Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

*MEGATHREAD* - The 'What Subjects Should I Do' Megathread

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileAway)
    My definite subjects are: Chemistry, Biology and RS...which out of Maths or Physics, should I pick as my fourth subject?
    Thanks
    Whichever you are more likely to get a higher grade in.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    My definite subjects are: Chemistry, Biology and RS...which out of Maths or Physics, should I pick as my fourth subject?
    Thanks
    I would recommend Maths as it's easier to do as a standalone subject, whereas many people doing Physics will also have Maths, as Maths greatly eases the difficulty of Physics. That said, if you're liable to do better in Physics than Maths then by all means choose Physics; both are very respectable subjects and when applying for Medicine you want to get as high grades as possible.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am very, very bad at maths and did fine in physics A2 (without maths at all at A-Level), so it can be done if you prefer the content of physics.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myyrh)
    Whichever you are more likely to get a higher grade in.
    Well, I am equally good in both; (predicted a* for gcse) I just enjoy physics more. I thought that universities may like maths as its a more generalised subject?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am equally good in both; (predicted a* for gcse) I just enjoy physics more. I thought that universities may like maths as its a more generalised subject?
    Nope both treated equally Just go with Physics if you're good at it and enjoy it more.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    im doing maths further maths chem and bio, those are good choices right? :3
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help ^_^ I feel a bit more encouraged to just go with physics now.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oyyoyy)
    im doing maths further maths chem and bio, those are good choices right? :3
    The thing with further maths is medical schools won't take it as a separate subject at A2 level, not too sure about AS though but just knowing their bias at A2 would discourage me from picking it. Best thing is to check with the unis on that one.

Thanks for your help ^_^ I feel a bit more encouraged to just go with physics now.
    No worries :cool:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    kk i dunno what to do now i like maths so thats why i wanted to take further maths, but it seems that imperial accepts further maths as separate, but not sure about oxbridge, anyone wanna enlighten me?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    bump
    Ask the university.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    kk i dunno what to do now i like maths so thats why i wanted to take further maths, but it seems that imperial accepts further maths as separate, but not sure about oxbridge, anyone wanna enlighten me?
    I only know that Cambridge like 3 science/maths subjects, and one of them must be chemistry.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't find a statement from Cambridge as a whole about further maths, but some of the colleges (St. Catherine's and Churchill) put it in their "preferred" list.

As a whole, Cambridge say that "we require chemistry to A2 as well as 2 of (physics, biology, maths (sometimes further maths)) to A2 level."

If you are going to take further maths, make sure you're also taking maths + chemistry + Biology, otherwise that could limit your choices for other medical schools.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Im doing biology, chemistry, maths
    But not sure whether to do physics or psychology!!
    Will drop it at AS and I'm expecting an A in physics but its my weakest science- I like it but I'm not especially good at it, psychology seems interesting but it might be too much workload...
    also, theres not much variety with three sciences and maths- psychology will add some variety..
    Any advice?...
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Didierr)
    Im doing biology, chemistry, maths
    But not sure whether to do physics or psychology!!
    Will drop it at AS and I'm expecting an A in physics but its my weakest science- I like it but I'm not especially good at it, psychology seems interesting but it might be too much workload...
    also, theres not much variety with three sciences and maths- psychology will add some variety..
    Any advice?...

Take which ever you are more likely to get a higher grade in. Psychology is still a science so it's not really going to add that much variety.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    yea so i emailed their admissions office, and they said that maths, f maths, bio and chem would be looked at as 4 separate a levels- all is good!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I'm in year eleven and I need to pick my A Level options. I know that I want to do medicine at university and I think then go on to be a GP. I am definitely going to do Biology and Chemistry to the full A Level, they're my favourite subjects and I'm predicted A* at GCSE so that's all fine and lovely.

The problem is I don't know what to do for the other two options. I keep changing my mind but the options are French, Psychology and Maths. I've already got my Maths GCSE at A* and have finished my French and almost certain to get an A* in that too. I have also been studying for OCRs FSMQ but don't think I'm gonna do as well as I would have hoped. I like French and I liked GCSE Maths, I've never done Psychology before but I've sat in on a couple of lessons and it looks really interesting and I think I would enjoy it.

So the question is, what should I take? Are some options better than others? Am I missing something? Please help!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    1. Do what subjects you enjoy not what will lead you to a career you think you might enjoy.
    2. Use the search function and google.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, some of my friends have a place for medicine and I know maths is usually popular as an option, but saying that my friend does English as one of her 3 a levels and another did Spanish to AS level. The most important is bio and chem. Maths does help slightly but dont take it unless you enjoy it
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    1. don't presume that you'll be fine just because you got A* at GCSE or are predicted it. Many students end up gettings Ds and lower at AS as they just can't grasp the subject any more and find it a big step up- depends on you and your ability really. If you're good at learning stuff Bio should be ok if you put the hours in. Therefore, don't presume you'll do Bio and Chem to full A-level, what if you got a U in Chem (just saying worse case scenerio but im sure you wont if you work)
    2. Do what you'll enjoy. As long as you have Bio and Chem you'll be fine. Ask current students about the subject, have a look at textbooks, past papers etc
    3. Don't be to sure of becoming a GP, many people change their mind at med school. I'm in sixth form and was set on Dermatology, but work experience made me realise how many other interesting fields there are
    4. Best of luck

any idea where you might apply? < i know its early days, and you're likely to change your mind many times.

UCL like a language at A-level ( but they only encourage it , if you enjoy and can do well in it) Peninsula like a humanity ( if you know you can do well)
    Cambridge (like Maths or physics)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 13, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.