The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2160
I think it's just badly worded and what you're doing is fine, but do call to confirm :smile:
Reply 2161
Your combination is fine. Only UCL states they prefer one contrasting subject.

lekky and beska will neg me for this :tongue:
Original post by lekky
I think it's just badly worded and what you're doing is fine, but do call to confirm :smile:

Thanks, thats a good Idea, I will do that. :smile:
Original post by oli_G

Haha, thanks! So only UCL.. I am planning on avoiding UCL anyway :smile:
Reply 2164
Your subjects are fine. :smile: Some uni's, such as UCL say candidates with a "contrasting subject" will be favoured, but the majority don't mind as long as you have chemistry (and biology).
For Manchester I think it means you need one or more of those choices, so yes your choices would be acceptable. :smile:
Original post by oli_G

Peninsula
Chemistry and either Biology or Physics at A2. One non-science preferred.

Is Maths a non science?

and this from HYMS; welcome might mean they don't discriminate against them, or they prefer them

Welcome applicants who have a breadth of interest. All other subjects considered of equal merit as third A2.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2167
Original post by ChessMister
Peninsula

Is Maths a non science?

Nope. It's a science.
So how many Uni's do not favour a contrasting subject? :smile:
Reply 2169
Original post by ERdoctor
So how many Uni's do not favour a contrasting subject? :smile:

The vast majority of them! :smile:
Unless you want to study a subject like History or English Lit. with Chemistry, Biology and Maths then you should look at potential medical schools that you might apply for, as students applying with two sciences/maths may have a lower success rate than ones with three sciences/maths with some universities like Cambridge (they normally spell it out on the 'course requirements' section).
You've stated that you do enjoy the three sciences and maths, plus it seems like the safer option if going into medicine so I'd say stick with your original choices.
Good luck with whatever you choose :smile:
Reply 2171
I'm sure a Further Maths A level for Medicine would be very appealing to Universities. Perhaps even more appealing than physics. (Don't quote me on it though).
Reply 2172
Original post by Spungo
I'm sure a Further Maths A level for Medicine would be very appealing to Universities. Perhaps even more appealing than physics. (Don't quote me on it though).

Quite the opposite. The majority disregard it all together.
Original post by Beska
The vast majority of them! :smile:

Thanks Beska :smile:

I was going to do further maths, In case I decided to do Physics at uni. I want to do medicine, but physics was always in the corner of my mind. Having looked at all of the entry requirements for medicine, most seem to view Maths with Further maths as only one subject. Therefore, I am just doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths and hoping to god that I don't get rejected for medicine!
Original post by Spungo

dont do further maths as most of them dont count it as 2 a levels
Reply 2175

Haha, thanks! So only UCL.. I am planning on avoiding UCL anyway :smile:

I'm doing the same btw :tongue: (Another hopeful medic)
Reply 2176
Original post by Beska
Quite the opposite. The majority disregard it all together.

That's surprising.
So, to confirm, is Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths okay?
So, to confirm, is Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths okay?

Yes, that's fine.

Only UCL and Peninsula state they like a contrasting subject, and even then, it's unlikely to make or break your application. And it's also only 2 medical schools. You should do the subjects you enjoy, and from your original post that sounds like the 3 sciences and maths. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ChessMister
Peninsula

Is Maths a non science?

and this from HYMS; welcome might mean they don't discriminate against them, or they prefer them

Welcome applicants who have a breadth of interest. All other subjects considered of equal merit as third A2.

"welcome" would suggest to me that they just don't discriminate against them