The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

xSkyFire
I have the crappest grades for a Medicine applicant around here, no A*'s btw but for A levels have Chemistry, Biology, Maths, English and Physics. Predicted AAAAa so it goes to show it's possible even if you're not super smart. My crap GCSEs were mainly due to no one telling me GCSEs were actually important for Medicine. All I got told was get 5 A-C's which I did with minimal effort lol..

So you were only prepared to do the absolute minimum amount of work required to get what you thought were acceptable GCSEs?

That's an awesome attitude to have.
MTKfrench
I didn't say they require 3 science/maths subjects, I said they like it. And sociology may be a part of medical courses, but its still seen as a 'soft' subject, and having traditional subjects such as maths or physics would be beneficial when applying for one (if not the) most competitive courses.

Where's your proof that they like an extra science/maths subject even if they don't require it? And tell me exactly where a medical school says that sociology is a soft subject? Really, I'd like you to back up your sweeping generalisation with some hard evidence! And don't bring up Trinity's blacklist either - that's one college and not representative of all UK medical schools, or even Cambridge's medical school for that matter.
Do it if you want to do it, but it's not going to give you an advantage.

There's no harm in trialling 5 subjects for the start of term and see how you get on. I was notorious in school for changing round my subjects.
Reply 83
jeremybag
guessing you went from not so great GCSEs to 4A's at AS to be predicted that.

heh, well not quite
I got an A for Biology, 300/300 UMS
A for Chemistry
B for english that was 3 UMS off an A
C for maths (lol didn't even finish C2)

Anyway no one at my school did work, if you see a state school in East London you'll know what I mean. I was 15 at the time so Mario Kart was more important to me :o: :p:
becca2389
Where's your proof that they like an extra science/maths subject even if they don't require it? And tell me exactly where a medical school says that sociology is a soft subject? Really, I'd like you to back up your sweeping generalisation with some hard evidence! And don't bring up Trinity's blacklist either - that's one college and not representative of all UK medical schools, or even Cambridge's medical school for that matter.

you showed him right. go girl:P
Not sure if i'm actually allowed to ask a question in this thread :s-smilie: but here goes.

My AS results were AAAB in Biology, Chemistry, History and Maths respectively. I think i can boost maths up to an A as i just messed up the S1 module. So do you think i should drop history (which i found really hard) or carry on with all four. I know uni's say they dont prefer 4 subjects but imperial state they make offers of AAAC, so is this subtly implying that they prefer 4 A2's :confused: please help :o:
Reply 86
I am having troubles in what courses to choose in A-levels...

I picked Maths, Chemistry, Psychology and English Literature

More specifically I want to be aSurgeon. Although, its fine if not Surgery, as long as its a field in Medicine.

I have no choice guys... I'm only allowed to choose 1 science subject because of my GCSE grades....I know I flopped at GCSE. But this time, I am going to do my best to get it all As. As they say, A-levels are much more important than GCSE.

I'm about to enrol on Friday though. I could persuade the advisor to allow me to do 2 sciences. (My grade on Additional Science is about 5 marks away to a B) / (BB is the entry requirement, and I got BC)

I wish it would happen!....

But if it wouldn't....are my choices still okay? Any other Medical fields I can do in University with these subjects other than Surgery?
crazy_smurf
Not sure if i'm actually allowed to ask a question in this thread :s-smilie: but here goes.

My AS results were AAAB in Biology, Chemistry, History and Maths respectively. I think i can boost maths up to an A as i just messed up the S1 module. So do you think i should drop history (which i found really hard) or carry on with all four. I know uni's say they dont prefer 4 subjects but imperial state they make offers of AAAC, so is this subtly implying that they prefer 4 A2's :confused: please help :o:

imperial say they want

AAAb if taking 3 A2s 1 As

if you do 4 they want AAAC so to me it looks like they are gettin more applicants who do 4 not directly meaning they want 4

i'd drop history if you're finding it hard and not enjoying it
When you graduate you've got a degree in both Medicine and surgery...
If you want to do surgery you must go to medical school first. And once you have completed it then you can go on to specialize in surgery and what not.
Reply 90
Niveken13
I picked Maths, Chemistry, Psychology and English Literature

More specifically a Surgeon. Although, its fine if not Surgery, as long as its a field in Medicine.

