The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hullo there,

I'm in the middle of my GCSE exams now, and am reconsidering my A-level options. I'm pretty much set on choosing Chemistry, Biology, and Psychology and taking them through to A2, but I'm having trouble deciding on my fourth subject.

Currently I am trying to choose between Maths with Statistics and English Language and Literature; I am predicted highly for both subjects at GCSE, and although I prefer English and am aware that I don't need Maths for medical school, I wonder if an AS in Maths can really help and complement my science subjects?

Also, does anyone here know of anyone who got into medical school with Chemistry, Biology, and Psychology?

Thank you!
Reply 3181
Original post by -Tealeaf-
Hullo there,

I'm in the middle of my GCSE exams now, and am reconsidering my A-level options. I'm pretty much set on choosing Chemistry, Biology, and Psychology and taking them through to A2, but I'm having trouble deciding on my fourth subject.

Currently I am trying to choose between Maths with Statistics and English Language and Literature; I am predicted highly for both subjects at GCSE, and although I prefer English and am aware that I don't need Maths for medical school, I wonder if an AS in Maths can really help and complement my science subjects?

Also, does anyone here know of anyone who got into medical school with Chemistry, Biology, and Psychology?

Thank you!

If you prefer English I would probably say go with that. If you were taking Physics then Maths may come in handy but it may only slightly help when it comes to A2 chemistry calculations and even that is doable with limited maths experience. Plenty of people get in with Psychology as their 3rd A level. Universities aren't fussed as long as you have the required subject and required grades.
Reply 3182
currently in year 11 and I am thinking of picking Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and ict for my AS level and then drop either Psychology or ict.

I didn't choose maths because i don't think i can get an A in it

would gcse maths be sufficient as i have achieved an A* in edxecel maths

would those A level choices be okay
Reply 3183
Original post by lopez8
currently in year 11 and I am thinking of picking Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and ict for my AS level and then drop either Psychology or ict.

I didn't choose maths because i don't think i can get an A in it

would gcse maths be sufficient as i have achieved an A* in edxecel maths

would those A level choices be okay

A* in maths at GCSE is sufficient and your A levels are fine.
Reply 3184
I’ve just finished my first year of college and I've taken AS levels in politics/history/literature/drama I’ve not really known what I want to do as a career or study at uni (politics... or a political career is what I have been thinking about but I’m not completely sure) but recently I’ve been thinking about going into medicine- I’ve always had such admiration for doctors or anyone in the medical profession, as a person I’m not very sciencey but I am very interested in it and would genuinely like to learn about it.

So if I was ~thinking~ about medicine realistically what would I have to do, I assume I would have to re-take my first year at college and study biology and chemistry?

However could I take these as two intensives next year (I can be a very hard worker if I want to be!) and get in then. Would I need maths?

For my GCSEs I got a BB in science and C in maths (A/A* in everything else) but I did do IGCSEs which are considered much harder?

It might be very farfetched and I don't like the idea that I might have just wasted my entire first year of college but I am considering it... Just need some advice
You'd need biology and chemistry but not Maths. Some universities have an issue with taking more than 2 years to complete your A levels, so it would be best to call some of them up just to be sure of their policies.
Original post by coconut2456
You'd need biology and chemistry but not Maths. Some universities have an issue with taking more than 2 years to complete your A levels, so it would be best to call some of them up just to be sure of their policies.

Wrong. The only A Level you *need* is Chemistry. Some Universities want both, and it's undoubtedly a good idea to have Biology (I'm a year in and neither A Level has been particularly useful since you have to go back to the start and learn it all again in much greater detail - A Level is way too simplified) but you do not need it to apply to every Medical school.
Original post by APW1995
I’ve just finished my first year of college and I've taken AS levels in politics/history/literature/drama I’ve not really known what I want to do as a career or study at uni (politics... or a political career is what I have been thinking about but I’m not completely sure) but recently I’ve been thinking about going into medicine- I’ve always had such admiration for doctors or anyone in the medical profession, as a person I’m not very sciencey but I am very interested in it and would genuinely like to learn about it.

So if I was ~thinking~ about medicine realistically what would I have to do, I assume I would have to re-take my first year at college and study biology and chemistry?

However could I take these as two intensives next year (I can be a very hard worker if I want to be!) and get in then. Would I need maths?

For my GCSEs I got a BB in science and C in maths (A/A* in everything else) but I did do IGCSEs which are considered much harder?

