The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Have you had a look here to see what subjects are required?

EDIT: Beaten. :p:
Diaz89
like?

*unis don't necessarily forbid doing sociology a level
*theres no such thing as a good uni for medicine - they're all pretty much on par; all that differs is the style of teaching.
Diaz89
like?

1) What constitutes a 'good' medical school? why is imperial any better than anywhere else?

2) Find me a source that is non-anecdotal that says imperial college school of medicine (or any other medical school) have a specific preference for mathematics at A level (Cambridge may be a slight exception to the general trend).

3) What's wrong with sociology? Do you have a source that indicates it is a poor choice in subject for admissions to medical school? or are you just going off the fact that it's not a science?

:colone:
Reply 23
Medicine Man
*unis don't necessarily forbid doing sociology a level
*theres no such thing as a good uni for medicine - they're all pretty much on par; all that differs is the style of teaching.

No I didn't say it was forbidden I said it is encouraged as I read on the Imperial website.

Yes I know but why is it harder to get into Imperial if they're all the same :confused:
Reply 24
Diaz89
No I didn't say it was forbidden I said it is encouraged as I read on the Imperial website.

Yes I know but why is it harder to get into Imperial if they're all the same :confused:

lol Diaz ignore him, hes acting dumb...
Diaz89

Who says it's any harder to get into imperial than the other schools?
Diaz89

So long as you have proof to say it was encouraged to do maths and not sociology, thats fine. The only proof I have was from the TSR Wiki and thats what I gave.

Myth717

:lolwut: where did you come from?
Reply 27
John Locke
1) What constitutes a 'good' medical school? why is imperial any better than anywhere else?

2) Find me a source that is non-anecdotal that says imperial college school of medicine (or any other medical school) have a specific preference for mathematics at A level (Cambridge may be a slight exception to the general trend).

3) What's wrong with sociology? Do you have a source that indicates it is a poor choice in subject for admissions to medical school? or are you just going off the fact that it's not a science?

:colone:

1) One that it is much harder/more competitive to get in than the rest, intensive course tailor made for its more than able students, has stellar international reputation reflective of the output of the university.

2)http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/medicine/undergraduatecourses/mbbs

The minimum entry requirements for this course are as follows: three A levels, including chemistry and/or biology and one science or mathematics subject, and one additional subject at AS level.
:rolleyes:

3) I have no problem with sociology, i took myself but it is not a subject that suits a science based degree.
Reply 28
Myth717

No, nearly every single University literally doesn't want prospective medicine students to take arts based subjects at A Level.
Diaz89
1) One that is much harder/more competitive to get in than the rest, intensive course tailor made for its more than able students, has stellar international reputation reflective of the output of the university.

How are you measuring 'harder/more competitive to get in'? School put different weighting on different criteria so can you truly compare them so simply? Intensive with what, more scientific content? does that make it a better place to go to? I'm not even going to comment on anything regarding reputation.

So Chemistry and one of;

Biology,
Physics
Mathematics.

OP indicates taking Biology thus this criteria is fufilled. Note that in your own quotation of the admissions criteria there is no mention of any further limitations on the 3rd A level (i.e. does not discourage sociology). Also it by no means specifies that mathematics is any more preferable to Biology or Physics nor does is indicate any kind of advantage in taking it as a 3rd A level.

Diaz89
3) I have no problem with sociology, i took myself but it is not a subject that suits a science based degree.

Seeing as it's part of many schools undergraduate medical curriculum i can see it might be quite a useful thing to have. Medicine is far from a intensely scientific degree (at least in most schools).
Reply 30
John Locke
How are you measuring 'harder/more competitive to get in'? School put different weighting on different criteria so can you truly compare them so simply? Intensive with what, more scientific content? does that make it a better place to go to? I'm not even going to comment on anything regarding reputation.

The number of A's required to enter and the standard of those A's (3 A's is the minimum as well), the number of students who apply outweighs those who enter.

Intensive, as in the content is more detailed and "bulky" so to speak so requires students who can keep up that's why the entrance requirement is structured so that only the most able enter.

Most people who refuse to comment on the reputation usually don't have anything valid to say...

John Locke
So Chemistry and one of;

Biology,
Physics
Mathematics.

OP indicates taking Biology thus this criteria is fufilled. Note that in your own quotation of the admissions criteria there is no mention of any further limitations on the 3rd A level (i.e. does not discourage sociology). Also it by no means specifies that mathematics is any more preferable to Biology or Physics nor does is indicate any kind of advantage in taking it as a 3rd A level.

No, Chemistry and Biology are basically mandatory if you want to stand a chance of being accepted and then they are required to take a further A level in either Mathematics or Sciences, not Arts.

"three A levels, including chemistry and/or biology and one science or mathematics subject"

John Locke
Seeing as it's part of many schools undergraduate medical curriculum i can see it might be quite a useful thing to have. Medicine is far from a intensely scientific degree (at least in most schools).

WTF :no:
Reply 31
Medicine Man
So long as you have proof to say it was encouraged to do maths and not sociology, thats fine. The only proof I have was from the TSR Wiki and thats what I gave.

:lolwut: where did you come from?

The moon.
Philosoraptor
Aha, the problems of missing out a single comma!

See if you can work out where it should go. :smile:

HINT: think third person singular one. :smile:

It still doesn't make sense to me? Double negative?
I've just done my AS's in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History
I felt having an arts subject was a nice contrast for myself - seriously looking at a timetable jammed full of science is very depressing! Also I'm hoping the essay writting will help in the BMAT =)
But as for Unis, I'm not convinced it makes much difference. Although some unis would prefer a 'contrasting' subject, a high proportion of applicants have 4 sciences.
So basically if you can get a good grade in physics it's no problem at all =)
becca2389
It still doesn't make sense to me? Double negative?

Well possibly - but I was very tired :smile:

But in my head it read:

And can I just reinforce the above mentioned fact, that no, one does not need maths to study medicine!!

Does that make more sense?
Reply 35
I'm doing Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Psychology and i want to do medicine too. Is there a problem with my subject choices with regards to getting onto the medicine course at Uni?
Reply 36
Im doing Maths, Chem , Biology and Geography
Physics is The Best :biggrin:, and really intresting.

(Bio is really intresting too and chem is fun)

:biggrin:
I start the medicine course at UCL in september. I did chem, physics, bio and maths at A2. I also know people who have only done 2 science subjects and 2 arts and they also have medical places. My advice is to do the subjects you enjoy the most, you have a better chance of doing well at them. There is not that much emphasis on A level choice since a medical application is considered from the overall picture and A-levels end up as only a small part of this. Chemisty and Biology are the 2 that will help you the most both in applying and in doing the medical course. hope this is some help!
all of u can anyone realy help me

Latest

Trending

Trending