hard at A level?- because I am predicted an a* at gcse but i don't know whether i will really stuggle at a level- is it a really big jump?

If anyone can tell me what a levels they have chosen in order to study medicine and how they have helped them, that would be great!
sorry for waffling! thanks :biggrin:

Physics could help a bit probably, but that's no reason to do it tbh, you can always learn the relevant stuff later.

Once you have Biology and Chemistry, it doesn't really matter what you do.

I found maths to be pretty easy.
Reply 2152
I am so far signed up to do:
Chem, Bio, Maths and Spanish
However, thinking about it, I can't stand Maths and would probably do better in something else. My alternatives are - Classical Civilization or Psychology. All to A2.
I'm predicted mostly A*s at GCSE so hopefully will do ok at A level.
I'm not interested in going to Cambridge or London Unis.
Is chem&bio + 1 art/social science + 1 language common? Does anyone know people who've got in on combos like this?
So it would be:
Chemistry, Biology, Spanish, Classical Civilization
OR
Chemistry, Biology, Spanish, Psychology
Thanks!
:smile:
Original post by gemmabug
I am so far signed up to do:
Chem, Bio, Maths and Spanish
However, thinking about it, I can't stand Maths and would probably do better in something else. My alternatives are - Classical Civilization or Psychology. All to A2.
I'm predicted mostly A*s at GCSE so hopefully will do ok at A level.
I'm not interested in going to Cambridge or London Unis.
Is chem&bio + 1 art/social science + 1 language common? Does anyone know people who've got in on combos like this?
So it would be:
Chemistry, Biology, Spanish, Classical Civilization
OR
Chemistry, Biology, Spanish, Psychology
Thanks!
:smile:

Either of those combinations would be OK.
Reply 2154
I am started off doing the subjec in my sig, but I then changed to Economics instead of History. I think I am going to change back though because I enjoy it more.

how did people here find A level maths with stats?
Im currently taking AS Biology, Chemistry, History and Psychology.

Im going to drop a subject and its a choice between history and psychology. If i kept psychology would it limit my chances of getting into a uni since its considered a less academic? Or should i keep history?

Any advice would be really appreciated thanks :smile:
I don't think it matters, but if it was me I would keep history.

I know people who did psych as their 3rd and got into med school
Hi,

I have applied to college to do: Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths. These are my prefered subjects, and I enjoy them. However, until recently I was always under the impression that these were the best subjects to take, in terms of giving me a good chance of a sucessful application to Medical school.

Now, I hear that subjects like English Lit, Art, History, Drama and Geography are sometimes regarded as better combinations with Chemistry and Biology (or Maths)

I am quite distressed by this, as I don't want to take subjects that spoil my chances of becoming a doctor, because I really love the idea of saving lifes and improving peples quality of life even if you can't always save them. A lot of people do it just for the money, but they way i see it, Medicine doesn't pay relatively well compared to Finance or Law - so I am not in it for the money.

Also, on Manchester universities website, it says: "Subjects required: Chemistry plus one from Biology, Human Biology, Physics or Mathematics, plus one further subject (not Critical Thinking or General Studies)."

So, it says "Plus one further subject" Does this mean that I can't do all 3 sciences and Maths without another subject and apply to the University of Manchester?

Thanks for any help, advice and/or reassurance :smile:
Media Studies
General Studies
Critical Thinking
Original post by G550NDH
Media Studies
General Studies
Critical Thinking

Lol, thanks (!)

Latest

Trending

Trending