The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
biology, chemesry, physics, math and further math

be a psyco...take 5
Reply 981
bio, chemistry, maths upto A2, Physics upto AS
Reply 982
Aww it sucks when people say Further Maths isn't a "real" a-level. Some of the modules are totally different to maths like the further pure ones, and it's just as much work again, if not more because it's harder!!
alfredrussell
Absolutely not necessary. You need 4 grade As at AS + predicted grades of 3As at A2. Plus, of course you need to actually get the 3A2s! Easier than getting 3A2s from 4 A levels I think. Further Maths is a waste as most Medical courses only see it as 1 subject (Sums!) and won't count it

You don't need 4As at AS.
********! Furthur Maths is considered a top A-level, and also, it isn't in your best interests to drop Furthur Maths because if you do you'll only be carrying on with 2 A levels as you've already completed the Maths A-level though Furthur Maths AS-level...
BeekieBoo
Aww it sucks when people say Further Maths isn't a "real" a-level. Some of the modules are totally different to maths like the further pure ones, and it's just as much work again, if not more because it's harder!!

By 'real', no one means its not respected - its just considered as one A level by most medical schools which means there's prob no point doing that to A2 if you want to apply to those med schools. Now apply for an economics/physics/maths degree and FM would be desirable!

My mates did FM and boy did some of that shizzle look crazy! :p: Its definitely a tough subject and not in the same league to normal maths IMO! Its just the way med schools work tbh...
Reply 986
BeekieBoo
Ok, so I'm studying Math Further Math Biology and Chemistry at the moment. I want to study Medicine at university and was wondering whether I would need to carry all 4 on to A2?

I'm interested in Edinburgh but I know they want 3A2's and 1AS but not Further maths, I have critical thinking as my AS, do I stand a chance of getting in there or is it a wasted application?

Advice please?

:smile:

Doing 4 A levels might give you a small edge but you could get the same advantage by doing something else i.e. interesting experiences/work experience/volunteer work.

By all means do 4 A levels if you can cope. It is not necessary though. If they are only asking for 3 A levels, they are only asking for 3 A levels. If you are more likely to get AAA with 3 but only AABB with 4, then go for 3. :smile:
Really! :s I didn't know that?! :s-smilie: I'm considering medicine was gonna do, chem physics maths furthur maths and history, dam shall have to revise my options lol :frown: cheers though, that post will make a diffrence to the rest of my life...
Reply 988
Onychophagia
It will hurt if they get lower grades due to doing four...

Despite the fact it gave me no advantage, I actually quite enjoyed doing four A levels. I don't know if that would be the case with you OP.

I enjoy maths, but only because I find it fairly easy + enjoy a small challenge. I think as it gets so much harder 'specially with A2 FM i'll regret taking it :|
Reply 989
Would A-level Health & Social care be useful as my 4th AS subject for my application to medical school? It's relevant but, will it be seen as a non-academic subject?

I need an academic subject as my 4th AS.
I'm choosing Chemistry, Biology, Maths and then another 4th AS.

If you don't think it's a good idea doing H&S please suggest a subject (other than physics & English) that would look good on the application.
One that would show me to be diverse, well-rounded and be relevant
Reply 990
It really depends on where you're applying. If you're applying to a uni which has an admission grade of AAA or AAB then it theoretically shouldn't make a difference but if your applying to uni with standard grade offers of AAAC then you might won't to reconsider.

Also, if your thinking about doing the BMAT then physics would be really helpful.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.
shahedul
Really! :s I didn't know that?! :s-smilie: I'm considering medicine was gonna do, chem physics maths furthur maths and history, dam shall have to revise my options lol :frown: cheers though, that post will make a diffrence to the rest of my life...

There's nothing wrong with taking it if you want to. You can drop it after AS if you want, and it looks good (at least, it can hardly look bad) to have 5 AS subjects, even if it isn't an official requirement. 5 AS -> 3 A2 is also a perfectly valid option.
Mmm, yeah And i suppose it is better preparation for A level...
Reply 993
No - you are applying for Medicine not Nursing or Social Work!
Reply 994
Some places might look down on it if it was one of your main three, but I don't see why there would be a problem if other people can get away with other (less related) subjects like business studies or whatever.
Tbh, most places say they don't care so long as you're got chem, sometimes bio, and another which isn't critical thinking/general studies.
I wouldn't take it if its just to look enthusiastic though.
No, it would not be a good idea.

I cannot recommend you a different option, as I do not know your own strengths. However, were I to do A Levels again I would choose History as my fourth AS.
No. Don't do it.
Phalanges
No, it would not be a good idea.

I cannot recommend you a different option, as I do not know your own strengths. However, were I to do A Levels again I would choose History as my fourth AS.

Hehe, history loses it's appeal around exam time :colondollar:
Erm I wouldn't think so, it's not an academic subject, and is a bit soft, I do it so I know!
I doubt it matters hugely, but something that shows you can push yourself academically is what you should go for, so I dunno maybe History or something? I dunno, but no not health and social care, I wouldn't think anyway, you could ring up a university and ask maybe? :smile:
Moe Lester
Hehe, history loses it's appeal around exam time :colondollar:

Really? I never studied it past Year 9 (I don't even have a GCSE in it) but recently I've been getting really into it, to the point where I've decided I'd quite like to do a history degree when I'm older just out of interest.

Latest

Trending

Trending