Reply 3240
Original post by Princess008
i dont know what i want to be/ do in the future so what do you think about this
1) chemistry , biology, maths, history
2)biology,maths ,history ,economics
3)chemistry,maths,history ,economics
which one should i do. i'm good at all of them but i've never done economics

please quote me!! thank you

Well considering you posted this in the medicine subforum I would say the first option :wink:
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I would think the advice from Cambridge was referring only to Cambridge, to be honest.

I think that is how I will choose to think of it anyway. Otherwise I'll only worry :P

I think I just need to really decide whether I want to drop it because of the subject or the teacher. And unfortunately I did recently find out she's teaching us next year too :frown:

And of course, my choice will rely heavily on my grades come August.
Original post by Sarcastic_Sazza
I think that is how I will choose to think of it anyway. Otherwise I'll only worry :P

I think I just need to really decide whether I want to drop it because of the subject or the teacher. And unfortunately I did recently find out she's teaching us next year too :frown:

And of course, my choice will rely heavily on my grades come August.

Yeah, your grades in August should give you a better idea I would say.
Reply 3243
biology & chemistry
Reply 3244
Hello, at my college General Studies is compulsory for everyone. I know most/all unis say that it is 'not accepted' as a subject but I was wondering if that means that it can't count as one of your three A Levels or whether that means that the UCAS points don't count or something like that..
Also was wondering the same about f.maths - whether the unis that say that they don't count it mean that they don't count it as one of your 3 A2s or whether it doesn't count for anything at all.
Usually unis will specify whether or not they include general studies in their offers; and for most courses at most unis, they don't. Same thing with UCAS points, although unis who ask for a set amount of UCAS points are more likely to include the points that you'll gain from GS.
for med schools they won't count GS in the three A levels, Barts however will include it in your UCAS points.

As for FM, most will accept it as a full A level, however that's sort of a moot point if you already have Bio, Chem and Maths.
Reply 3247
Ah okay thanks, the unis I'm looking at all say that they don't include GS, I wasn't expecting them to, I was just wondering what exactly that meant (:
Reply 3248
Hello :-) i'm in secondary school and soon I'll be choosing my A-levels. I know that for medicine I should do chemistry and biology, but i'm not sure about my remaining options. I'm doing quite well, so i hope to do 4/5 AS-levels. Apart from chemistry and biology, i want to do physics/maths and possibly classical civilisations or german...? What are your thoughts on that? Is it good to have a non-science subject (like classics/german) as the 3rd A-Level?

I would also be grateful, if I could have some general advice on studying medicine. Work experience (I'm starting a st. John's Ambulance course soon)? Any books to read?

Thank you.
Reply 3249
I would say do 4 a levels as it's more attractive on an application than one with 3. I would recommend maths plus one other contrasting subject to complement the science. I did Latin as my 4th a level along with bio chem and maths!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3250
Original post by eggy_nog
I would say do 4 a levels as it's more attractive on an application than one with 3. I would recommend maths plus one other contrasting subject to complement the science. I did Latin as my 4th a level along with bio chem and maths!

It really isn't unless the OP is considering Barts. Just choose what ever subject you enjoy and are likely to get an A in.
The only essential ones are bio and chemistry. Pick what you enjoy and what you will do well in.
Reply 3252
As for work experience you need placement at a GP surgery, long term volunteering at a care home and some hospital experience. It's more about what you gain from it than the quantity though - although the volunteering kinda does need to be one or two years to really show commitment

Original post by dawidos
Hello :-) i'm in secondary school and soon I'll be choosing my A-levels. I know that for medicine I should do chemistry and biology, but i'm not sure about my remaining options. I'm doing quite well, so i hope to do 4/5 AS-levels. Apart from chemistry and biology, i want to do physics/maths and possibly classical civilisations or german...? What are your thoughts on that? Is it good to have a non-science subject (like classics/german) as the 3rd A-Level?

Any of those are fine. I wouldn't say a non-science subject is any better than a science subject - just do what you enjoy/are good at.
Reply 3254
Original post by InBloom
Hello, at my college General Studies is compulsory for everyone. I know most/all unis say that it is 'not accepted' as a subject but I was wondering if that means that it can't count as one of your three A Levels or whether that means that the UCAS points don't count or something like that..
Also was wondering the same about f.maths - whether the unis that say that they don't count it mean that they don't count it as one of your 3 A2s or whether it doesn't count for anything at all.

General studies will not be counted as one of your 3 A levels unless otherwise specified. Further Maths, some universities will accept maths and f maths as two separate subjects whilst others will not. You will have to contact the universities you wish to apply to directly to enquire about this.