It might be very farfetched and I don't like the idea that I might have just wasted my entire first year of college but I am considering it... Just need some advice

As far as doing 3 years at college are concerned, you should be ok. The A Levels typically desired for Medicine are going to be completely different from what you're studying, so you won't actually be spending 2 years at A2 / AS in the same subjects, which is what they generally have a problem with.

However, where you will run into problems is if you get to interview - they'll know you'll have "restarted" your A Levels and will probably drill you on that - they generally want to see a lot of dedication and commitment in their applicants, so be prepared for "Why the sudden change of heart?" etc. Best answer for that is "I always wanted to do Medicine but I shy'd away from doing the A Levels in light of my GCSE performance - I fully intended to apply access via a foundation year program but in the end decided to give myself as strong a scientific background as possible". Get as much work experience in as possible, and good luck!
Original post by TwilightKnight
Wrong. The only A Level you *need* is Chemistry. Some Universities want both, and it's undoubtedly a good idea to have Biology (I'm a year in and neither A Level has been particularly useful since you have to go back to the start and learn it all again in much greater detail - A Level is way too simplified) but you do not need it to apply to every Medical school.

If we're being technical here then you don't need Chemistry for UEA. Almost all of those that don't need Biology to A2 want it to AS or some just want another science. I actually found A level Biology pretty useful, chemistry not so much.

Point is that if you want to maximise the choice of unis you can apply to, which you should obviously be aiming for, then go for chemistry and biology.
(edited 11 years ago)
As well as what has already been said, with only a C at Maths GCSE (whether IGCSE or not) you will be significantly limited in where you can apply, as most places want at least a B, so you may wish to retake that. You don't need Maths A-level though.
Original post by coconut2456
If we're being technical here then you don't need Chemistry for UEA. Almost all of those that don't need Biology to A2 want it to AS or some just want another science. I actually found A level Biology pretty useful, chemistry not so much.

Point is that if you want to maximise the choice of unis you can apply to, which you should obviously be aiming for, then go for chemistry and biology.

I think UEA have changed it for 2013 entry, so that you now need chemistryy
Original post by jessplease
I think UEA have changed it for 2013 entry, so that you now need chemistryy

Nope.
For September 2013 entry

All applicants must have a minimum of six GCSE (or equivalent) passes at grade A or above to include English, Maths and two Science subjects. GCSE short courses are not accepted.

If you are a European or International applicant we require that you include details of formal qualifications taken up to age 16, together with current/completed studies on your UCAS form.

A Levels

AAA to include Biology/Human Biology and one other science plus AS level grade B in a 4th subject

Second science subject from Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics or Further Mathematics.

NB. Combinations of Mathematics and Further Mathematics not accepted at A2/AS level. We are looking for 4 separate subjects, three at full A level and one at AS as a minimum. We consider Mathematics and Further Mathematics as one subject area.

General Studies and Critical Thinking not accepted at A2 or AS level.
Hi all :smile:

I have just finished AS exams and we are being asked what subject we would like to drop. I currently do: Maths, Bio, Chem and Politics.

I was struggling with maths this year and want to drop it but my teacher said getting into medicine would be difficult if I was doing Politics and claimed it is not favourable among universities.

Will doing Bio, Chem and Politics affect my chances of getting into medicine next year?

I would have thought doing Biology and Chemistry would mean my third choice was not so relevant :s-smilie:

Please share any insight you may have on this matter! Thank you!
I'd disagree wholeheartedly.
I did a module at university this year about the history of medicine from 1800 - present. The only assessment question was 'Medicine is the pursuit of politics by other means'. The medical world is intrinsically linked to the political, i.e. when does someone move from life into death (sounds straightforward, but think about people with low brain activity and the law regarding assisted suicide) and understanding that link between the medical world and the impacts it has on the political can't do you any harm!
I did biology, chemistry & geography at A2 as well as English lit at AS.... Only a handful of med schools require maths
No; biology, chemistry, and politics to A2 would be fine.
I did English Lit as my third A level and in interviews, when i was asked about it, it seemed like they viewed a bit of a difference in subjects as a positive!

Just try and think about what skills applicable to medicine it will have helped you develop so you can talk about them if asked :smile: Good luck!
My third A2 is German :biggrin:
And my third is history!

It's always better to do something a bit 'different' and get the three AAAs, than go with maths and not.
My third A2 is history.

Go for it if you wanna do politics. It's an academic subject if I understand correctly. You don't even need Maths at AS for medicine. Plus, politics is a far more interesting subject than maths.

Latest

Trending

Trending