Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

*MEGATHREAD* - The 'What Subjects Should I Do' Megathread

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How is applied health and social care A-Level seen by Universities? One of my friends keeps telling me it's hugely favoured (particularly by medical schools) but I have this gut feeling that it isn't, and that it's the A-Level choice of those who don't know what career they want and aren't looking at a career in medicine..

Thanks x
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellokitty112)
    How is applied health and social care A-Level seen by Universities? One of my friends keeps telling me it's hugely favoured (particularly by medical schools) but I have this gut feeling that it isn't, and that it's the A-Level choice of those who don't know what career they want and aren't looking at a career in medicine..

Thanks x
    As long as you have Bio + Chem, your 3rd A level subject wouldn't matter. Applied heath and social care is not hugely favoured from what I know. As long as your A2 predictions meet with university requirements, you can take Fine Arts for your 3rd A level and the universities will not mind. (Speaking in general terms here as some universities will prefer you to have 3 science related A levels)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    As long as you have Bio + Chem, your 3rd A level subject wouldn't matter. Applied heath and social care is not hugely favoured from what I know. As long as your A2 predictions meet with university requirements, you can take Fine Arts for your 3rd A level and the universities will not mind. (Speaking in general terms here as some universities will prefer you to have 3 science related A levels)
    Thank you
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just thought id say seeing as psychology has been described as a 'soft subject' that i applied to foundation medicine this year with Biology, Psychology and Art and they're hardly the most ideal subjects but i did it and i got 2 offers at manchester and sheffield, so it can deffo be done whatever your circumstances just get awesome grades and a brill personal statement with lots of work experience and volunteering
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really just want to do Biology and Chemistry with two arts subjects (Philosophy, History or English Lit) - But have been strongly advised against this.

So now I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Philosophy.

Anyone currently taking physics AS or has taken physics AS (I'm planning to drop it after AS) got any general advice?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellokitty112)
    I'm in Year 10 at the moment, and am thinking about a career in medicine since I am extremely interested in all aspects of medicine that I have come into contact with at the moment. I was thinking of taking biology, chemistry and phycology in college, but I'm not too sure about the 4th subject. One of my friends is trying to talk me into doing Applied Health and Social Care with her, but I'm not too sure... Although it probably would be interesting I think I've heard that it isn't really favoured by universities, in which case I would prefer not to take the subject.. Does anybody know if this is true?

Thanks!
    You've still got plenty of time but don't do applied health and social care as it is not seen as academically rigorous wait until you get your results and then decide on the fourth (thats what I'm doing)
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you need physics for your A-Levels if u want to do Medicine?? :rolleyes:

(P.S. What are the ideal subjects to pick?)
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by park1996)
    Do you need physics for your A-Levels if u want to do Medicine?? :rolleyes:

(P.S. What are the ideal subjects to pick?)
    Nope, not at all.

What you need is chemistry. The majority of universities require biology as well.
    I'm applying for medicine and I'm currently at AS doing chemistry, biology, english literature, geography, french. Btw you don't need 5 subjects (I speak french, if not i would have only taken four) Most people take four - Three is the minimum.
    Many people say you need maths too. This is NOT true. The reason I did not do maths was because I only got a B at GCSE, and I'm also doing five subjects to compensate for that. But I know a few hopeful medics who did NOT choose maths, and got an A* at GCSE. Which proves that it isn't necessary.

Choose whatever you love doing (they love languages, history, a few other humanities - but NOT drama, art, etc.) along with the essentials (biology and chem). Choose physics if you want to. But it's best if you don't do it if you think you won't do well in it, because it's not needed.

I hope my advice helped. Good luck for the future!
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    You need to take 4 at AS, 3 at A-level.

You must take chemistry, you should take biology also, otherwise you'll be restricted to a few schools you can apply to. Then you can take any other academic subjects.

The important thing is, pick subjects you enjoy enough/are strong enough in to get As, which you'll need to meet offers.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    My definite subjects are: Chemistry, Biology and RS...which out of Maths or Physics, should I pick as my fourth subject?
    Thanks
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileAway)
    My definite subjects are: Chemistry, Biology and RS...which out of Maths or Physics, should I pick as my fourth subject?
    Thanks
    Whichever you are more likely to get a higher grade in.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    I would recommend Maths as it's easier to do as a standalone subject, whereas many people doing Physics will also have Maths, as Maths greatly eases the difficulty of Physics. That said, if you're liable to do better in Physics than Maths then by all means choose Physics; both are very respectable subjects and when applying for Medicine you want to get as high grades as possible.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am very, very bad at maths and did fine in physics A2 (without maths at all at A-Level), so it can be done if you prefer the content of physics.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myyrh)
    Whichever you are more likely to get a higher grade in.
    Well, I am equally good in both; (predicted a* for gcse) I just enjoy physics more. I thought that universities may like maths as its a more generalised subject?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am equally good in both; (predicted a* for gcse) I just enjoy physics more. I thought that universities may like maths as its a more generalised subject?
    Nope both treated equally Just go with Physics if you're good at it and enjoy it more.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    im doing maths further maths chem and bio, those are good choices right? :3
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help ^_^ I feel a bit more encouraged to just go with physics now.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oyyoyy)
    im doing maths further maths chem and bio, those are good choices right? :3
    The thing with further maths is medical schools won't take it as a separate subject at A2 level, not too sure about AS though but just knowing their bias at A2 would discourage me from picking it. Best thing is to check with the unis on that one.

Thanks for your help ^_^ I feel a bit more encouraged to just go with physics now.
    No worries :cool:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    kk i dunno what to do now i like maths so thats why i wanted to take further maths, but it seems that imperial accepts further maths as separate, but not sure about oxbridge, anyone wanna enlighten me?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    bump

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 15, 2014
New on TSR

A-level mocks revision

Chat about your study tips

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.