The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by presidentofwhat?

loads of unis just glance at a-levels

No they don't.

This is the first check, and if you don't pass that, your PS will never even be read.
Original post by sydneybridge
It never is actually this simple. Both will score highly if the Uni has not specified a third subject, and no two PS are ever the same.

Original post by sydneybridge
No they don't.

This is the first check, and if you don't pass that, your PS will never even be read.

Why have you quoted posts that are almost 6 years old?
Original post by ForestCat
Why have you quoted posts that are almost 6 years old?

In which case its clearly time to start a new thread isnt it - because tons of the info on here will now be totally out of date!
Hey guys, so basically I want to do medicine when I'm older so I'm taking chemistry, biology and maths. But I need a 4th a level and I'm not sure which one to choose... so help pls

I'm not looking for any creative a-levels because I'm not good with stuff like that.

Original post by flowernukes
Hey guys, so basically I want to do medicine when I'm older so I'm taking chemistry, biology and maths. But I need a 4th a level and I'm not sure which one to choose... so help pls

I'm not looking for any creative a-levels because I'm not good with stuff like that.

Well, what do you enjoy?

You could do psychology, it's something you'll definitely come across in medicine, and it's easier than your other 3 subjects.

Humanities are stronger, and harder subjects. If you enjoy history or geography, then that would be ideal.

Or you could do something less relevant, such as a language or computing.

Basically, you can do anything. I would recommend that you go for a 'softer' a level, or one that just comes easily to you. What were your favourite GCSEs?
Original post by flowernukes

Do physics, some universities require chemistry and another science, if u fail bio you always have physics to back u up. It would work nice alongside maths too.
Physics would open the most doors with the combination of 3 sciences and maths. That's good if you need a backup plan if you get less than AAA.

However it is a notoriously difficult subject. Personally, I find it harder than chemistry and biology. You will need at least C in your 4th subject for some unis, so bare that in mind.
Hi guys.

I'm sure on doing Maths Biology and chemistry at A level. But for my fourth subject that I intend on dropping at A2, I'm still unsure on whether to do physics or psychology.
Some say students that study Physics as their 4th a level / AS level instead of psychology are in advantage. Apparently Universities like Cambridge will choose the student that has Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics instead of Maths biology Chemistry and psychology if two students have the same grades..

Is this correct?
Original post by Shamim1
Hi guys.

I'm sure on doing Maths Biology and chemistry at A level. But for my fourth subject that I intend on dropping at A2, I'm still unsure on whether to do physics or psychology.
Some say students that study Physics as their 4th a level / AS level instead of psychology are in advantage. Apparently Universities like Cambridge will choose the student that has Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics instead of Maths biology Chemistry and psychology if two students have the same grades..

Is this correct?

I'm aware there's a bit of a demand for doctors to have more awareness of psychology - mental health issues. Also having studied psychology, biology and chemistry; psychology is a piece of cake compared to the other two.
I'm unsure whether physics is more advantageous, but it'll be a lot more difficult than psych.
Original post by prophetkid
I'm aware there's a bit of a demand for doctors to have more awareness of psychology - mental health issues. Also having studied psychology, biology and chemistry; psychology is a piece of cake compared to the other two.
I'm unsure whether physics is more advantageous, but it'll be a lot more difficult than psych.

Yeah I've found that medicine has a fair bit of content related to psychology which would make the a level more useful and after reviewing the spec, it seems to be mainly a case of memorising the content.

Thanks, I may consider making contact with the universities
Original post by Shamim1
Yeah I've found that medicine has a fair bit of content related to psychology which would make the a level more useful and after reviewing the spec, it seems to be mainly a case of memorising the content.

Thanks, I may consider making contact with the universities

If you find it easy to remember a lot of studies/theories etc then it's an easy A grade!
If you find it easy to remember a lot of studies/theories etc then it's an easy A grade!

Him aware you did A levels biology,chemistry and psychology; may i ask what subjects did you do in addition to them?
Original post by Shamim1
Him aware you did A levels biology,chemistry and psychology; may i ask what subjects did you do in addition to them?

I originally took Maths, Bio, Psych.
I didn't like Maths one bit, and the teacher didn't really teach to my liking, so I swapped it for Chemistry :smile:
Original post by Shamim1
Hi guys.

Is this correct?

Either subject will be fine, that last bit is absolutely false. Some Cambridge colleges require three sciences, but you already fulfil that criteria. Take which ever subject you will enjoy most and are most likely to get an A in.
Either subject will be fine, that last bit is absolutely false. Some Cambridge colleges require three sciences, but you already fulfil that criteria. Take which ever subject you will enjoy most and are most likely to get an A in.

Are you a medical student?
No-one will care, just do amazing in your main 3, admissions tests, GCSEs etc. Physics "looks" better because it's a more traditional A level

If you think you won't do very well in it/you dislike it, drop it - it won't get you into medicine. And it's very unlikely that "two students are exactly the same etc." if that's the case, Oxford would pick better interview performance and Cambridge would probably pick better academic profile (namely BMAT).

EDIT: just saw your above post, yep am a medical student in London. Never applied to Oxbridge, but have friends there etc. Very familiar with the system as I volunteer-tutor medical applicants etc. If you want to get into Cambridge, get high 6s in section 1 and 2 of BMAT and you're practically in (plus good UMS at AS would be icing on the cake).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Shamim1
Are you a medical student?

Yes
I originally took Maths, Bio, Psych.
I didn't like Maths one bit, and the teacher didn't really teach to my liking, so I swapped it for Chemistry :smile:

Interesting. Nice combination.
Yes

Would you mind if I asked:
What university are you at?
What A Levels and AS levels did you do?
What grades did you then get?
How many years have you been studying medicine?
Did you do the UKcat / BMAT / BOTH?
Original post by Shamim1
Would you mind if I asked:
What university are you at?
What A Levels and AS levels did you do?
What grades did you then get?
How many years have you been studying medicine?
Did you do the UKcat / BMAT / BOTH?

My answers will be of little relevance to you as I am a grad.

Latest

Trending

Trending