:smile:

via TSR Mobile App. Excuse any typos. =]
Hi, I've just finished my GCSE's, and I am hoping to study medicine at University. I've chosen these subjects for A Level: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, and History. (and an accelerated AS in Critical Thinking, but I doubt that's relevant, as it's not counted)
But, someone said something the other day about how good universities want you to take 3 sciences - and you're more likely to get in that way.

So, as taking Maths isn't an option for me, I was thinking of changing Psychology to Physics - I'm predicted an A* in this, but I do find it's because I'm good at remembering stuff rather than knowledge of the subject, as it bores me, and I do find Maths to be struggling at some times (predicted A, maybe scraping an A* at Maths), and Physics is a practical application of Maths.

I'm in a bit of a predicament, as I've looked at some Uni's, and places like Imperial's wording of how many science subjects needed is ambiguous. And for the place I really would like to go (Edinburgh) even though it SAYS I only need Bio and Chem at A2, most applicants that get in (that I've seen on here) have three sciences/maths, maybe more.

So is it really true you need three sciences/maths to get into Edinburgh and maybe Imperial? Do I need to change? Does anyone have any statistics on entry? (like % of entry for those with two/three sciences)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3256
Original post by jay-cee-em
Hi, I've just finished my GCSE's, and I am hoping to study medicine at University. I've chosen these subjects for A Level: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, and History. (and an accelerated AS in Critical Thinking, but I doubt that's relevant, as it's not counted)
But, someone said something the other day about how good universities want you to take 3 sciences - and you're more likely to get in that way.

So, as taking Maths isn't an option for me, I was thinking of changing Psychology to Physics - I'm predicted an A* in this, but I do find it's because I'm good at remembering stuff rather than knowledge of the subject, as it bores me, and I do find Maths to be struggling at some times (predicted A, maybe scraping an A* at Maths), and Physics is a practical application of Maths.

I'm in a bit of a predicament, as I've looked at some Uni's, and places like Imperial's wording of how many science subjects needed is ambiguous. And for the place I really would like to go (Edinburgh) even though it SAYS I only need Bio and Chem at A2, most applicants that get in (that I've seen on here) have three sciences/maths, maybe more.

So is it really true you need three sciences/maths to get into Edinburgh and maybe Imperial? Do I need to change? Does anyone have any statistics on entry? (like % of entry for those with two/three sciences)

Just because most applicants on here who got in to Edinburgh have three sciences does not mean they were selected based on their A level choices. If Edinburgh says they only need Bio and Chem then that's all they need. I would call Imperial and ask whether your A level combination would be acceptable. As for pretty much all the other medical schools, your chosen subjects are absolutely fine.
Reply 3257
Original post by Frankster
How much do you like Chemistry? If you are taking Chemistry because you need it... IT'S A BAD CHOICE! If you are taking Chem because you like it, then Medicine is good for you. In which case you should take Maths as well (don't need to take Physics). Work a little harder on Maths and you will be a far stronger applicant than having Psychology with you.

History is a good 4th contrasting AS subject, so you might want to drop it after AS and concentrate hard on Bio and Chem (possibly Maths) because Chem is a tough subject that you need to do really well in, in order to do Medicine at a good uni.

Critical Thinking may help you in BMAT (if you take it).

How? Unless stated, Subject choices do not form a part of the selection process. The idea of Maths being required for Medicine is a myth.
You say that, yet, when actually speaking to Oxbridge/other top Uni's they say that they want their applicants to be stretched at their A levels which will help them at Uni as well because obv the gap between A level and UG stuff is big and Unis normally ask for 3 good Science subjects for Medicine.

Psychology is a "grey matter" subject in terms of deciding whether its a science a level or not. 80% think it is not, whereas others think it is.

I don't agree that having maths for medicine is a myth. Cambridge particularly likes applicants having maths in nearly all of its courses.

And how is any of what you just said relevant to medicine?

There are many students (studying medicine) at many so called "top universities" (this concept if not applicable to medicine, as medical schools are all on par.) who have done so called "grey" A Levels including Drama and Dance. In fact UCL and Peninsula Medical Schools actually give slight preference to contrasting subjects such as these.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3259
You say that, yet, when actually speaking to Oxbridge/other top Uni's they say that they want their applicants to be stretched at their A levels which will help them at Uni as well because obv the gap between A level and UG stuff is big and Unis normally ask for 3 good Science subjects for Medicine.

Psychology is a "grey matter" subject in terms of deciding whether its a science a level or not. 80% think it is not, whereas others think it is.

I don't agree that having maths for medicine is a myth. Cambridge particularly likes applicants having maths in nearly all of its courses.

Actually apart from Cambridge, no other medical school asks that.
Why don't you have a look at this link http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_Application_Myth_Busting It's addressed within the first few lines.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending