The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

funsize17
I'm doing Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Psychology and i want to do medicine too. Is there a problem with my subject choices with regards to getting onto the medicine course at Uni?

Nope. I did Chemistry, Biology, Music and English Literature which is arguably less relevant than what you're doing and I still got two offers (and wasn't rejected for my choice of subject).
Philosoraptor
Well possibly - but I was very tired :smile:

But in my head it read:

And can I just reinforce the above mentioned fact, that no, one does not need maths to study medicine!!

Does that make more sense?

Yeah, you really need the comma in there! Bad punctuation *slap over wrist* :p:
Reply 42
Hey there
I can't see any issues with those subjects, Some Uni's like something that is non-science and as has already been said sociology is part of many medicine degree's. Just out of interest are you taking another subject as AS? Have you got any particular schools in mind yet?
x
Miss.C
Hey there
I can't see any issues with those subjects, Some Uni's like something that is non-science and as has already been said sociology is part of many medicine degree's. Just out of interest are you taking another subject as AS? Have you got any particular schools in mind yet?
x

not really what ever will accept me ill be happy to go, do you think in medicine there is a part where sociology plays a part, just as maths etc play a part.thnxx
Reply 44
Guys, I know this is a weird AS Level but I did AS level RE in year 11 and I successfully passed it with grade B.

My original AS choices were Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Sociology and I plan to drop Sociology at A2.

Now, after achieving grade B already in AS RE would medical school put the last AS level into consideration or shall I just do Sociology?
Reply 45
Jhyzone
Guys, I know this is a weird AS Level but I did AS level RE in year 11 and I successfully passed it with grade B.

My original AS choices were Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Sociology and I plan to drop Sociology at A2.

Now, after achieving grade B already in AS RE would medical school put the last AS level into consideration or shall I just do Sociology?
They won't take it into consideration when making you an offer. But you have an extra qualification and that rarely hurts.
Reply 46
I'm down for biology, chemistry, physics and psychology. I toyed with the idea of maybe doing a contrasting subject instead of physics but not only do I find physics interesting I did really well at GCSE so I figure I can get a good grade at A Level. Oh and I know theres a huge difference between GCSE and A Level before anybody mentions it lol! I work really hard and am fully prepared...I think :biggrin:
Reply 47
stallion007
not really what ever will accept me ill be happy to go, do you think in medicine there is a part where sociology plays a part, just as maths etc play a part.thnxx

Yeah there certianly is a place for sociology in medicine. At SGUL we have three main themes one of which is Personal and professional development which includes sociology, it may also be something that you could pick up in SSC/SSM's etc in the future.

Having something extra that makes you stand out will not harm your application in this case, it may even give you stuff to discuss in interviews etc :smile:
Reply 48
My cousin has chosen Chemistry, Biology and Sociology (economics too but will drop in 2nd year) as A Levels with a view to do Medicine or Dentistry but hopefully medicine.

Ive checked some uni site and I cant see this being a problem.

Further advice here would be most welcome.
Reply 49
Aye, Chemistry is the big one, not all require Biology, third subject shouldn't matter too much. I think his subject choice is fine. I have no clue what dentistry requires though.
dont you need some sort of physics or maths
Reply 51
Medicine is REALLY competitive, and unis like it if you have 3 science/maths subjects. And they tend to look down on "softer" subjects such as sociology. So I would recommend for your cousin to change sociology to maths or physics.
there all chatting rubbish, univerisitys dont mind a person having an art subject so that its shows hes not only focused in science and is like a nerd,good choice
Reply 53
dental
Chemistry (necessary), Biology (most require) and Sociology is fine for Dentistry.

P.S. You don't need Maths or Physics, so ignore the above posts that say you do. They don't know what they are talking about.

Candidate A:
Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics

Candidate B:
Chemistry, Biology and Sociology

Both have great GCSEs and personal statement, who's more likely to be chosen and what will be the deciding factor?
emanuel_arsenalfc

Only if you apply to certain colleges at cambridge or oxford.

Everywhere else doesnt need them in any way, shape or form.
ispyder
Candidate A:

Candidate B:

Both have great GCSEs and personal statement, who's more likely to be chosen and what will be the deciding factor?

Whatever the deciding factor is, it wont be the subjects :rolleyes:
Reply 57
I think it would be better if she carried on Economics to A2.
ispyder
Candidate A:

Candidate B:

how they perform at interview maybe??
loads of unis just glance at a-levels and make sure you have the minimum requirements grade-wise..
choices seem fine to me
Reply 59
presidentofwhat?
how they perform at interview maybe??
loads of unis just glance at a-levels and make sure you have the minimum requirements grade-wise..
choices seem fine to me

yeah, I'm no expert being in sixth form, I was asking for myself as much as the OP... I would've imagined they'd prefer a traditional subject over a newer a level.

Latest