I have no choice guys... I'm only allowed to choose 1 science subject because of my GCSE grades....I know I flopped at GCSE. But this time, I am going to do my best to get it all As. As they say, A-levels are much more important than GCSE.

I'm about to enrol on Friday though. I could persuade the advisor to allow me to do 2 sciences. (My grade on Additional Science is about 5 marks away to a B) / (BB is the entry requirement, and I got BC)

I wish it would happen!....

But if it wouldn't....are my choices still okay? Any other Medical fields I can do in University with these subjects other than Surgery?

If you're talking about AS,then it'd be best if you take Biology and Chemistry,since the majority of universities want both at AS Level...do a bit of research on different unis and see what they want,that should give you a fair idea :smile: And I agree with Rollerball and Liverpool F.C about surgery.
Reply 91
Ooops sorry...was really worried, Didnt even checked the typo errors. I'm still about to do my A-levels...I'm having troubles on what subjects to choose in A-levels...
Reply 92
Yes, I just finished GCSE and about to do AS-Levels...
Reply 93
Check this out here...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

Note that the table is currently being updated so should only be used as a guide.
xSkyFire
My crap GCSEs were mainly due to no one telling me GCSEs were actually important for Medicine. All I got told was get 5 A-C's which I did with minimal effort lol..

Bit of a cop out really. Medical schools will look for people who strive to do their best in what they do without needing to be motivated by a third party. You might want to think up a better excuse for your PS / interviews. You'll also be up against people who managed at least 7 or 8 A* or As with minimal effort...
Reply 95
becca2389
Do it if you want to do it, but it's not going to give you an advantage.

This.

You can if you really want to for the sake of it, but it won't give you an advantage as most universities make offers on the basis of 3 A Levels. If you think it could drag down your subjects, don't bother, but if it's something you really want to study, go for it.
Reply 96
OrmondDrone
Bit of a cop out really. Medical schools will look for people who strive to do their best in what they do without needing to be motivated by a third party. You might want to think up a better excuse for your PS / interviews. You'll also be up against people who managed at least 7 or 8 A* or As with minimal effort...

Heh, fair enough. I do work hard at it now though, to be fair people do mature the most through the ages of 16->18. That was true for me anyway xP
Reply 97
taking a 5th subject does put you at an advantage to other candidates as it shows you can cope with large amounts of work. I took 5 subjects, chem, bio, physics, politics and history and found it manageable. Dont get talked into doing critical thinking, i tried it, its patronizing and no help for the ukcat at all.
Reply 98
hanaruth
taking a 5th subject does put you at an advantage to other candidates as it shows you can cope with large amounts of work. I took 5 subjects, chem, bio, physics, politics and history and found it manageable. Dont get talked into doing critical thinking, i tried it, its patronizing and no help for the ukcat at all.

It doesn't really, the medical schools will only be looking at the grades of 3 of your subjects. They would only tend to look at the other subjects if it's a tie breaker situation, which doesn't happen often, because other things like PS, UKCAT, interviews etc are more important than an extra AS Level.
Reply 99
Rainbow-Dream
I got 8 A*s (maths, physics, chem, bio, french, textiles, eng + eng lit) and 2 As (music + art) at gcse. I know A Levels are harder, but considering I started 6 gcses at the beginning of year 11 and got 5 A*s (triple science, eng + eng lit) and an A in art, would taking physics alongside bio, chem, maths and french be much harder? I'm hoping to apply for medicine if all goes to plan.

Sorry if I sound naive - and if that was explained badly... :s-smilie:

Do the 5th if you're genuinely interested and think you can balance your time effectively. Perhaps try it out for the start of the year - you can always drop out if it's getting too much. You don't want to end up dropping a grade in the critical subjects (Chemistry and Biology) as a consequence of taking a 5th.

If I were you, I would stick with Bio, Chem, Maths and French. Spend the extra time doing volunteering, practicing for BMAT/UKCAT/interview technique... these will be far more beneficial to your overall application than having a 5th AS in physics. Of course, that's not to say that people don't manage to do all these things - some people have done 5 successfully, aced the entrance tests and done xyz volunteering but I think you need to weigh this up for yourself.

Good luck :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending